Bosian Rhapsody
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Re: NC700 - Found a working bluetooth dongle for Windows device!!!

@melissahellmund 

I'm using the "MPOW USB Bluetooth Dongle Stick Bluetooth 4.0 adapter" as it is called on Amazon.de (link). I'm testing this now together with the link to the BT software stack and driver as suggested by MaxXD (kudos). I initially only installed the required Broadcom BCM20702 driver and continued to use the BT software as exiting on my laptop: this did not solve the problem; I had to use the other BT stack.

Double tapping - in my case - does not mute the microphone when in a Teams call.

So far, this MPOW now seems to work fine with Team (yesterday also with GoTo meeting), but time is too short to be 100% sure.

I also bought an "Asus USB-BT400". This one also uses the Broadcom BCM20702 chip, so I expect it to work as well as confirmed by others in this thread. I tried it just replacing the driver while keeping the default BT software on my laptop, which did not work, so you will need to use it with the full BT software I would guess. Not checked yet.

The 'different beast', on second thoughts, might have been a poor choice of my words. No negative feedback intended. I wanted to say that the "1Mii  B10 USB Bluetooth Adapter for PC Bluetooth 5.0 Audio" (link) is not a functional replacement for the BT dongle in my laptop or the MPOW one. If you plug it in a USB port, an audio device shows up in Windows (it is said to work with MAC-OS as well). It cannot be used for a BT mouse for example; just audio. It has some nice other audio related features as well. In Teams and other communication programs you can select the related 'speaker' and 'microphone'. You are not using the BT software from your laptop. The dongle has a small button which is used to initiate pairing. You need to double click this button to put it into 'Call' mode, in which mode the microphone works. I have been using this successfully with Teams for a day or so. The need to double click it not so practical in my view. But, if you want to keep using your existing BT, this is a good solution. Double tapping the headset did not mute the mic.

For now, the MPOW dongle seems in my case to be the more practical workaround until Bose fixes the root problem (!)

I did not buy the MPOW BT5.0 one you mentioned, as far as I can see, that one supports indeed more than just audio. Given the advantages of BT5, this might be worth a try!

MavXD
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

@melissahellmund Yes, I also suggest you give the 5.0 dongle a try. Worst case it's not working and you send it back.

Please share your results afterwards, really curious. Thanks.

Bosian Rhapsody
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Update: few (longer) Teams calls today: working fine using the MPOW BT 4.0 with the SW from the link as suggested above. +1 for the solution from @MavXD !

If you do not want to install anything and/or keep your current Bluetooth, use for example the "1Mii B10 BT5 Audio" dongle and double click a button for a call.

... eager to learn about the MPOV BT5.0 dongle !

melissahellmund
Participant
Registered since

Jul 3, 2020

Hi again! 

Reporting back: 

TL;DR

For now I'm satisfied, the headphones do have magical noise cancellation which makes them almost worth all this hassle. 

The advantage of having gotten this other adapter isn't clear to me yet, I'll update later if something changes. You might just want to go w the one originally recommended as it is a little cheaper. 

Initial thoughts:

Got my MPOW BT5.0 yesterday. It wasn't the most straightforward/hassle-free installation process but it took me less than an hour so I'm not mad. 

About the 5.0 difference: 

My main idea was to connect the headset and the bluetooth mouse to the same receiver, to have only one thing plugged into the laptop. Might be because my bluetooth mouse is pretty old, but I wasn't able to do that (it's not detected as a BT device). Not yet at least, I'll probably keep trying just for fun later. Maybe if you have a newer mouse or keyboard, this could work.

This means tho, that so far for me, there's no real advantage of going for the 5.0. 

What I hadn't understood was that this dongle was going to substitute my PC's internal bluetooth receiver, just making it clear to anyone else new to this issue. Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that means that getting the other model would also allow you to connect to several devices at once, since it's just substituting your PC's receiver. 

About Teams calls: 

- Dongle seems to have resolved the connectivity issue, super happy about that. I've already joined 3 calls with no problem, and most importantly, without being stressed that they would fail! 

- My phone has been connected all the time too, no conflict. Also went to Spotify to play some tunes and it automatically changed the playback to the Headphones device instead of the Headset.

- The headphone gestures don't work with Teams, like to mute the call for example. I guess this is expected as there hasn't been an update in firmware for the headphones. Bose support did tell me that when the UC would come out, they would make available that firmware for the NC700s. But who knows, how can we trust anything they say? 

(They also confirmed that the Bose dongle would be sold separately but they "have no idea" as to when it's coming... right)

About the installation: 

I would add the following to the initial instructions, just because there were some things I didn't catch right away and I might be saving someone some time.

"

Short description, what I did with the dongles:

- delete Bose NC700 (LE-Bose NC 700 HP and Bose NC 700 HP) from bluetooth list in Windows

- disable your built-in bluetooth (from the device manager, not just turning off your bluetooth. I had many bluetooth devices listed and had to try several times before finding which was the main built in item on the list -> mine is called Marvel AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter, I have a Surface book)

- restart Windows (I had to restart after installing the new drivers, not after disabling the old one)

- clear device list on NC700 (I didn't have to do this as deleting it from the bluetooth list already had taken it away)

- plug in USB Bluetooth dongle

- update drivers of USB Bluetooth dongle (using Windows update) (I went here to get the drivers: https://www.xmpow.com/pages/download and go under Drivers>Other Products>Receivers and Transmitters> MPOW BH456A

- One way to know if this worked is, if you unplug the USB receiver, your bluetooth will automatically turn off, plug it back in and it goes back on. This is because you're substituting the internal bluetooth receiver in the computer with this little dongle. 

