Highlighted
HansC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 24, 2019

NC 700 using microphone with audio cable

As touched upon in https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/QC-700-Wired-Connection/m-p/224164 the audio cable *may* not work with input.

Does this mean it *could* work? If not, why not include a TRRS cable? As noted by other posts, the headphones are useless for wireless conferencing on a Windows computer due to bluetooth protocol issues, and the USB port is for charging only.

I would think that makes it all the more important that the audio cable, at least, works. I have a headset port on my laptop, which should work for both input and output. When connecting the NC 700, Windows prompt me to specify the device type, and I select "Headset (with microhpone)".

This gives me the output device "Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)", which works well.

I also get an input device, "Jack Mic (Realtek High Definition Audio)", which is silent. I recorded from that device in Audacity and there is nothing.

Does the NC 700 support mic over audio cable? If so, why ever ship an audio cable without that support?

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: NC 700 using microphone with audio cable

Hello HansC, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

I can certainly pass on a feature request for you. However, as a workaround, for now, we have tested the QC25 microphone cable and this works with the headphones.

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
HansC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 24, 2019

Is this the cable you tested? https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/headphone_accessories/quietcomfort-25-headphones-inli...

That was the only one I could find, but what does "inline mic" mean? I want the sound from the NC 700 mic, not some inferior mic on the volume control (as seems to be the case from one of the reviews on that cable). In fact, I don't want a clunky volume control either; the one integrated on the headset works just fine.

Is there some other cable available that simply provides 2.5 mm TRRS to 3.5 mm TRRS? It turns out that even well stocked (physical) electronics stores don't have such a cable.

Highlighted

Hello HansC, 

I am sorry for any confusion. You are correct an inline mic is the buttons on the cable that allows you to control the device playing audio. If using the cable I have recommended, it would indeed not use the microphone on the headphones but on the controls. 

At this moment in time, there is no way to do what you are requesting. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused. 

I have submitted a feature request for you.

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
HansC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 24, 2019

Then I am very much disappointed, both in the product and your answer. I ask whether the microphone can be used, and you point me to a $30 cable that won't actually use the excellent NC 700 microphone, but instead an external microphone of questionable quality.

Also, my main question seems unanswered now, so I will reword it:

Does the NC 700 output microphone sound on the 2.5 mm audio cable port? So if a TRRS 2.5 mm connector (that may noy be available anywhere today, or I may find one if looking harder) were to be plugged in, would I get the NC 700 microphone sound on it?

Highlighted

Hello HansC, 

Thank you for getting back in touch.

As noted by Vicky W, it is not possible to use the standard audio cable to output from the built-in microphone via a wired connection. This has been submitted as a feature request, however, we cannot guarantee whether this can be added with a firmware update as we are unsure if there is a signal path linking directly between the microphone and the audio input port. 

The suggestion of the QC25 cable was merely a suggestion as an alternative if a wired-connection was desired. 

I hope this helps clear things up. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Highlighted
zolja
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 19, 2019

I stumbled up to the same problem. 

I'm trying to use the NC 700 with Xbox and only option is with the cable you have described or via BT transmitter/receiver.

Have you found any proper solution to the problem? I'm not too excited about the 25/35 inline mic cable..

Highlighted
Cuddle.Bear
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 23, 2019

I’m having the same question and problem.  Very disappointed that I can’t use the built in microphone when connecting via the cable.  I don’t understand how this could not have been a design consideration, especially given the price of these headphones.  

I do not want to buy an inferior cable with INLINE mic to hook up to the headphones.  If that is the only solution, why the heck do I need these headphones?

craig

Highlighted
martin.rossland
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Hi! Have you figured out whether there is a signal path linking directly between the microphone and the audio input port or not? 

Highlighted

Hello martin.rossland,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community.

We do not have any updates on this to share with you at this time. When we do have more information we will make sure to let the community know!

Kind Regards,

Keith L