Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

NC700 UC crackling sound

NC 700 UC

v0074 usb link
1.8.2 nc 700

4.2.4 app version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on : windows 10

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce : I use the headset primarily for work, and primary mode of connection would be towards my windows 10 machine.
If i do not have any music playing over the background, or if i do not have a meeting on going, there will be a crackling sound. 

The sound is like those analog phone where the cable is not connected to the phone correctly in the RJ-11 input jack

What environment do you experience the issue in? quiet work space at home, without any disturbance

When did you start to experience the issue? 1 week ago. This headphone is 2 months old

Did it work correctly previously? yes, there isnt much issue

Any troubleshooting steps you took
reinstall bluetooth driver to the latest hardware available in lenovo support page.

pair/unpair the usb link

drain the battery without charging after using the headphones to make it totally dry, and recharge for use again

Can i have some assistance on what can be done to resolve this issue please ?

21 REPLIES 21
Vicky_W

Re: NC700 UC crackling sound

Hello, welcome to the forums! 

I would love to explore this in further detail. Just to confirm I understand whats happening; When no audio is playing, you hear a crackle? Just to confirm, do you have noise cancellation enabled when this happens? Also, does this happen with all devices or just the Windows 10? It would also be great to know how you are connected to the computer and if the connection type makes a difference at all?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
fahmi1
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

yes, when no audio is playing, this situation happens, this crackling sounds like a RJ-11 cable not connected to your landline phones. That is the nearest sound that I can best describe. 
When this happen, I tried to lower down the noise cancellation from level 10 to level 0. Still the same

This happen to my laptop, running win 10. I dont use this on mobile, because whatsapp call cant be using the bluetooth functions, or google duo too. I dont use this headset for my mobile because i dont work on my mobile, thats where the UC is functioning for me, and why i get this set. work with a laptop using  the UC functions of NC 700 🙂

As mentioned before, what i have done is to re-install my bluetooth stack on my laptop, which i am not sure if that helps when i use the bose usb link. the crackling sound happens quite bad.

Drakmo
Participant
Registered since

Jan 21, 2021

I have the exactly same behaviour and setup:

v0074 usb link
1.8.2 NC 700 (non UC version)

4.3.3 app version

Windows 10 with all the latest updates and up to date drivers

@Vicky_W  is there anything we can do against it. It happens in infrequently ca. 2-3 times per 10 minutes and drives me crazy. The crackling lasts from 1-3 seconds. I will probably request a change for the device if this cannot be solved.

The noise sound a bit like this without any clear audio in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffIdh0CZWs

Please help, because other then that the device is just great.

Thanks, Chris

Free to use just tell me what you use it for please
fahmi1
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

Are we having a defective hardware, or is this a known issue waiting for firmware upgrade ?

Please do not tell me to use my phone and test because i got the headset, and the usb link for work as advertised here

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/noise-cancelling-headphon...

Keith_L

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and joining the discussion!

I know you both mentioned that this sound happens when you are not actively playing audio through the headphones, but what if any audio/meeting apps do you have open when this crackling happens? 

Also, when you click on the speaker icon on the taskbar are you using the "Stereo" profile or the "Hands-Free" profile? Do you get the same crackling with both of these profiles? You can change between the profiles by either clicking the name of the headphones that comes up when you click the speaker icon, then choosing the other profile from the list that comes up, or by going into the Manage Audio Devices page from the start menu and choosing the profiles there.

One thing I would definitely recommend doing is a reboot of the headphones, and a reset of the USB link by following the steps shown HERE.

Let me know how this goes!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
fahmi1
Participant
Registered since

Feb 25, 2021

@Keith_L Thanks ! i will try the steps, but first, could you advise me how i can login to that portal ?
I tried using my email i am logged into bose account, i am not able to log in there.

Can you advise please 

Hector_B

Hey there, 

Thanks for updating us on this! The link should now be fixed for you 😊

If you have any further issues accessing this please do let us know. 

Drakmo
Participant
Registered since

Jan 21, 2021

Hi, here is an update from me. I now know what the cause of this behaviour is. It is the Bose USB Link. I have tested the Bose 700 now for a week directly connected with my Notebooks Bluetooth 5.0 and the phenomenon did not occur once! Everything fine and stable as you would expect.

Get your things fixed Bose!

For what its worth:

When the phenomenon occurred with Bose USB Link there was no audio playing at all. If you managed to play a sound while the crackling was underway this  interrupted the crackling. The phenomenon only occurred when connected to USB Link and never when connected to any other device.

And by the way when using the USB Link there are no two audio devices but only one: the Bose USB Link.

Will there be any chance that this gets fixed? If not I need to return the USB link because it is unusable.

Regards

Chris

Drakmo
Participant
Registered since

Jan 21, 2021

@Hector_B, @Vicky_W : please tell me how you think you will solve this problem. I am curious.

Regards, Chris