DMalt
Participant
Registered since

Feb 22, 2020

NC700 unable to answer phone when connected to both phone and other Apple device

My primary use for my NC700 headphones is with my iMac (27-inch, 2019, version 10.15.7 - Catalina) and iPhone X (Software version 14.4).  I use them both for work and gaming.  My default setup is to have both the iPhone and iMac connected to the headphones (especially helpful when there are a lot of distractions around and I need to get work done).  The problem is that, with this setup, there is no way I have found to simply answer an incoming call.  I am able to make a phone call out, with FaceTime (problem with that is that I still hear my music softly in the background though my guess is that this is an Apple setting).  When a call is coming in, the headphones will say "name is calling" but when I try to double tap the headphone, it makes a ding, like it is going to answer the phone, but does not.  The only way I have found to make this work is to first answer the phone and then quickly change the source to my headphones (not very professional).  

Here are some things that I have tried in troubleshooting the problem:

• Connected (with app on the iPhone) to the phone and iMac - Can't answer call
  • Connected only to phone - Am able to answer call as designed
  • Connected to both iPad (3rd generation 19 inch) and phone - Can't answer call
  • Connected only to iMac - Can't answer call.  However, am able to play music.

Hoping that there is a solution because this issue is something that will definitely impact my product decision when I am ready to move on from my current headphones.

8 REPLIES 8
Charlotte_G

Re: NC700 unable to answer phone when connected to both phone and other Apple device

Hey @DMalt, thanks for posting, and welcome to the Bose Community! 

Sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the touch controls on your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

Are you trying to answer calls on your phone only, or through your iMac/iPad too? 

One workaround for this would be to change your call audio routing settings. You can route the call, when answered via the phone itself, to go directly through your connected Bluetooth headphones. Go to Settings>Accessibility>Touch>Bluetooth Headset.

I'd also love to see if other members of the Bose Community have any input on this matter. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
DMalt
Participant
Registered since

Feb 22, 2020

Re: NC700 unable to answer phone when connected to both phone and other Apple device

I have tried answering calls with both the iMac and iPad and get the same results, unfortunately. 

Charlotte_G

@DMalt Thanks for confirming! Are these regular cellular calls or VoIP calls like WhatsApp/Zoom etc?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
365nice
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

I get exactly the same behaviour - a celluar phone call comes in, it announces the call (I've disabled this now - its too disruptive) and then I can't hear anything as its coming out of the phone speaker.

so as suggested you have to fiddle around, launch the bose app and try to switch sources - or I've found that pressing source button on the phone-app, will show a list of devices for which Bose isn't selected, and I have to select it to actually hear the person on the phone. As mentioned - this isn't very professional and I have to explain to the caller that my Bose headphones don't work well (so you can share my embarrassment).

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi 365nice,

If your headphones are not automatically selected as the audio output for calls, you can set the headphones as the default by following these steps on an iPhone:

• Open the Settings app.
  • Tap Accessibility.
  • Tap Touch.
  • Tap Call Audio Routing.
  • Your options are AutomaticBluetooth Headset, and Speaker, your headphones fall under the Bluetooth Headset option. 

I hope this helps, let me know!

365nice
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

Thanks, I'll give this accessibility modification a try. It was set on automatic when I looked - and that setting has worked fine for my airpods (admittedly they are Apple, so have the inner track on this), but I'm sure other BT headphones have worked in the past with this setting as well.

So I shall await for my next call with anticipation vs. the dread that I've been facing the last few weeks.

Fingers crossed - and if we can just fix the stuttering issue I'll be a happy customer again

Keith_L
Community Manager

No worries 365nice, let me know how you get on!

From what I've found what tends to happen with the iPhone set to automatic is that when you answer the call from the phone itself, the call audio gets routed through the phone speakers, but when you answer through the controls on the headphones it will route the call audio through the headphones instead. By setting it to default to the headphones, any time you have Bluetooth headphones connected it will use the headphones for the call audio by default no matter where the call is answered from. As you noted the Airpods might work slightly differently but them being Apple's own headphones does give them an advantage with iPhones!

365nice
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

Hi - I just wanted to reply and confirm that this accessibility trick did mostly resolve my problem with answering the phone and getting audio and voice through the headphones. 

This solution should be made more obvious - if not the default (maybe not possible) when setting up the headphones. Why you would want it to not work this way I'm not sure, as it totally ruined the experience for me - and I'm glad you pointed out a solution, so this has given me a bit more confidence in the headphones.

I still have had a few occasions where I have struggled to get a call through the headphones - but these were times where I was answering in a hurry and may have turned the headphones off when picking them up (which seems a usability flaw too) - but its definitely better.

Thanks again.

Tim