Highlighted
BobbyC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

NC700 Microphone Mute Doesn't Work Properly

I'm having several issues with my NC700s and muting. When I'm on a call through my phone, pushing the mute button does mute me, but then pushing it again does not unmute me, even though I hear the unmute sound. Further presses of the mute button do nothing other than play the mute and unmute sounds, but the person on the call continues to hear nothing from me. To get my voice to come through on the phone again, I have to switch to one of the internal phone audio device options and then back to the NC700.

When I'm connected to my computer, if I'm in a conference call (currently using Zoom), and I press the mute (voice assistant) button, it either doesn't mute or sometimes it makes me sound like I'm underwater. I never hear the mute/unmute tones though.

I have tried the reboot & update steps outlined by Zoe_C here.

I would love an option to make the voice assistant button only control the mute functionality and always work, whether I'm in a call or not, and regardless of what type of device I'm connected to.

Any other things I can try?

Thanks,

Bobby

UPDATE: Unmuting not working on a mobile call can be "fixed" by turning back on voice prompts. To Bose, this is a firmware issue that needs to be fixed along with the inability to mute when connected to a computer.

37 REPLIES 37

Re: NC700 Microphone Mute Doesn't Work Properly

Hello Bobby,

Thank you very much for your message, I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your headphones Mute button whilst on calls.

Can you please confirm what mobile device you are using? 

When on a call and you attempt to remove the mute feature on the headphones, does your mobile device show any indication that it appears to be 'unmuting'. 

Finally does this occur when connected to a different device?

We look forward to hearing from you! 

Tegan M - Community Support 

BobbyC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Tegan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using an iPhone XS. I see no indication on my phone when muting or unmuting. I confirmed that the same behavior happens on other phones as well.

Best,

Bobby

Hello BobbyC,

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know. I would recommend that you try a product reset, please follow the steps below:

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  4. Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue

I would also like you to check to make sure that the device you are using has up to date software. 

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C 

BobbyC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Zoe,

Those steps and the manual update process didn't fix the issue.

Best,

Bobby

jjm004
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 9, 2019

Mute works fine for me..what I dont like is when muting on the headphones it doesnt change/update the 'Mute' icon on the phone.  I am muted but looking at the phone it doesnt indicate that I am muted.  When I click the button on the headphones again it successfully unmutes.  

Hi BobbyC, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. I am very sorry that these steps did not resolve this issue for you. 

Could you please attempt to select a different voice assistant inside the Bose Music App? Then attempt to take another call and see if the issue persists. 

If the issue continues after these steps I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help. 

@jjm004 thanks for posting and providing us with this feedback also. 

If any other community members have had this issue and have found an alternative resolution please do let the community know. 

Warm Regards, 

Hector B 

BobbyC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Changing the voice assistant didn't fix it, but turning back on voice prompts did make the mute button work. When I have voice prompts turned off, I can mute but not unmute as described in the original post.

I would like voice prompts to be off, because when I was on a call through my computer the other day, my phone kept disconnecting and reconnecting, and every time it did that, I would get a 2 second message letting me know. When the message was playing, I couldn't hear the call from my computer, so I kept missing a few seconds of the call until I turned off my phone's bluetooth.

Community Manager

Hey BobbyC,

Thanks for the update. While the Voice Prompt button cannot be customized at this time, we'd be happy to forward your feedback to our development team.

I'm happy to hear that you found a resolution by enabling voice prompts. I appreciate that you have already attempted troubleshooting, but we'd be happy to provide some additional steps. Have you checked to ensure that the headphone's firmware is up to date? This can be done via either the Bose Connect application or using the USB charging cable when connecting the headphones to a computer via our firmware update website HERE.

I'd also encourage performing a Bluetooth reset on the headphones and the connected devices to ensure there are no issues with the pairings. To do this on the headphones, press and hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds, until you hear "Bluetooth pairing list cleared". Then, on your connected devices such as computer and phone use the "Forget this device" or "Remove this device" functions.

Does the issue only occur when you're using Zoom to make calls - have you tested for results with other conferencing or communicating services?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B

BobbyC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Andy,

The firmware is up to date.

I did a Bluetooth device reset and repaired. The same behavior still happens on the computer and on the phone.

The mute (voice assistant) button does nothing with any voice conferencing software I use on the computer, not just Zoom.

Best,

Bobby