Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.7.0 - September 14th 2020

I updated my headphones to the latest firmware, finally hoping that the long overdue stuttering with multiple connections would be fixed but it hasn't been improved even a single bit. With 2 devices connected I begin having problems extremely quickly and persistently.

Since there is not even an option to only connect to one device upon powering them on, I am forced to go into bluetooth settings and disconnect at least one device every time I decide to use the headphones.

I am extremely disappointed with the terrible SW quality of Bose products. I've had my 700 headphones since they came out (almost 1.5 years ago) and I've ALWAYS had problems. The updates are extremely slow and don't fix the most obvious stuttering problems.

I won't recommend these headphones to anyone. Good job Bose.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 23, 2020

So I made a joke about this on twitter, and Bose got in contact with me... and it's all just the same stuff, reset your headphones, re-pair your devices, blah blah blah, did nothing at all, and so they now want me to return them... which the link they gave for that is useless.

It's a freaking known issue, what is returning them gonna do?

At least the Bose app let's you go through your audio sources and remove one, but it is false advertising, the whole connecting to two devices shtick. There's lots of things these headphones do well, but it doesn't connect to multiple devices in any sort of useless way... a step backwards from even the Soundlnk mini speakers in that respect.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 24, 2020

After the firmware update:

• when the battery is full App shows between 18 h:40 min - 19 h:10 min as maximum hours of operation
  • when I check the battery life on the headphone (with touch control) headphone says 30 minutes less than the Bose App shows. For example: headphone says: 6 h 30 min but the Bose App shows 7:00 hours as operational time.
  • Sometimes the headphone just says hours of operational time without minutes
  • When the headphone connected to two devices (Iphone and PC) at the same time I can use the PC (in hands-free mode) if the phone will be disconnected --> the phone is the first device as source and no possibility to change the sequence

Firmware: 1.7.0

Bose App: 4.0.1

Headphone manufacturing date: September 2019

Phone: Iphone 8

PC: HP - Win 10

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

@Nasalhair wrote:

@TH1813254617 wrote:

@Nasalhair wrote:

Afraid my NC700s are still misbehaving after the update.  Today is the second time since the 1.7.0 update was installed that the headphones have rebooted.  I turned them on, the startup sound played and then the voice said "conne..." and cut off for a couple of seconds, there was silence, then "... to" and the name of my phone.  A few seconds later I heard a sound, like the noise cancellation was kicking in, and the headphones rebooted.  No loud beep / buzz this time, but they restarted.

Have tried resetting the headphones (hold power button, insert USB lead, light flashes twice, release power button), forcing stop on the Bose Music app and clearing cache (the app STILL usually fails to see the headphones for about the first five attempts at connecting, but my phone instantly connects to them), removing the headphones from my phone's Bluetooth devices and reconnecting, but the reboots are clearly still happening.

Phone: Google Pixel 2 running Android 11.

Headphones: Bose NC 700, black, manufactured 16 June 2019.

App: Version 4.0.1

UPDATE: Just rebooted again.  This time I was listening to music, there was a loud beep / buzz, and the headphones fully rebooted.  Bose, please fix these headphones!

What colour are your headphones, may I ask?

This firmware is a total crapshoot. On my headphones, the sound signature and the battery indicator are all fine (haven't tried multiple connections yet), they also don't stutter. However, I can't use them because of the reboots! The only reason I can think of for such seemingly random behaviors on this firmware update is that there are secretly multiple different variants of the NC 700, each with slightly different chips (or maybe the "same" chips manufactured by different foundries). Once you start adding stuff to your firmware, issues start arising due to compatibility issues on different chips. Or maybe the processor on the NC 700 is just underpowered for its intended purpose. It could even be a lack of memory, who knows? I don't think even Bose knows what the issue is.

Both of mine are black, btw.

Mama, just killed a... BBZZZZZZZTT....

Reboot! 

Says in my post if you look, four lines above your question, as well as the date of manufacture.

Whoops, don't know how I missed that.

It seems that the great majority of the ones talking about this issue have black headphones. I don't know whether that is due to black being the most popular option (is it, even?), confirmation bias, or simply this issue disproportionately affecting black headphones for some reason.

This reboot issue makes the headphones nigh unusable. Also, we've got nothing but radio silence from Bose regarding the problem.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

BTW, the firmware I have is "1.7.0-10068+f3675e6".

What does the string after the firmware number mean? Do you all have the same string?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 24, 2020

I just updated it today then charged it.. after full charged it says full charged and checked apps then... 19 hours 30 minutes shown in apps! Hope in next update it will be 20+ hours again!! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 15, 2020

My NC700 were bricked in June (the red/white error), after a lot of issues trying to get them replaced (delays due to covd-19), I just found this update, and it went smooth and unbricked the headphones (fixed red/white error)

happy with my NC700

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 21, 2020

Its not string it is a hex number. Possibly the build number

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2020

Is there a way to AVOID the auto update of the firmware in the Bose Music app?

I gave Bose one more try because I really love these headphones and went and bought today the new Triple Midnight and the Bose music app did the update to 1,7 and I couldn't stop it.

Now they are unusable because of the constant rebooting. They can't connect to my Note 10+.

Exchanging them tomorrow. But first I want to know if there a way to AVOID the auto update of the firmware in the Bose Music app?

I liked 1.3 version in my previous Black 700, which I returned for the exact same reason, 1.7 damaged the headphones.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 22, 2020

Hello cgg074,

I fixed the problem with uninstallation of all Bose application... waiting for positive news about a real high quality release of firmware without so  much regression..

Hope waiting not during a long Time....