cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fzero
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 15, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.4.12 - May 12th 2020 ***UPDATED JULY 2, 2020***

I sincerely & whole-heartedly regret buying the NC700 headphones last summer. As a Hi-Fi enthusiast, I have never been a fan of Bose. When I decided to buy a pair of ANC headphones, I originally intended to buy Sony after reading tons of comparisons but I was assured by dozens of people I trust that Bose made the best on the market. So I went against my better judgement and got the NC700 headphones. Initially, they had some quirks but were still excellent headphones. A few weeks into ownership, I grew more and more frustrated by stutter, constant dropped connections, horrible multipoint handling, not being able to use them while charging (seriously?), and just overall poor ownership experience. However, I knew that these were software bugs that could be ironed out via Firmware so I remained optimistic.

Well, consider me a fool. The past year of owning these things has been frustrating at best. There were several Firmware updates that would sort of fix some issues while introducing new ones. Firmware revisions that literally bricked them for 3-4 weeks. Now, they are working but the ANC is dramatically worse to the point of being useless.

How does a company like Bose, with what I can only assume is a large team of developers, let something like this happen? Do you have any QC and QA testing before just deploying firmware that impacts thousands of customers? The length of this thread is a testament to Bose’s lack of concern for their customers. If Bose had any integrity or customer dedication, this would have been immediately fixed. If it couldn’t be fixed quickly, the product would have been recalled and customers would have been financially compensated.  Instead, it’s been months since the last firmware update that obviously broke a large number of units (just look at this thread) and you have nothing to say about it?

I am a very patient consumer and understand that any new tech product is prone to bugs, glitches, etc. Its the cost of innovation. However, when I purchase something, I put my trust in the manufacturer to stand by their product. Bose, you broke that trust. Your attitude and complete disregard for your customers who paid upwards of $400 USD for a defective product is  pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. I would love to return these but obviously it is way too late. I am not willing to or capable of spending another $300 on a competitors superior product. So here I am, stuck with little to show and $400 poorer. But I’m not letting Bose off the hook. I am holding you to correct this problem for everyone. Do the right thing by your customers.

slashdot
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.4.12 - May 12th 2020 ***UPDATED JULY 2, 2020***

For the love of Christ please just give us some updates or at least be clear about what is going to happen to all of our purchased headsets. Will it be fixed? By when? Will they be recalled? When? Mine bricked last Sunday and all I can find online and at the retailer were hundreds of people with the exact same problem. Since there are hundreds of posts, real life numbers must be far greater as most people don't even bother to post. They just call the store and have them figure it out.

This is my first Bose product and it will be my last. I've never witnessed such a lack of interest in one's customers. Bose, you need to come out and make a statement about this and how you plan to make this right.

saleh byn
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Hi,

this update did not fix the battery life flaws, still not fully charged after hours of charging and still the battery consumption is very high! 

i have QC35!! and its battery life is great, lasts for weeks based on my usage.

but the same usage with NC700 only a few days!

i noticed a lot of complains regards this issue and som of them exchanged the product more than once and the same issue occurred.. 

i guess a refund is a better solution.

Sylviablo
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

This whole situation has definitely been a disappointment to me, especially because I loved these headphones for the brief time I could actually use them for what I needed. First a month of being unable to use them in VOIP apps, then 2 weeks with a functional work headset, now they've been bricked for a month with no end in sight.

And it seriously strikes me as weird that not only is there no fix, but there's been no workaround, no real attempts to troubleshoot. Just a one size fits all reset suggestion and then immediately jump to a full hardware replacement when the reset fails. **Other customers** figured out how to do a rollback to fix the bricking, and the manufacturer can't provide any type of workaround?

Overall my impression of Bose as a first time customer is ... not great. lol. But at least I learned from it! My spouse got a lovely pair of Sennheisers as a birthday gift this year.

User-c5da
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

As a solution, I recommend that returning it for a refund while you can.   I waited, hoping for a fix from Bose. 

The firmware fix they temporarily released bricked the device, and now I am  trying to get a warranty replacement. 

I shipped it to Bose 10 days ago.   It arrived 5 days ago according to UPS, but due to low availability of workers at Bose (COVID-19 challenges which are understandable), is  sitting in a holding bin, and no estimated date when they will be able to ship a replacement out.

Thus warranty repair times may just get worse over time.

Save yourself the pain, return it now.   There is no firmware fix on the horizon for the majority of issues (multi-point, disconnects, crackling, battery life, bricked device).  They have accepted user feedback to try and narrow down the issues, but this is a very long list of problems they would need to work through.  

Hilton Caeiro
Participant
Registered since

Jul 16, 2020

I am on firmware version 1.3.1. I was unable to update my firmware to 1.4.12 neither via the Bose music app nor via the btu.bose.com link. Can you please guide me me ho to update the firmware?

Regards,

Hilton

lunchman
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

Hilton,

You can't update to 1.4.12 since Bose pulled it from the update site back in early July (the July 2nd update reference in the thread title). Consider yourself lucky. If you've read through this thread, you'll realize there are far too many issues that were introduced by this firmware release. 

Hilton Caeiro
Participant
Registered since

Jul 16, 2020

Thanks for confirming!

iAmBoricua
Contributor
Registered since

May 14, 2020

Hi, Luncman

Since I managed to change my HP 700 last month I have not wanted to download the application to avoid having the problem with the battery again. Downloading the app again would it have 1.3.1?

Bertan
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2020

So, is there any updates on when this update will be re-released? Fortunately I still have a good time left on my refund window but so far this is not giving me confidence that these headphones will last a year or more considering they are dependent on the software and Bose seem to not care about supporting the software or at least announce updates?