Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2020

New QC35ii owner, shall I update?

Hi, New owner of a pair of QC35ii after lengthy comparisons with the Sony 1000XM3. I think I made the right choice... much better comfort, multi pairing and much more neutral balanced sound. Absolutely love it!

Then I saw the controversy on v4.5.2.... the Bose app is asking me to update. Should I do it, currently on v4.3.6? Advice appreciated, Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: New QC35ii owner, shall I update?

Author Accepted Answer selected by alexkyk

@alexkyk No reason to unless you are sure there is something in 4.5.2 that you need.  It is a globally accepted thing in all support communities to fix things by first making sure the customer has the latest of everything.  It makes things easier for the support people - I know - I used to run a small call center at a large oil company.

Some of us (including me) are on 4.5.2 with no problem.  Many others have ANC issues - for example, switching between LOW and HIGH doesn't make a difference.  Others complain about degraded ANC.  You can read the 'pinned discussion'.  Also you can try and go back if you don't like it - you can only go forward.

I would recommend if you are not having a problem on this or any other firmware based electronic device, stay where you are.  About the only device I regularly upgrade (and one can even argue about that one) is iOS on my iphone which I just upgraded to 13.5.1.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by alexkyk

@alexkyk No reason to unless you are sure there is something in 4.5.2 that you need.  It is a globally accepted thing in all support communities to fix things by first making sure the customer has the latest of everything.  It makes things easier for the support people - I know - I used to run a small call center at a large oil company.

Some of us (including me) are on 4.5.2 with no problem.  Many others have ANC issues - for example, switching between LOW and HIGH doesn't make a difference.  Others complain about degraded ANC.  You can read the 'pinned discussion'.  Also you can try and go back if you don't like it - you can only go forward.

I would recommend if you are not having a problem on this or any other firmware based electronic device, stay where you are.  About the only device I regularly upgrade (and one can even argue about that one) is iOS on my iphone which I just upgraded to 13.5.1.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2020

@joelirwinHi, Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Everything is working well so I'll keep to the current version as suggested. Cheers! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

I was on a much older version and decided to take the plunge and upgraded to 4.5.2 yesterday. Following this, I ran an airplane cabin noise test and cycled through the three different ANC modes. I could easily tell the difference in the three ANC modes which means, thankfully, no issue for me with the upgrade.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@TheFalconSame for me and I upgraded twice - once connect and once web.  Still sounds fine on off, low and high.  That is what makes this 'situation' difficult to diagnose since some have no issues with ANC and some do.  So we can't say it is definitely a firmware issue, for example.  That is why I still believe some units have chipsets that return incorrect answers/data causing the firmware to incorrectly set the ANC.