Highlighted
masteraustin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

NC700 - Poor sound quality / Noise cancelling issues on MacBook

Just bought my 700s last week and they work great when using my iPhone. However, as soon as I connect them to my MacBook Pro everything around me is amplified. Keyboard and mouse clicks especially are very loud. Also the sound quality is just down right poor. 

My pair of Beats X have no issues with my MacBook and neither do another pair of headphones I tested with. 

Reading some other posts, my guess here is there is a firmware issue?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: NC700 - Poor sound quality / Noise cancelling issues on MacBook

Hi Masteraustin, 

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your headset when you connect to your MacBook Pro. I'll do all I can to resolve this for you!

I would recommend looking at your system preferences and making sure your headset isn't connected in 'handsfree'. This would explain why the microphone is active and you notice a decrease in the audio quality. 

If all the settings look correct, I would recommend connecting the headset to your MacBook Pro using the included audio cable. This should prompt the download of the drivers and should help get you up and running correctly. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

masteraustin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

It shows connected as a speaker in bluetooth, however it has no configurable settings in etiher the Bluetooh pane, or in the sound pane. Connecting the headphone jack just uses the cable and does nothing to fix the bluetooth connectivity issue. 

Hi there @masteraustin and thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear this has not resolved the audio you're experiencing here.

Can I ask that you clear the Bluetooth list of your headset and Macbook, then pair back up? The list can be cleared on the headset by holding the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds until you hear that the device list has been cleared. After this, please select to remove the device from the Bluetooth list on your Mac.

Once the above has been done, please close all the programs on your Mac and connect back up.

Please return to me at your convenience.

Liam W 

masteraustin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Performed the following steps, but the same issue. As soon as it pairs, I can hear everything around me. 

Hi again @masteraustin .

This is definitely unusual. Can I ask what version of the MacOS your system is running, and if possible, the model of Macbook being used?

Furthermore, can I ask what happens when you try to adjust the noise-cancelling using the button while you are paired here?

Please get back to me when you can!

Liam W

masteraustin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Currently running MacOS 10.14.14 on a MBP 15" 2017. 

If I adjust the noise canceling level, it annouces the level but there is no change. The mic contiunes to pickup everything around me. 

Thank you for this. 

At this point, I would suggest that you reach out to your local Bose Support to get this headset exchanged. To do this, please click the link, select your country/region, and navigate to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page if required.

In the meantime, I will see if I can replicate this issue using the information you have supplied.

Please let me know if you have any questions or updates in the meantime!

Liam W

gman3586
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Hey masteraustin, Did you ever get this problem resolved? I'm having the exact same issue and it's super frustrating. 

masteraustin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

A few weeks back I decided to try them again on my Mac while on a plane. They just magically started to work correctly. No change in OS version or settings. weird; but they have been fine since.