Mike k.
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.7.0 - September 14th 2020

Mine was just fine and freeze about the time the update went live... if it was the update, it was triggered automatically, I can't confirm as I'm unable to connect or anything as -my 1 month and 2 weeks 700-  is unusable, with solid blue light unresponsive buttons and unable to reach them via Bluetooth since yesterday (09/14). Waiting for them to die once they run out of battery hopping they will restart and get back to normal. 

Update: Finally ran out of battery, and I was able to turn them back on, it WAS NOT related the 1.7 update as it was still in the older version. I was able to update it and back in business. I love the fact ! I'm able to turn off (or seeing it was extended to an hour)  the auto-off because due to no movemen-the most annoying "feature" ever. 

amatot
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 14, 2020

RE: firmware update.

[Edited by Moderator]

Just to recap got my brand new Triple Midnight Yesterday and they automatically updated to 1.7.0 with the following issues:

-Battery life capping at 18 hours

-Stutter with 2 simultaneous connections

-issue with the noise cancelling level double announcements.

Unless I am doing the reset wrong (I tried many times) the issues persist.

I am actually sad about giving up on Bose because I had been a loyal fan for years I still felt they were superior to the XM4's in some aspects but for a high end device like this these issues are unacceptable. My old QC 35's 1st gen never had a single issue.

For those thinking about Sony I test drove them for a couple of weeks.

-Call quality is not good, the problem is instead of cancelling outside noise they bring it in which makes the experience bad. 

-Sound quality is top notch and head and shoulders above Bose

-Battery Life is excellent and comfort is better than the NC700

-Bose still feels more premium and I noticed Sony started making some hinge noises after a few hours of usage.

-It also seems Sony's cant have their Cushions replaced.

I could go on but just wanted to let you all know there is no perfect headset.

Mw100
Participant
Registered since

Sep 15, 2020

This update has essentially left my headphones non-functional. The headphones repeatedly cycle off and on when connected to more than one device. Only a complete disconnection and unpairing from all devices will allow then to stay on and sometimes I can get one connection to function. This same setup worked prior to the update with 100 percent functionality.

I would avoid this firmware upgrade if you don't want to essentially brick your headphones.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Thanks for taking the time to join the discussion, and provide your feedback on the latest firmware! It’s great to hear it has been working well for most of you, and that you are enjoying being able to access the EQ controls again!

As a few of you have mentioned some issues that have been cropping up, I’d like to suggest some troubleshooting and also gather more information on exactly what is happening with your headphones.

Unable to update

A couple of you have posted saying you are unable to update to the latest firmware yet. If you are having trouble updating then you’ll want to perform the update through our Device Updater on a computer. To make sure the update runs smoothly with the device updater, make sure your headphones are the only Bose device connected via USB to your computer when you open the updater, and they do have at least some battery charge before starting.

If you run into any problems using the device updater, then try opening the link in another web browser and then plugging the headphones into another USB port on the computer. I tend to use Google Chrome when updating my headphones so if you are having trouble with other browsers I’d recommend trying Chrome!

Trouble Switching Between Two Connected Devices.

I’ve seen a couple of users mention that one of the connected devices is acting as if it is always playing audio, even if it isn’t, and this stops you from switching between the two connected devices correctly. Interestingly, most of the posts about this mention their MacBook Pro as the device that is constantly active and preventing you from switching. If you are one of those who are having this issue with your MacBook, could you please let me know what OS version your MacBook is running?

Also, if you are experiencing this issue, does this happen with any 2 Bluetooth devices you connect, or will it only happen when one particular device is connected to the headphones?
I’d definitely recommend starting by clearing your pairing between your headphones and your other devices, then re-pairing them to try and resolve this. You can clear the pairing by following the steps shown HERE.

You’ll also want to clear the headphones from the Bluetooth lists of your phones/laptops/other devices as well before reconnecting them.

