MavXD
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

NC700 - Found a working bluetooth dongle for Windows device!!!

So, like a lot of you guys, I had a lot of problems using my NC700 with several Windows 10 devices, including a Microsoft Surface Book 2.

Calls in Teams, Skype, WebEx and Discord were not working. Mic and/or speakers were dropping after a few minutes using those apps.

Since there is no help from Bose whatsoever, I just ordered 8 different Bluetooth dongles online and started testing.

And.... I found two working dongles so far, both for less than 10€:
1. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07BFS94X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07Q61GD1Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon (US) link: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Adapter-Headphones-Speakers/dp/B082TW18RQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&...

Amazon (UK) link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Supports/dp/B06XPCVB4F/ref=sr_1_3?dchil...

And, when I had a closer look, I found the chipset for the second one (Mpow) is: Broadcom BCM20702

This chipset is used in a lot of cheap USB Bluetooth dongles and the chance, that they'll all work with Windows 10 devices, is quite good.

What is working for me now:
- Connected to Surface Book 2 AND Galaxy S9 at the same time
- Calls from Skype, Discord, WebEx and Teams are working on Windows 10 devices
- Stereo Profile on Windows Device for Youtube, Spotify and so on is working
- Switching between Galaxy S9 and Surface Book 2 for calls or as audio source is working seamlessly.

Short description, what I did with the dongles:

- delete Bose NC700 (LE-Bose NC 700 HP and Bose NC 700 HP) from bluetooth list in Windows

- disable your built-in bluetooth

- restart Windows

- clear device list on NC700

- plug in USB Bluetooth dongle

- update drivers of USB Bluetooth dongle (using Windows update)

- bring NC 700 into pairing mode

- search for new Bluetooth devices in Windows

- first connect LE-Bose NC 700 HP

- then connect Bose NC 700 HP

I really hope this will help some people here and I'm still outraged, that Bose was not able to do this simple test!

38 REPLIES 38
Cabbate
Participant
Registered since

Mar 26, 2020

Re: NC700 - Found a working bluetooth dongle for Windows device!!!

Thanks for sharing this information - seems like you did a lot of work! I am still just going to disconnect my galaxy 10 when using the N700's on my surface pro 4, seems a bit easier than going through all that setup and isn't much of a hassle, as when I connect back to blue tooth on my phone the two pair quickly.

Regarding Bose: I have now shifted from disliking to hating this company. I have had connection issues on almost all devices that I have purchased from them throughout the years and their customer service sucks. The only reason that I need these 700's is because of their great microphones from phone calls. Once something comparable comes out I am done with Bose, hopefully for good.

masatu
Participant
Registered since

Apr 6, 2020

It would be brilliant if the bluetooth dongle fixes the problem! I'm also having the same problem with a mic turning off after a few minutes of usage in windows 10. Tried all kinds of suggestions given on online forums, but none worked for me so far.

Can you maybe also share which bluetooth dongles did not work for you? In my country the provided bluetooth dongles have a very long delivery time - maybe I can try to find which bluetooth dongles are available in my country that will probably work as well.

Officechris
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Chiming in here, bought this upon your recommendation, works PERFECT on my Surface Book 2 as well, I can FINALLY use my NC700 without any issue in Teams.

Unfortunately multi-point with my Pixel 2XL is still flaky as heck, after I get off a Teams Call my audio will break up consistently until I disconnect my phone. So, still not a permanent solution, but i'm ecstatic I can FINALLY use my NC700 for teleconferencing without any issue!

Here's hoping the official Bose UC adapter puts an end to this saga for good! Thanks a ton for the tip!

Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2020

I followed MavXD's lead, above, and bought an MPow MPBH079AB USB (4.0) dongle for my Win 10 PC. Alas, while it works well with Windows, the cut-in/drop-out interference I had been experiencing when dual-connected to an iPhone Xs continues. Things are fine when I disable iPhone Bluetooth, but that's just a disappointing workaround. Still awaiting Bose's official dongle to solve this pain. See the "Yes, early summer!" comments here: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=213191903389571

tposzytek
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

Hi @MavXD !

I bought the CSR4.0 dongle and followed your steps. And now I have a crazy question to you - this dongle is flashing like each second with a blue light. Does it anyhow changes on your side? I would expect it stops if the headphones are connected via the dongle.

But seems it doesn't?

Also - how can you tell the headphones are connected via the dongle? They should get disconnected if I remove it, right? But mine doesn't. So I am wondering what am I missing in your approach?

Regards,

Tomasz

Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2020

I tried the external USB BT 4.0 dongle too, and I learned I had to use Windows 'Device Manager' to ensure I had only one BT hardware module enabled at one time, and to be sure which one. The blue light on the dongle seemed to correspond tightly to when I had my Bose NC 700's powered on, paired and connected. Alas though, I found the disconnect/reconnect interrupts to live chat were still a frequent occurrence, caused by the Bose NC 700's dual-pairing to my nearby iPhone. And worse, my stable wireless range was worse on the BT USB dongle. My HP laptop's built-in BT chipset and antenna have proven far batter. With the BT USB dongle removed and back on the laptop's internal hardware I can roam 20ft or more further away from the laptop before audio quality breaks down. Interesting experiment; I'm glad the BT USB dongle cost me only %5 for the attempt at improving things.

MavXD
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

@tposzytek 

Mine is flashing all the time as well. 

To make sure, you're connected with the dongle, you need to de-activate the built-in bluetooth adapter first using the device manager in Windows 10.

With the built-in bluetooth adapter de-activated and no dongle plugged in, you should not be able to search for bluetooth devices. That's how you can double check. 

MavXD
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

@masatu 

I guess you need to search for BT dongles with Broadcom BCM20702 chipset. There should be some of them on the market. Where are you from?

masatu
Participant
Registered since

Apr 6, 2020

Ok, it seems as if the Asus USB-BT400 has chipset BCM20702A1 according to http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-BT400

This one is available in my local store.

Would this "A1" make any difference?