Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Re: NC 700 - No way to switch devices using the headphones

Hey Charlotte,

I receive my earphones today. Still there was no notice when I bought them (in early 2020) that this feature is basically unusable/broken. That's really not acceptable. I have the same issue as the others - the headphones are automatically choosing a laptop that is not playing any music while ignoring the phone that is playing music.

Charlotte, can you confirm that this issue has been forwarded to an engineer?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 10, 2020

+1 for this issue on 2017 MacBook Air & iPhone 11. The ability to have multiple paired devices was what pushed me to purchase the NC700s and it looks like I will be returning them.

Between accidentally changing noise cancellation levels or activating Siri every time I take the headphones on & off, and the poor pairing experience, I've been extremely disappointed with the supposed "features" on these $400 headphones.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

+1 on this issue. There is no easy way to switch between devices in the app and it is impossible to switch between devices like computer and iphone on/off. It just doesnt work unless I shut my comp down. this is a big miss by bose.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

+1

I also have problems switching between 2 bluetooth devices.  When I switch from one device (iPhone) to another device (work phone or computer) I have issues.

-a loud tick, tick, tick happens and does not stop

-I get some type of feedback (high pitch squeal)

-or the headphones restart

-when I go into the Bose app to switch between the 2 connected devices the headphones will restart, and also if I am connected to work phone and I change the NC in the app on my phone the headphones restart.

Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

same here... this works so well with my bose soundsport... but the nc 700 are terrible in that... they park trying to connect to one device, my office computer... one has to open settings to pair them... please look into it... it degrades the product considerably as the late proliferation of bluetooth devices makes this a real show stopper.

the bose apps, aside of being clunky and buggy, aren't the right way to go.

other than that i'm happy with the bose products.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

Re: NC 700 - Worst Headphone Design / Implementation to date

I have to say, this is one of the worst headphone designs implemented by Bose.  The QC35 I/II was superb. The NC700 appears to have been designed by people unfamiliar with headphone usage. It's astonishing.

Button placement defies belief:

The Siri and noise cancelling buttons are in the exact position you will place your thumb when removing the headphones.  This is 101 headphone design error.  Who allowed this to be implemented? Utter incompetence.  This results in countless annoying activations which then takes a few seconds to rectify. Do that every day and you'll soon tire of this product.

If you attempt to miss the lower two buttons, you end up hitting the power button and switching off the headphones!  I do this inadvertently day after day and it is a real irritation.  Why on earth are these headphones on a one touch on/off setting?  They should be on a hold-down for 2 seconds to power off on/off.

If not kept in case, expect accidental switching-on and a depleted battery 9/10.  Again poor implementation and frustrating for the user.

Device Switching:

Well this is complete pull-your-hair-out territory.  I cannot believe an experienced UE/UI team allowed this to pass.  It is a DISASTER, resulting in having to switch off bluetooth on other devices.

Bose - People do not to want to reach for their phones, to unlock an app, to fiddle with an interface to  make a simple adjustment to their headphones!   Get serious.  This is really annoying.

Please sort the device toggling issues and on your next gen, place the buttons on the outside. Make power a switch or hold to power on/off.

Shocking product from Bose - one step forward, 3 back.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 19, 2020

+1 on the device switching issue. This drives me nuts on a day to day basis. I am unable to switch streaming from my macbook to my Android phone. No Media Playback on macbook and the phones still won't switch.

Solution a) Use the app. Well if the app would be designed by someone who is actually using it than that might be solution:

1) The app is slow... really slow: Cut down on animations and make the most important options visible at a glance (I don't need to see a picture of my headphones which covers 2/3 of the screen. Even though the headphones are sitting on my head I know how they look like.

2) The app is not recognising the headphones, so I need to restart the headphones (which btw. mostly switches the device anyway)

3) Even if the headphones are recognized and the app would be snappier, it is still a terrible solution. Please give android users a interactive notification to switch devices

b) Disconnect one of the devices to switch the headphones. This is what I do on a daily basis. Disconnect macbook / disable bluetooth on android, then enable bluetooth again.

Overall: Even if the switching would work reliable. I don't always want to stop my media playback all the time just to listen to a voice message. Sometimes, I am not even able to stop the media playback. So the current solution is problematic in itself.

My suggestion: On pressing any button combination the headphones switch devices.

Potential inputs could be:

- Triple tap the right ear

- Double press noise canceling

- Remap the assistant button / double tap it

I praying that you can fix this with a software update.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 23, 2020

Definitely a major minus point for these headphones!

Switching Device is a relevante use case for 99,9% of the customers and having to do it through the app is just way too annoying.

Also considering that most of the times the apps either takes long to connect to the headphones or doesn't connect at all!

Had I Known it before buying them, I would have chosen differently!

Cause of this issue, I'm really considering sending the Headphones back and switching to other brands.

(Buying an older Version like QC 35 II is not an option!)

I hope Bose will soon come up with an update for it!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 27, 2020

Terrible, to just received the Headphones after a extended search for a headphones. Now using this, it fails me for the mentioned reasons. I attached Windows laptop and iPhone 11 Pro and swichting is terrible. Please solve this

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 2, 2020

The same issue for me. It is an astonishing blunder from the product management. My head seat is paired with at least 6 devices (desktop, laptop, iPad, iphone, Apple Watch, and android corporate phone), there’s no reasonable way to switch between them unlike with other Bose products. I didn’t even check this feature prior to buying because I couldn’t assume such a huge regression in UX with 400$ product can even be in question. 

I will be returning them the headset, unless I get assurances here that this will be fixed with next update.