- bring NC 700 into pairing mode

- search for new Bluetooth devices in Windows

- first connect LE-Bose NC 700 HP

- then connect Bose NC 700 HP

I didn't do it exactly in this way or order, especially the part of the driver installation; but after trying for a while it worked. 

Bosian Rhapsody
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

@melissahellmund Thanks for your positive feedback on the MPOW BT5.0 dongle (model B456A). 

I have stumbled into new (?) connectivity issue while using the NC700HP with the MPOW BT4.0 dongle including its BT driver software. In this case the NC700HP is connected to both my iPhone as well as my laptop using said dongle. If during a Teams call my iPhone produces a sound, the NC700HP switches over to the iPhone. However, it does not switch back to the Teams call. To get it to work in Teams again, I have found that flipping the audio device in Teams to something else and then back to the NC700HP helps. I can also disconnect from the iPhone prior to the Teams call to avoid the problem. But these are all workarounds. Anyone similar experience?

As a consequence, I'm now back at using the 1Mii B10 BT5.0 Audio only dongle and take the need to double click its button to enter the 'call/headset' mode for granted.

Also trying to get the MPOW BH456A BT5.0 USB Dongle as used by @melissahellmund, but this model seems not readily available around here. 

BTW: Bose support is not responding anymore... what is happening there??

Bosian Rhapsody
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

More on dongles 🙂

I got a BT5.0 dongle, not specifically audio only: 1Mii BT501 (link to their website). This dongle is quite similar to the MPOW BT5.0 model successfully used by @melissahellmund; it is also based on the Realtek chip. I used it on my Windows 10 laptop with the driver software suggested by 1Mii, which is available from the above mentioned website at the very bottom. The BT501 comes with a small CD, which I did not use.

To install, I disabled the build in Bluetooth in Device Manager and uninstalled any related Bluetooth software prior to inserting the BT501 and installing the supplied software. Nothing obvious changes in the UI, looks as before. In the Device Manager, properties for the new Bluetooth device (Advanced tab), I now read LMP 10.11707 which indicates Bluetooth version 5.1.

And, it works fine with the NC700HP (firmware 1.3.1) after some first tries; Teams calls are not interrupted. But, if my iPhone is also connected to the NC700HP, when during a Teams call via the laptop, the iPhone wakes up (refinement from previous post), this interrupts the laptop Teams call. I would argue that the the sound from a call has priority, so feel that the NC700HP should solve this. So, don't touch your phone during a laptop Teams call 😁.

Better than the 1Mii B10 BT5 Audio? Matter of taste probably.

Adam A
Participant
Registered since

Jul 14, 2020

Hello everyone,

I have also been struggling with this issue and thought I would add my two cents. I had an old bluetooth dongle which would connect my 700's to my PC's audio-out, but not the microphone. Also, the PC audio was choppy if connected to more than one device. 

I needed to use my 700's for Microsoft Teams meetings, so I found the original post of this thread and purchased the MPOW bluetooth 4.0 model BH079A. When I recieved the BH079A, I installed the drivers off the disc, and was able to get the bluetooth mic connection working with my PC, with some quirks:

- Quirk 1: turning on my 700's and connection to the PC automatically would not connect the mic. To connect the mic, I had to turn bluetooth on and off and wait ~30 seconds.

- Quirk 2: If I was on an teams call and also connected to my phone (pixel 3a), any sound from my phone would interrupt the team call, and I would have to exit/re-enter the call to get it working again. 

- Quirk 3: my PC would lose its ability to connect to the 700's every once in awhile, and I had to forget the 700's and reconnect them in the PC settings to resolve the issue

This has been working for a couple months, but a windows update to my PC last night has set me back to square one. I can no longer connect my microphone to the PC, and any audio i recieve from it is now choppy/stuttering. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for the dongle but the issue persists.

I think I'll be trying the bluetooth 5.0 dongle next, but I'm not thrilled about having to spend more time and money trying to get the supposedly high-end headphones to work. 

As an aide, it looks like Bose is selling, or will be selling, the "Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 UC" with a bluetooth dongle for conferecing. Does anyone know if we can get this bose bluetooth dongle to use with out 700's?

dropbear
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2020

Yes, the Bose 700 UC dongle will be sold seperately and will work with "old" Bose 700s.

But the Bose 700 UC seem to be priced at $449, $50 above the Bose 700 despite there not being a real difference except for the dongle so expect this dongle to be >$50.

Mencjusz
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

I'm not sure about the reliability of the source, but the realise date of Bose dongle is Sept. 16 with (over)price of 70 USD.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1568343-REG/bose_852270_0010_usb_link_bluetooth_module.html/o... 

charbel.nemnom
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 13, 2018

Hello folks and  support team,

Could someone please confirm if the new USB dongle works only for 700 or it can be also used with QC35 II as well?

https://pro.bose.com/en_us/products/conferencing/headphones/headphones_accessories/usb-link-bluetoot...

Thank You!