New qc 35 ii "white" noise problems 3.1.8

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

New qc 35 ii "white" noise problems 3.1.8

Hello!

I have just received qc 3.5 ii, which goes with 3.1.8 from stock. I have a problem with the ANC, I'm experiencing kind of white noise (don't really know the kind of noise, it is like "rain") and they filter less ambient noise than in the store where I bought (test product). Reading info in the web, I have seen people experiencing the same many months ago. I I have also seen a "fix" that is downgrade firmware, but now we can't. So what con I do to solve that? or or I just have to go to the store and replace them? I'm very disappointed, cause it is particularly annoying noise that can be heard even with music playing. 

Ty for your time Smiley Happy

12 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Re: New qc 35 ii "white" noise problems 3.1.8

Have them replaced with a set that comes with firmware 2.0.1, or get your money back. I just received a replacement from Bose, it came with 2.0.1 and I just had this same exact issue right after upgrading the firmware to latest version 3.1.8... a faint hissing noise like rain from afar, and the ambient noise DID get filtered less.

Devs might not have made any changes to ANC code, but they certainly made changes to other sound features that affected ANC indirectly. I'm now debating between having the unit replaced once more or get my money back.

This is ridiculous.

Hi all,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear about that. The QC35 II is a great headset and you should be enjoying it. If you feel like your product is not working properly for any reason we are here to help. I would recommend contacting your local support team for an exchange. Here is a link with contact information. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us." 

Kind Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

@Tony_G,

It is and isn't a great headset.

Look, I understand that devs have confirmed they didn't make any changes to ANC code in the firmware, but it's clear to me they made changes to other code that affected ANC indirectly (one example I can think of is post-recording processing, where the sound being recorded by the mics could now be reduced to a higher degree, making ANC respond less as it thinks the outside noise is less strong than it actually is).

Just look at my case with a NEW pair I just received a week ago (a replacement). They came with 2.0.1 and I tested them for several days; yesterday I updated them to 3.1.8 and got this ANC issue!

Have you guys tested the resulting noise after ANC on two separate headsets, one with 2.0.1 and the other with 3.1.8, receiving the same noise input in a controlled environment? I would really like to know if you guys, instead of asking the dev team if they made any changes to ANC code, have actually run a controlled test with two headsets.

And I'm not concerned about my case; I've already been offered my money back by the Tech Support team. I'm only debating between getting my money back or getting a replacement once more and sticking with 2.0.1 until a new firmware version is released and confirmed by other users to not cause this issue.

These headphones are great, I love the multi-device connectivity feature and the sound balance; but having this kind of issues after a firmware update is ridiculous.

Quiet Contributor

I have just received a new replacement. It comes with 4.1.3 firmware (seems to be new). It has the same problem... Seems that ANC filter more ambient noise, but the annoying noise is still there...

I am seriously thinking if I ask for the money and look for another option from another manufacturer. I've been testing other devices in the same price range that apparently do not have that problem.
The fact is that I spent a lot of money on a headset to avoid problems and this is driving me crazy.

Friendly Fanatic

Firmware 4.1.3? Are you sure? Could you share a screenshot?

Quiet Contributor

Yes, of course. I was also surprised to see it. I searched for information on the internet but found nothing. Regards

Pd: I do not know if it is allowed to upload links. If it is not, I did not know, I'm sorry

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OW5bmQMEVkmV3U5XH3xG7vVA53Fz8cPb

Friendly Fanatic

Bose is a complete mess!

I received a new replacement a few days ago, and guess what? Manufacturing date is November 27, 2017! More than a year old, **bleep** it! Only good thing about these ones is they came with 2.0.1, but they got the ANC issue right after upgrading to 3.1.8. At least it's good to know 4.1.3 seems to alleviate this issue.

@Tony_G, what do you know about this new firmware version? It is clear that new units are being shipped with a firmware version that should already have been made available.

Anyway, I will definitely return this unit I received (already more than one year old) and go to one of the stores in my city and get a really brand-new pair to test them if they come with 4.1.3. If ANC is good, I'll keep them; otherwise, return... open purchase FTW.

Quiet Contributor

In my case I'll tell you that it filters more ambient noise than in the first headphones that they gave me, but you can still listen to that annoying background noise when activating ANC... I can hear the noise even when I listen to low music. This is very very disappointing for a € 300 headphones...

Audible Advocate

This is very, very, disappointing.

I have long used my QC15 - and now have extended their useful life by adding a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the internal 3.5mm socket.

Works tremendously.

Silence is my refuge.

After a great deal of reviewing other's reviews (unable to do a side-by-side test myself), I purchased a set of 1000XM2 (many seem tp prefer the audio quality, plus, the price was very good).

The 1000XM2 have good ANC, but an audible hiss.  So, I returned them to the manufacturer.  They sent me a new set.  Same hiss.  (tried without linking them as well).

I can't tolerate the hiss - it's like a recording of rain outside a well-insulated home.  It's as though I volunteered to wear a tinnitus simulator.

So,my only hope was to pony up for the QC35ii - but for the cost, I've been holding off.

Now it seems I've waited too long - because it sounds as though Bose has tried to compete with Sony with introduced low-level hiss.

**bleep** it! 

Can the QC35ii firmware be re-flashed to older firmware?