Highlighted
ferrydust
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

NC 700 headphones call quality fully limited to regular phone calls? O_O

I understand the Bose NC 700 headphones are purported to have excellent call quality, particularly for the listener on the other end.  Is this completely limited to regular phone calls?  If so, that seems to me a huge miss/mistake; what about recording voice notes to ourselves? Whatsapp voice messaging? Facebook/Messenger voice messaging or calling?  Zoom and other video conferencing apps?  If it is not available for these uses, then much of my use for this is lost 😞  And if it *is* available, then please someone how do I access it?  So far my tests have all failed -- background and supplementary noise comes through loud and clear and regularly drowns out my voice.  Thanks in advance for the advice/support.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: NC 700 headphones call quality fully limited to regular phone calls? O_O

Hello Ferrydust, 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

Having just tested this within the office, I am happy to say that our tests were successful and we were able to hear call audio clearly on Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp video calling and voice messaging, and when recording memo notes verbally. Can I please ask, when you conducted your tests did you also place a normal telephone call at the same time to hear if the noise levels were the same? 

I look forward to your response.

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

ferrydust
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Thank you very much for your guidance. Okay so I ran some additional tests.  Whatsapp voice recording and recording memo notes definitely is using the built-in mic(s) on the phone, not using the Bose headphones micrphone(s), even though it is definitley connected.  I have searched for how to change this and have not yet found anything helpful.  Can you/anyone please advise?  

Hello Ferrydust, 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

Can I please ask how you are testing this as I have tested it by having the headphones on and walking to the other side of the room and having my colleague stand on the opposite side of the room hold the microphone button and the audio was incredibly clear, leading me to believe that the headphones are recording the audio as the phone would not have picked up any audio from that distance. 

I look forward to hearing your findings. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vicky_W 

Check back - you didn't answer the last question from Wed.  The customer made an observation that they believe that the microphone was not always used for phone calls and that some apps still use the microphone built-in to the phone and not the one builtin to the 700. So:

1. Is it true that for a 'regular' phone call the 700 mic is used but that the mic used for phone resident VOIP apps will vary based on app (whatsapp, skype, etc.)

2. Is it possible for the customer to change which mic gets used on the Bose end or is it up to the app to change the mic and if so, it may not be possible unless that app provides the switching as an option.

ferrydust
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Thank you, yes @joelirwin exactly; from what I can tell (including from speaking with two different Google device support reps (Android phone)) is that: 

1) this appears true, and not controllable in the Android settings (plenty of sound/ringer settings, 0 settings for microphone)

2) it appears up to the app, and my impression so far is that no apps have this option (my guess would be that it relates to the lack of "microphone options" provided by the OS), including dedicated voice memo/recording apps -- they all use the built-in phone mics exclusively.  

😞

Trevorloveday
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 9, 2019

I had the same problem.

In Android, WhatsApp doesn't have permission to use the phone mode, by default.

You need to go into Settings, Apps & Notifications, and then find the WhatsApp app parameters.  Over to you.

vyassameer
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 5, 2019

When connected to a laptop using MS Teams, Skype, GoToMeeting, etc. does the laptop use the Bose 700 mic or laptop mic? With my QC35, it only uses my laptop mic. Win10 recognizes the devices as headphones NOT headset. Trying to see if upgrading to 700 will resolve this.