If this troubleshooting is unsuccessful, could you please let me know some detailed information on any devices you have connected when experiencing this issue? Information such as the model and firmware of any connected devices would be really useful!

Conversation Mode Not Working

As there have been a couple of posts saying you are unable to use conversation mode, what is happening when you press and hold the Noise Control button to activate conversation mode? As pressing and holding this button is supposed to simultaneously pause your audio and gives you full awareness, is the button doing either of these things? Are you getting any response at all when trying to activate conversation mode?

For anyone who is unable to use conversation mode since the update, the first thing I would recommend doing is a reset of your headphones. You’ll find the full instructions on how to perform this reset HERE.

I hope this helps, let me know how any troubleshooting goes! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Vonthedon
Participant
Registered since

Sep 15, 2020

My nc700’s headphones are skipping every few seconds with YouTube and even YouTube music. I don’t even know where to begin to look for a fix. 😡

Mencjusz
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

So, after having some time to experience the update (from 1.3.1 to 1.7) I can conclude:

1. there is a significant improvement regarding the stutter, however, it is still appearing while connected to Windows 10, Dell Laptop only. It is not as persistent as before, nonetheless, existing.

2. there is a significant problem with connecting to Music App while connected to a smartphone only - I had to turn in/off Bluetooth in the phone and/or the 700 to connect with the app.

3. from time to time, there is a robotic sound from the speaker while having a call on the phone - this was not present at 1.3.1 ver.

4. One time I also experience an automatic restart of 700 while connected to the laptop - not sure if the issue will persist yet.

In general, the update is positive change, but, the 700 still require some work to do.

ampdeck
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2020

Im on latest version now but during conference call my headset seems got disconnected from my phone BT. There was no sound and I have to turn OFF and ON my NC 700.

Ricktheman
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 5, 2020

Overall, positive firmware update so far. I did not have the problems that previous posters listed as I am using windows and android phones.

Previously I had intermittent stutter sounds off and on about every hour or so. However, I was using the headphone all day yesterday along with the phone. It switched between the two ok without issues. No stutters the whole day yesterday which is a big improvement. Finally, bose made multipoint useful again. I wonder if it was because of my last post and many others that helped the programmer fix the issue as it got fixed within 2 weeks of my last post 🙂

I noticed that it did not announce the noise cancellation level when I cycled through the left button. I will need to try pressing it longer to see if awareness mode would be engaged. 

I will report back in a week if there's anything odd that comes up. Overall, a positive move, Bose!

Lammiwinks
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 28, 2020

Do note that announcements for noise cancelling level are not supposed to appear when in a call or audio conference.

That said I am having issues with these. From having it laggy, to fixed, to now double announcing every time I change the nc level.

Did you test this one Bose? :S 

GLC222
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

I upgraded from 1.4X to 1.7. Used the PC updater. Used google Chrome browser and updated to the latest  updater from the website first.  I had the headphones off when I connected it to the updater. Update went smoothly.

Using also latest version of the Bose Music APP.

Since updating I note:

Once headphones are turned on, no trouble connecting to them via the app.

I can connect simultaneously to iPhone and iPAD, no stutter.

I can switch between sources by pausing one and playing the other

The equalizer seems to be working.

The battery life is now announced as it should be 19 hours with full charge. On my pair of headphones it was never announced as 20 hours. Previously with firmware 1.4 it was 16 hours at full charge. Not sure if this means battery is defective and not charging fully to indicate 20 hours,  but in any event, the announcement is back to where it was. Any comments from Bose support on this would be appreciated.

No change in sound quality or noise cancellation.

So for me this seems to have corrected most of the problems. Thanks Bose for finally taking care of  these issues. Note I do not connect the headphones via Bluetooth to my Win 10 computer, but maybe if the new Bluetooth dongle becomes available, I will buy it, as that might solve alot of the connection problems others report.

I have not made any phone calls with the headphones since updating, so not sure how well this works with new Firmware.