JoePR31
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

NCH 700 Ear Pads

I’d like to know if the NCH 700 ear pads are user replaceable like the ones on the QC35. I don’t see the pads listed for sale, I can’t really tell by looking at them, and I’m not about to yank on them as someone else suggested.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: NCH 700 Ear Pads

Author Accepted Answer selected by JoePR31

Hello JoePR31, 

Welcome to the Bose Community and thanks for posting. 

We can confirm like our other headphones, an ear cushion kit will be available for purchase. We do not yet have a release date available for them but they will be listed under the accessories page of the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 when they become available.

The big thing that is overlooked when it comes to ear cushions is the manner in which they are kept. Protein leather can potentially deteriorate over time if not cared for properly. Acids in one's sweat if left on the material can have a negative effect. We recommend giving them a wipe down after extended use using a gently dampened cloth, and when in storage, having the provided silica gel packets in the case will draw moisture away from the product. This should help lengthen the life of your cushions. 

The great thing about our headphones is that should the cushions begin to deteriorate after many uses, they are easily user-replaceable. 

Finally, the key thing I should stress is that of the QC35s sold, many customers will not have had issues with their cushions, therefore are not compelled to leave reviews on a website about them. This can give a somewhat skewed perception of the overall quality when researching, only to find generally negative reviews. 

I hope this helps. 

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
JoePR31
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Just wanted to share some disturbing information that I found. This is my first Bose headphone, and so I went browsing through accessories on the Bose website and came across the listing for the QC35 replacement ear pads. I also read the reviews. The reviews are atrocious. Horror story after horror story regarding the durability and life expectancy of the pads.

I’d still like to know if their will be replacement pads offered for sale for the NCH 700 but, if so, I really hope that they will be of a higher quality than the QC35 ones. Either way, I’m no longer feeling great about this purchase. All the incredible tech and the modern design will mean nothing if something as basic yet as important as the ear pads are made so cheaply that they fail and fall apart in a year or less...almost unanimously.

Here’s a link to the QC35 pad reviews, just in case anyone wants to confirm the terrible quality for themselves:

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/headphone_accessories/qc35-ear-cushion-kit.html#v=qc3...

Jeff_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by JoePR31

Hello JoePR31, 

Welcome to the Bose Community and thanks for posting. 

We can confirm like our other headphones, an ear cushion kit will be available for purchase. We do not yet have a release date available for them but they will be listed under the accessories page of the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 when they become available.

The big thing that is overlooked when it comes to ear cushions is the manner in which they are kept. Protein leather can potentially deteriorate over time if not cared for properly. Acids in one's sweat if left on the material can have a negative effect. We recommend giving them a wipe down after extended use using a gently dampened cloth, and when in storage, having the provided silica gel packets in the case will draw moisture away from the product. This should help lengthen the life of your cushions. 

The great thing about our headphones is that should the cushions begin to deteriorate after many uses, they are easily user-replaceable. 

Finally, the key thing I should stress is that of the QC35s sold, many customers will not have had issues with their cushions, therefore are not compelled to leave reviews on a website about them. This can give a somewhat skewed perception of the overall quality when researching, only to find generally negative reviews. 

I hope this helps. 

Jeff G - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

JoePR31
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Hi Jeff. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question regarding pad availability, and for reassuring me regarding ear pad quality. I will do as you suggested and gently wipe the pads every few days, or after any long or sweaty listening session. Hopefully they hold up for a respectable amount of time.

ToothlessGibbon
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Bose NC Headphones 700 - Replace earpads?

So what is the method of removing the earpads? Is it the same as with the QC35?

RoboBobby
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

I have the same question as @ToothlessGibbon; how are the earpads removed? Since they have a more seamless design, whatever internal clips may be present are not visible like they are on other Bose headphones that I have owned (QC15 and QC25). Without the visible clips, I wonder how easy replacement earpads will be to attach? I tried tentatively pulling on the earpads, and they didn't budge. I stopped as I did not want to damage them in case they are not actually removable. I am hoping that the attachment is all internal and the earpads are easier to attach than they are to remove. They do look and feel rather permanent though (which I suppose is a complement if they are removable).

Hopefully they truly are customer replaceable; if not, then that will be a deal breaker for me as Bose earpads are notorious for flaking and tearing—even when treated with proper care. My partner and I have consistently had to replace our QC15 and QC25 earpads at a rate of once or per year over the past eight years, and that's even with exceptional care (home use only, routine cleaning, keeping them in the case when not in use, etc.). I may return my NCH700s before my 30 day trial period expires if a more definite confirmation of earpad replaceability isn't promptly forthcoming.

JoePR31
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

I agree. Bose pads are comfortable, but not very durable. I know we were told that replacement ear pads would be available for sale, but I too would like to actually see how the pads are removed and reinstalled. Bose should make a tutorial video.

FullmetalJun
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 10, 2018

U just bought them. The pads will last at least 1 year minimum unless you're careless, use them during exercise & sweat a lot. In cold regions, they even last up to 2 years before degrading.

Just enjoy your headphones & music.

Btw under warranty, Bose will replace them & often for free depending on the circumstances.

Tegan_M

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your input regarding the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 Ear Cushions. 

We currently do not have a tutorial made for the attachment and removal of the Ear Cushions of this headphone model yet, however I will happily pass this suggestion forward! The Cushion Kits will also come with instructions provided. 

Regarding @FullmetalJun 's comment regarding warranty replacements.  Due to the circumstances which Jeff has already stated above about the environmental and care factors which can effect the cushions, they are not directly covered by warranty as they are a perishable component. However, if you do experience any issues with the ear cushions, we do recommend calling your regions product support team for any further assistance regarding this and our team there will be able to issue what options are available to you. 

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask! 

Tegan M 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
RoboBobby
Participant
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Yes, I just bought them, @FullmetalJun, but "at least one year" is insufficient if the earpads aren't replaceable. Some of us don't purchase $399.99 headphones frivolously or for short-term use (I consider one year to be relatively short-term for high-end headphones). I've accepted that Bose headphones typically come with an additional semi-annual earpad replacement cost; however, I'm not willing to accept the possibility that the headphones may be irreparably damaged within a year from typical use if the earpads are not actually replaceable. At this point, with no concrete evidence, we can only trust that the earpads are/will be replaceable. A bit more certainty would be reassuring. A tutorial video of the earpads being removed and reinstalled would be sufficient. Anyone bold enough to to give it a try and report back?