Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

NC 700 Switching between devices

I am struggling using NC 700 with more than two devices. It is well documented that only two devices can be connected at the same time, but I am using headphones with more than two devices. I have iPhone, iPad, two desktop computers and two laptops, total six different paired devices. I almost always have at least four of them around. Sometimes, I would like to disconnect the headphones from one device and connect them to another device.

What sometimes works for me is pressing bluetooth button for one second. Headphones enter pairing mode and then if I connect from disconnected device, it connects. The problem is that it does not always work. I have to be careful to do things in very specific order and sometimes other disconnected devices connect anyway. Also, this is not very convenient. For instance, if I am disconnected from iPhone and I get a phone call that I'd like to take with my headphones, reconnecting is too much of a hustle.

Does anyone use any other method of managing connected devices? If not, can Bose please improve this experience?

I previously used Plantronics BackBeat Pro, which also support two connected and up to eight paired devices. With these, you don't have to enter pairing mode to reconnect. Any paired device will connect and oldest connected device will drop out. Same thing works with 1More True Wireless Earbuds, although these only support one connected device.

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: NC 700 Switching between devices

Hi Alexander, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are finding the device switching process difficult. You can also select which source you would like to use through the Bose Music app under the Bluetooth Source button. 

We appreciate your feedback and this will be passed along to our development team. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Same problem here.  Honestly, one of the reasons I chose the NC700 over the Sony is that I'd read that the Sony "locks on" to whatever device is connected to it, and if you want to switch devices you need to manually disconnect FROM that device before you can connect another (which is annoying even if it's sitting right to you, but a huge hassle if it's in some other room in the house).  I'd read that the QC35II was superior in this regard, allowing you to just push the Bluetooth button to cycle between paired devices, and made the incorrect assumption that the NC700 would function similarly.

I have four devices that I use the NC700 with, and although the NC700 allows two devices to be connected... I still have to go through this hassle (either hunt down one of the two currently-connected devices to disconnect it, or use the Bose app on my phone to do so).

Yes, this accomplishes the task, but I think the OP's point is that it's unnecessarily complicated.

Please implement a way to switch devices from the headphones (with no other interaction with currently-connected devices or the Bose app needed).  Actually, what I would LOVE is the ability to designate my iPhone as an always-connected device, with the second "slot" rotating between other paired devices.  That way, I'd always retain the ability to receive phone calls.

Highlighted

Hello MichaelC,

Thank you for joining the conversation and welcome to the Bose Community. 

We truly appreciate your feedback and I am sorry that your expectations were not met with this feature. I will be sure to also pass along your comments to our development team for consideration.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

Thanks Charlotte. I will try to use the app. I've had issues with the app because my iPhone gets disconnected when I switch to other devices. However, if I keep iPhone always connected and switch the second device this may work.

I do like MichaelC's advise. It would be nice if I could keep my phone connected all the time and switch second device.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

Thanks, Charlotte... even if it's not practical for a change to be made that allows for switching between devices on the headphones themselves, just eliminating how the headphones relentlessly "lock on" to the two connected devices would be welcome.  I have a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3 (earbuds) that, although they only connect to one device at a time, all you need to do to switch devices is tap "connect" on the new device (no need to disconnect from the currently-connected device first).

And just to reiterate, in this scenario it would be desirable to have the option to designate one device (such as a phone) as having a persistent connection, since presumably many people would want to always retain the connection to the phone to be able to take calls (with a pure "oldest device is disconnected" method, the phone would inevitably end up disconnected).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 7, 2019

@Charlotte_G, I tried using the app for the last couple of weeks. IMHO this approach does not work very well. First of all it requires having the phone handy. But I am trying to connect some other device, so the workflow is such that I need both phone and that device. This is inconvenient.

Also, if I walk away with my phone and come back, the phone does not always reconnect - headphones reconnect to one of the other devices and phone stays disconnected.

I think the two approaches that can work are (1) have a preferred device that will "kick out" one of the connected devices or (2) accept connection from device that tries to connect. The problem with approach (1) is that it requires that phone can always reconnect. This puts dependency on things that are out of Bose's control, .e.g. OS, noise in the environment. Also, it is fiddly because you need your phone around all the time. I think option (2) would be the best.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 29, 2019

Ive been having this problem as well since purchase. The app is too unstable to rely on it to switch connections. I press the bluetooth button as well to try to switch devices. Its works sometimes but other times the device cant switch devices. Out of three weeks of ownership I've done the reset procedure at least 12 times. Uninstalled the app 3 times. Its ridiculous. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

I'm pretty dismayed to read this thread. "Use the app on one of your connected bluetooth devices to pick which  bluetooth device to connect to" is pretty Catch-22.

The suggestion earlier to lock down one of the devices is the minimal requirement here. My headphones live next to my computers, but my cellphone travels with me - so more often than not the headphones are not available to my cell which means the app isn't connected, which means I can't choose which devices to use from the app.

Surprisingly poor user interface for a premier device; at this price point, I expect at least the same basic capabilities as the $30 pair of earbuds they replaced.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 13, 2020

I've had these headphones now for a couple days and I hate to say that I'll be returning them.

They were supposed to be an upgrade from my QC35 headphones but not having the ability to switch between devices without using a phone app is extremely inconvenient. Not only that but I also have issues with sound stuttering on my iPhone. 

Bose: How much quality control did you actually do on these? Please correct these issues or you will get a lot of folks like me deferring away from this device.