Daring48
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 4, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.7.0 - September 14th 2020

@Keith_L Hi Keith, as I posted, updating to 1.7 from 1.3.1 has introduced stuttering issues in my headset. Any specific solution for this issue. I have tried resetting and cleared pairing.

Dima0
Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2020

@Keith_L 

Hi Keith,

I'm one of those suckers with MB Pro. At first, after update, it was working flawlessly - switching between sources was fast, sound quality great. But now things got bad:

• The only way I can listen to phone is if I disconnect laptop
  • If I connect laptop - app shows phone still active, but no sound, although music is playing.
  • When I play music on laptop - it's mono and quality is awful. 
  • I always had got notifications off (annnnnnooooying)... However, when I press ANC button, it would tell me the level I switched to. Now - in order to know what level I'm on, I either need to pause music and cycle through, or turn on notifications (not happening).

I'm on Catalina. Version: 10.15.6 (19G2021). MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

This is my work laptop and I have to attend numerous conferences of all kinds - Zoom, Webex, MS Teams, you name it... This is why I bought these headphones - for work. Before update - ppl were complaining they can't hear me. Now - I don't know what to expect tomorrow...

Let me know if there's workaround, pls...

P.S. Not aiming at you, Keith, but... Did Bose outsource R&D? Bad move... What's up with inability to bypass BT for conferencing altogether - either via USB or 3.5mm cable? How's that a challenge? Same applies to QA - tell 'em to bring it back from Bumblefudjistan. Sleep buds was great product, when it worked. Bad QA killed it... I really hope 700 survives... SMH...

UPDATE:

I decided to reboot the laptop and see what happens. Guess what - I didn't have to. I killed Chrome and everything went back to normal. I reloaded Chrome, restored all tabs and power cycled headphones. Problem partially returned - music from laptop would play mono for few seconds and then switch to normal. I don't know which tab causes that, but at least I know how to fix it...

gavtan
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 6, 2020

My issue isn't resolved, on 1.7.0 charging full still maxes out only at 16 hours.

rbaraiya
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 3, 2019

This update did not fix the issue with battery announcements. I am still getting only 16 hrs announcement after charging it to full. Inside the app, I can only see 16 hrs 48 mins. So, the issue is not resolved. 

mcullum
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

Initial Impressions
These are my impressions following the update from 1.3 to 1.7. Spoiler alert: I'm not happy.

Battery Life 0/5

Before the update I had 4 hours remaining. After the update it just says "Battery low". This is after restarting the headphones several times and reseting bluetooth on my phone.

Multi Device Connection 0/5

I have the exact same issues others have complained about: I'm unable to switch the "active" device simply by playing/pausing music. I have to disconnect one device to play on the other, and vice versa.

I have a Macbook Pro and iPhone, both on the latest available OS versions (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 and IOS 13.5). I'm using the iPhone Xs Max if that's useful info for the dev team.

Stuttering 5/5

On the bright side, stuttering appears to be fixed... Yay, I guess? 🤔

Overall Conclusion

Bose, you make me want to cry. I bought these headphones hoping to buy the best of the best. As someone with very bad ADHD I rely on these 'phones in order to get through a workday. My family relies on me getting through the workday to put food on the table. These headphones really aren't a toy to me, they're a critical tool that I use in lieu of ADHD medication.

I myself am a software engineer. I get it, software is hard, versioning is hard, bugs are always going to exist, blah blah blah. With that said, is your QA team completely out to lunch? The dev team too? I mean, any of your engineers, project managers, QA engineers, or any of the number of employee responsible for signing off on software releases should have been able to discover the issues that the community are being forced to discover long before they made it out into the wild. For a company with the resources that Bose has it's frankly embarrassing that you can't seem to get things right that are so fundamental to the basic user experience.

It's beyond frustrating because really the hardware on these headphones is nothing short of amazing. The sound quality is top notch, the battery life is excellent, the build quality is excellent, clearly the hardware team knows how to do their job. It's such a shame that the software team has to come in and effectively turn these things into a paperweight. (As someone affected by the 1.5 -> 1.7 bricking issue, I do not use the term "paperweight" loosely).

Bose, please, get a new software team working on these or otherwise do something about the problem. These software issues are entirely unacceptable. I love these headphones, I do not want a pair of Sonys, I bought Bose because I want Bose (and I know many others feel the same). All we're asking is that you get the software right. You'd have a lot of very happy customers if you could get an update out by Christmas (or sooner) which fixes all these problems once and for all. I really can't imagine that's asking too much.

Alright, I need to go plug in my headphones now. They died halfway through writing this review. Irony at its best...

MavXD
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 20, 2020

Same for me when connecting to more than one device after this update. They start to reboot and cycle on and off.

audiohound
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

I made an account here after installing 1.7.0 this morning, on top of 1.3.1. NC700 bought less than a month ago. I've owned NC700's previously (they were OK, early firmware), as well as QC35 I and II. Powerbeats Pro and AirPods Pro also on the desk. Yes, I'm a heavy user/listener.

Audio drops with two devices connected have indeed increased with this update. I've got 3 devices, and the audio drops perhaps once a minute or two on all of them. It sounds like an old bad cable, when it's almost broken and you wiggle it the wrong way. (That's an analogy, I'm using BT obviously.)

iPhone XS iOS 14.0 GM

iPad Pro 2018 iOS 14.0 GM

Macbook Pro 16", Big Sur latest beta

This is almost certainly not beta-related, because the behavior changed right after the FW update this morning, and iOS 14 isn't even beta since yesterday. I've got the developer GM version released last night. Audio was OK last night after that - but before FW 1.7.0.

The drops are quite distracting, it stops the flow of the music. And the whole point of music is to get into the "zone" while focusing on work. If it happened once an hour it's OK, but once a minute or two, that's almost worse than no music at all.

I'll study for ways to downgrade, or might execute my option for a 30-day return. Like the previous author wrote, software quality is consistently poor on these headphones. Which is a shame, since the hardware is brilliant, and the EQ was much desired. I should have left the headphones to stock firmware.

For what it's worth, once I manually disconnect the second device, then the audio drops become much less frequent. And when I manually reconnect the second device, the audio drops come back within the next few seconds. Just tried this, and 4 drops within the first minute. Gotta disconnect it now.

audiohound
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

Update the previous post: Turns out that https://btu.bose.com/ says my headphones are up to date and doesn't provide a method to downgrade. Now that's a bummer.

Word of warning: If you like your dual connectivity and haven't updated the firmware yet: Don't update, it's a trap.

I'll keep following this forum for a while. If no improvement or a downgrade option soon, then I've got to return these.

audiohound
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

Another update. I tried resetting the headphones: 1) Hold Power, 2) Connect USB-C, 3) Wait for the blinking blue.

Result: No blue blink and now the headphones don't even turn on anymore. That was another trap, even worse than the previous. 🙈

Repeating the process doesn't seem to change the situation. They're now ded.

madbooba
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

@audiohound,

See, the problem is that the reset function is not working for 700s headphones, and never worked.
Many users, including me, have tried to explain it to the moderators here, but unfortunately to no avail.
For some unknown reason they are not listening to what the users saying.
The worst is we all know it's a fake, and there is no reset option for 700s, but they keep telling everyone to do it.
I wonder if any of the Bose moderators have ever had these headphones in their hands.

Dear Bose Team,

If you say the reset option works for NC 700 headphones, please make a tutorial video, and show us step by step how is it working for you, because it's not working for non of us.

Yours sincerely

Customer