nickmyers
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2021

NC 700 audio breaking up

I've searched but not found a solution to this issue.

I purchased a NC 700 Headphone set a couple of weeks ago.

They are only connected to my MacBook Pro, playing Spotify.

The audio breaks up frequently, which sounds a bit like a crackle, like the audio is being chewed up for 1 second.  It's totally distracting, which defeats my use of the Headphones in the first place.

I tried to go through the 'initiate service request' flow, however (a) the specific issue I'm having wasn't available from the options and (b) I was offered a replacement set - which is a lot of hassle/waste if this is an issue that won't be resolved by a replacement set.

Is there anything I can do, or should I return to the vendor I purchased from as not fit for purpose?

Model Name: Bose NC 700 Headphones

Firmware: 1.8.2-11524+e0f7590

Date of Manufacture: 21 October 2020

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Operating System: 10.15.5 (19F101)

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1037.120.87.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.15300.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02ZH5MNLVDQ

Hardware UUID: 7E61F9A2-CCF3-5B77-A45A-7A3DCA026B72

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

6 REPLIES 6
Sam_F

Re: NC 700 audio breaking up

Hey nickmyers,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community. I'm sorry to hear you're encountering an audio crackling issue, but I'd be happy to help.

Does the issue only occur when using the headphones with your MacBook Pro, or have you tried connecting to other devices to play music and tested? I'd recommend first trying a product reset, and then to check the product firmware is up-to-date HERE. Let me know if these steps help at all!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
nickmyers
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2021

Thank you @Sam_F 

I did complete the product reset steps (clearing bluetooth devices from both the headphones and my MacBook Pro and paired them again).  The issue continues.

The software updater also confirmed I'm on the up-to-date version of the firmware (1.8.2).

I haven't tried using another device, the only one I have is my Samsung S10 phone, however I really need them to work on my MacBook Pro as I use this all day.   I'll see if I can get the phone set up for music and how that performs.

nickmyers
Participant
Registered since

Jan 18, 2021

For the sake of concluding the thread, after many product resets, I've decided to return the headphones as the audio breaking up is insufferable.

MrTimRo
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Hi All,

I got my Bose 700 few days ago. I also noticed that annoying crackling noise and very short cutting out while listening to music, 1-2 times per minute...

Tested on multiple devices, same issue. Also I made sure to have the latest firmware update. 

I am so disappointed to see this kind of issue happening to a premium product and further more, to see that there is no real fix available. 

I think I will also return them. 

Hector_B

Hey MrTimRo, 

Thank you for also posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to hear that the steps in this thread haven't resolved this for you. 

Let's also attempt to clear the pairing list for the headset and then reconnecting your device, you can see how to do this here. Should the issue persist, we also have a great list of troubleshooting steps that should resolve this for you here

We look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
MrTimRo
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2021

Hi Hector,

First, thanks a lot for your reply. 

I cleared the pairing list from the headset(holding the pwr button 10sec) and also from the Laptop. 

Then I paired them again only to the laptop. I played music continuously without any issue.

After a while I connected also my Iphone. This is the moment when the breaking and crackling sounds appeared again. 

At least now we know that it is happening only when 2 devices are connected simultaneously.

Having 2 devices connected at the same time is an important functionality for me as I need the headset for work and also I need to answer my mobile phone when necessary. 

Do you have any further advice? 

thanks and regards,

MrTimRo