Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2020

Re: NC 700 disable noise cancel using hardware button

Hard to believe that Bose still haven't actioned any changes for this problem. Obviously a big issue for a lot of people and yet 6 months later they still haven't fixed it. If I had just purchased the headphones I would strongly consider taking them back for a refund because I've been waiting for months for an update to the firmware and app with no assurances that they will ever fix the problem.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

PLEASE LET US (NC700 OWNERS) TURN OFF THE ANC WITH THE HARDWARE BUTTONS!! IT TAKES FOREVER TO COME WITH THIS FEATURE.... 

If you can turn the anc off via the hardware buttons. Then the headset can finally also be used in the wind. That annoying tornado noise the anc makes when you are walking or bicycling outside is horrible and unacceptable.

Turning off the ANC via the app is so not intuitive and counterproductive. It is frustrating as well because the connection with the BOSE app is not always instant and it takes forever to turn the ANC off via the app..

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 3, 2020

If you look at how hardware buttons have being phased out of mobile phones then its no surprise that the holy grail of no moving parts is being applied to headphones too and everythings going touch screen.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2019

I'm now completely unable to pair the headphones to the app so can't turn noise cancelling off at all. will be returning to the store tomorrow, and never buying Bose again 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2020

Agreed with all these comments. This is a deal killer. Headphones go back to the store - no re-purchase till this is fixed. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

I think Bose doesn’t really care about this forum, a better way to let out our frustration is to leave a very low rating review on the Amazon page of these headphones, making sure we explain the issue there, the often necessity to switch off the NC when outside in windy situations or bumpy rides, how it’s impossible to run with these with the NC on because of it and how cumbersome and often impossible it is to then switch off the NC with the useless app.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 16, 2019

Especially at current strange times, it's crucial to be able to easily switch the NC off, because in most cases you just don't need it while sitting at home!

Seems like the best option is to return the headphones the moment you received it, and write a bad review on Amazon.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 25, 2020

I work for a software company and while I don't do software development myself, I work with customers and interface with development teams enough to know their processes and prioritization of work.

@Community

When a feature request is submitted to a development team, it sits in a triage queue. A Product Manager or a team will evaluate items in the triage queue. They will determine if something is a defect or a feature request. If a feature request they will determine if this is something that has been submitted before or if it is a new request. If it is something that was submitted before, they will increment a counter on it to indicate an additional request for the feature. If it is a new request they will determine if it is worth doing or not. If not it will be rejected. If they believe it is worth doing,  they will determine priority. Priority will determine the work-item's location on a backlog of work. The team will meet occasionally to determine how much work they can do and then take work-items from the top of the backlog.

Since the responses we have received so far have not said the work will not be done, we can safely assume it is in their backlog of work. So, then the question becomes, what is the priority and when will can we expect it to be worked? The unfortunate reality is that as more work is prioritized and added to the backlog, it is possible for this feature to get bumped down FOREVER. And that is why we can't get a better response than "It's been submitted to the dev team." It's on the backlog and nobody can tell you when it will be worked, if ever. One way to help increase the likelihood of the development team to work on this is to show community engagement. The more people post here and Like the original post, the more likely the request will get a higher priority. Complaining isn't going to help. Good requests with a strong backing will.

@boseDevelopment Team

User Story 1

As a user, I want to be able to press the ANC button on the left ear-cup to *turn off ANC.

*Turn off does not mean change ANC level, or set ANC level to 0, but to actually turn off or disable ANC.

And now I'm going to go off the rails and suggest something perhaps more interesting.

User Story 2

As a user, I want an easy and intuitive way to adjust through the full spectrum of ANC levels (0-10), including the ability to turn it off completely.

One idea for the above would be to make use of other existing features on the headset, notably the touch controls. What if some combination of presses on the ANC button changed the mode of the touch controls so you could swipe through every ANC level, including past 0 to off? Imagine this. Imagine they keep the 3 presets and let you choose Off as 1 of the presets, this is probably the simplest way to implement. The user doesn't have to learn anything new. They cycle through their 3 presets the same as they always have. So, let's assume the above is implemented, I have my presets set to 0, 10, and Off. But what if I want to get to 5 every so often, I have to open the app to set to 5. How about once the ANC button has been pressed the touch controls change for 5 seconds or so (reset upon touch) to allow the user to swipe through the different ANC levels the same as volume. Swiping down past 0 would turn ANC off. So now, we have two different ways to disable ANC from the headset, whether we want to set it as a preset or scroll past a preset to get there.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

Respectfully, I disagree with your address to @community.

When consumers unite to speak up and voice their displeasure, Big Corporation listens. If you bombard Big Corporation with enough stings, they will stop to scratch the itch. This can be seen in 2 recent events: 1) the Bose QC35 II fiasco where updating to the latest firmware reduced ANC capabilities. 2) Sonos and forcing users to upgrade to new hardware or suffer force-obsolescence via hardware bricking or suspended software updates.

In both cases, the people cried out loud and clear, taking their grievances all over social media. Media outlets picked up on this and published, adding to the negative publicity. Taken to the extreme, consumers will unite to boycott, which is what caused Sonos to cave and apologize. 

Like you, I also work in the software/tech industry, and while I agree that there is a triage process, clients that get the most attention either a) have large retainer contracts or b) b*tch the loudest. So I say, let the people vent their frustrations and threaten boycott. There's no motivation for Big Corporation like when it starts affecting their bottom lines.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 5, 2020

+1 for the feature request to be able to set "anc off" (not 0, but off" as one of the three favorites that get cycled when pressing the left button. 

@Hector_B - is there a public issue tracker, or some indication you can give us about how development for this rather simple(?) change is progressing?

My only guess of why this takes so long is that it might have some consequences and isn't desired to be activated so easily (i.e. rapidly turning ANC off/on is problematic..?).