Contributor
Registered since

Sep 4, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.7.0 - September 14th 2020

Automatically updated from 1.5 to 1.7 without incident.

Have not yet noticed any additional issues.

I am still experiencing the reboot/connect disconnect issue with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4. Headphones will connect to the S4 bluetooth readily.

The nc700's will THEN go into a continuous reboot/connect disconnect cycle every 20 seconds or so until you start the Bose Music App and connect the nc700's in the app. This sometimes takes several attempts to connect or you have to use the pairing button on the nc700's at times to connect to the app.

Keep up with the updates hopefully you'll get it sorted eventually.

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 17, 2020

I'm returning mine tomorrow. Both in/out is bad on Windows 10. Some applications work with the "LE" device and some applications don't. And once you switch the output to the other to be able to hear, you can't switch back. I had to unpair and start over to be able to use it.

The Bose Music app on my iPad Pro is full of bugs. Doesn't detect the headphones half the time. Kill the app, disconnect the device from the Bluetooth settings and start afresh every few times. This is ridiculous.

Advocate
Registered since

Apr 10, 2017

Good evening. I have been using the update for almost a week. I have read 100+ replies and have not seen this mentioned. I notice a difference in a few of the audio aspects. Some are not negative, Just different. For example the 50% volume is ever so slightly louder than 50% volume was previously. Also, notice that the mids (such as male voices) are slightly less present. The mids sound a little more distanced like the QC15 though it as bad. As to the bass, the mid bass sounds (to my ears) slightly more emphasized than before the update. In a way, this makes the headphones sound  a little more dynamic.  The problem is, it is not as accurate. The bass change makes these 700 sound a little more like the bass on the QC 35 - though not as muddy. 

The final sound signature that I noticed after this update is the highs. Unfortunately, cymbals, triangles harps etc are a little cut off. They do not have the ring to them as they did before. They sound kore like a “th” or and “s” sound rather than a clear and elongated ring.  Adjusting the treble on the equalizer does not change this dynamic unfortunately.

Now, I know that there were some predominant audiophile reviews out there that described the original 700 headphones as being too bright. Indeed, they sounded as though the highest frequencies were overemphasized compared to the QC35 or even the QC15. Personally, I enjoyed the brighter signature because the mids were still just right and the bass was tight and deep. If anything the original 700 headphone sound signature may have sounded a fade to clean compared to the QC35 because the mid bass on the 700 were accurate as opposed to slightly overemphasized as the QC35 were. 

In the end, I wonder that there are way too many reviews who are saying that the new Sony’s sound better than the Bose and that Bose has slightly changed the sound profile In this new update to more closely match the Sony’s. Perhaps?  Maybe?  

i understand that much of what we here is physiological and psychological.  indeed, everyone hears differently.  So, most might not even notice the slight sound differences in this latest update. Others will notice and think that they sound better. Personally, I miss the perfect sounding cymbals if the 700 that I listened to and chose. Though I love the technological advances and marvels that modern wireless headphones bring; I also miss investing in headphones that could not get firmware updates. In other words, their sound and function stayed constant and consistent,

Thank you for listening for what it is worth - if anything 🙂

Participant
Registered since

Sep 18, 2020

Mine have been doing the same thing halfway through the battery prompt they disconnect. my phone tells me that there is 10% battery left but the headphones tell me 17 hours.

i've done all the factory resets and removed Bluetooth devices five times 

Contributor
Registered since

Aug 4, 2020

@davidmelis I do agree. Thanks for your post since I was thinking for so long that this might may be another change that I am only facing. Sound signature has definitely changed. The bass looks to be more enhanced. Though is not a deal breaker but I used to love the earlier sound signature much more. Some how I feel that “ Equaliser” doesn’t have much effect on listening experience. Maybe some things wrong with my headset. 

Advisor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

@Daring48, @davidmelis and others,

The worst part is that Bose forces us to update their buggy software every time. We just have no choice. No option to stop update in the music app or roll back to previous firmware version. This is so frustrating ...

What will happen next time, what to expect with next update?
Are these headphones still the same product we paid for a few months ago?

Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

Update, nevermind. The workaround of turning off Bluetooth on my device and waiting for the headphones to boot up completely either stopped working or never actually worked (I'm surprised I could use my headphones yesterday). Worse, if I try to power down the headphones during a boot loop, they either don't respond (like expected with this issue) or shut down with the LED stuck on white and refuse to turn on again. A reset resolves it.

This is ridiculous, another warranty replacement, I guess. I just want to use my headphones. How do I stop the updates? Google Assistant also offers updates. Maybe I'll get a midnight blue variant this round. Maybe a newer unit (which the new colour should guarantee) won't suffer from this issue.

I did not notice any difference in the sound signature.

I don't get it, is it a bad batch of headphones that cannot work properly with firmware version over 1.3.1/1.5 or what? Why don't I see many people having boot loop issues with their NC700s in this thread? There is a whole thread dedicated to the whole NC700 rebooting issue (titled "Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot"). No, actually there were multiple threads that got merged into one. It isn't the update process itself, both my older set and newer set were updated to 1.3.1 with no issues, my first set was killed by the 1.4 update, my new set started suffering from the same issue a day or two ago when 1.7 dropped. Will a warranty repair fix the issue? How do I ensure I don't receive a replacement with the problematic firmware already installed? Is it a firmware issue, a hardware issue, a compatibility problem with certain phones above a certain firmware version, or all of the above?

Participant
Registered since

Aug 31, 2020

I have updated the firmware from 1.3 to 1.7 and i am very happy. EQ is working fine .

Battery is showing 20 hrs. so far no issues and am so happy with Bose 700. 

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

I took all the updates from 1.3 to 1.7 and battery still reports at ~16 hours. It stopped saying "battery full" with all updates past 1.3. My phone shows battery at 90% charge after charging overnight. The Bose app shows the battery as fully charged with about 16 hours.

This issue is NOT fixed. 

Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 3, 2020

app auto update my headphones from 1.31 to 1.70 there's no way to stop automatic update from the app itself.

immediately notices the following

1) battery at full charge now reporting around 17 + hours down from previously 19+ ~20 hours

2) noticeable, and frequent static sound disrupting to music playback when dual connect to MBPro and iphone (problem is worse off than FW1.31)

3) noticeable, and frequent static sound disrupting to music playback when solely connect to MBPro( never had this problem with FW1.31)

EQ function do not make much differences that i can hear, so effectively FW 1.70 is useless to me that i do not need to update but app is not giving me a choice to turn off auto update.