majorwang
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

NC 700 battery life ANC on versus off

Is there a difference in battery life duration with ANC completely off (totally off, not Level 0), versus on? And is there any difference in battery duration within the 10 ANC levels?

6 REPLIES 6
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: NC 700 battery life ANC on versus off

You probably won't find much difference with battery life whether it is on or off.  If using BT that will be the main factor in determining battery usage.  When turned on (cabled or BT) you still get and active equaliser which still uses the battery.  I think anything official will just say 20 hours if using BT.

majorwang
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

Based on 3rd party review, the Sony 1000XM3 does 38 hours ANC off and 30 ANC on -- around 25% longer. It's reasonable that the 700 may also have similar battery longevity gains. But I await for an official statement from a Bose mod.

majorwang
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

Bose Mods, are you able to corroborate this?

"With quick charging, the Bose 700 can play for 2 – 2.5 hours on a 15 minute charge. Total play time with noise canceling on is roughly 20 hours, and without noise canceling turned on, that number goes up to 40."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/bose-noise-cancelling-headphones-700-review/

Hello majorwang,

This is correct in the fact that you can achieve both 20 hours and 40 hours of battery life but this is not due to the status of noise-cancellation. The 40 hours can be achieved when you use the audio cable as opposed to a Bluetooth connection as the device is only drawing power for the ANC. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

majorwang
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

Hi,

Reading between the lines, are you saying it doesn't matter when using wireless BT, if ANC is off, level 0 or level 10, the battery life is 20 hours?

Hello majorwang,

Sorry, I may not have phrased the above statement in the best way. So the NC Headphones 700 are advertised as up to 20 hours or up to 40 hours of battery life. The difference in the 20 / 40 hours is not due to ANC, this is due to the Bluetooth / wired connection. This does not mean that ANC does not affect battery life, hence the term 'up to'. Having ANC on will draw more battery power than having it off. The difference between the power drawn from the different levels is not noticeable enough to warrant a third battery specification.

I hope this clears things up for you! Do let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G