Re: New Bose qc35ii skipping ans stuttering

Hello RichB,

My apologies for repeating the troubleshooting. Have you tried the headphones with another Bluetooth device? As this will allow us to determine whether the issue is with the headphones or the phone being used. 

Kindest regards,

Zoe C

RichB
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Hi Zoe - I have not tried the headphones with another device, I will have to look for one, maybe my computer might have bluetooth - however let me point out i use my phone to connect to bluetooth in my car, and to a Bose bluetooth speaker - neither have issues, so it is unlikely the phone.  

I am happy to perform any troubleshooting issues to get this resolved! Thak you 

Highlighted
RichB
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Thank you - The issue occurs using both streaming app (pandora) and Poweramp (music stored on my phone). Very happy to continue troubleshooting, all evidence at this time points to the bluetooth connection between my phone and the headphones. The phone does not have issues with other devices so that kind of eliminates the phone - which leaves us the headphones. 

I will try to find another bluetooth device to connect to the phone, also I will try a wired connection. 

RichB
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2019

I have connected the headphones to the bluetooth on my PC. The skipping still did occur much much less frequently. Could be due to the fact that I am stationary in front of my computer rather than mobile as I am with my phone, however the skipping and stuttering did indeed occur. 

I was streaming Pandora. After verifying it skipped I then disconnected and let pandora play for a while over my computer speakers without issue. 

Looking forward to the next recommendation. 

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@RichB  I'll go backwards - the fact that it didn't skip playing Pandora on your PC indicates that its not a streaming issue and that it is related to BT.

> Thank you - The issue occurs using both streaming app (pandora) and Poweramp (music stored on my phone).

I would personally still be interested in whether any other app on your phone such as Ecoute designed to play locally stored music without any Internet connection will yield the same result as Poweramp.   My guess is the skipping will continue but it is worth checking out.

> all evidence at this time points to the bluetooth connection between my phone and the headphones.

Bluetooth is an industry standard communications protocol between two devices (you can read more about it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth. ) So if something does not 'work' without knowing / reading the actual communications protocol implementation code on BOTH sides, we can't point to one side or the other.  It could require a change to both sides, for example.   So support people IMHO make 'guesses' often pointing to the other vendor/end.  But they are in fact guesses.

> The phone does not have issues with other devices so that kind of eliminates the phone - which leaves us the headphones.

Actually not totally technically correct.  If other devices work, it may still be possible they did not 'excercise' code on the phone end that implemented BT 4.x that is being exercised by the interaction with Bose.  Is that likely?  No real way to tell without one vendor or both actually following the code when the 'situation' happens.  This is the way, debugging has been done for years and I started as a professional programmer in 1972 and that is even how we tracked bugs 47 years ago.

So here is the situation and its not specific to your issues and I am not a Bose employee but have experienced it myself.  Its a "LOGJAM".  Again BT is two way - and so unless the issue is global, both vendors/ends look at it and say its not them.  Apple/the phone end say, it works with everything but the QC35ii so it's not their problem.  Bose says, the QC35ii works with all phones they have tested (including all the iPhones), so it must be an Apple or Windows problem.  No one wants to assign engineering resources for something that seems to have little impact on the overall market - so nothing gets done.  IMHO sad......

RichB
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Thank you, I am in the software development industry myself and have been for over 30 years, and I do agree with your assessment around vendor bingo. I am all too familiar with that game. I can also recognize a bug or a faulty product, which this situation is most likely one or the other. 

I will keep trying to diagnose. Not holding out hope for a solution, I might have to look into how I send these back but I am sure it will be very difficult as I got these from my credit card rewards. 

Thanks for the help, not sure what else you can do at this point. Very disappointed but that's life I guess, live and learn.