Contributor
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.8.2 – November 19th 2020

This update is perfect, resolved all software/firmware issues I was having:
* Stuttering when connected to two devices

* Random bluetooth disconnects / shutdowns

* Issues with App pairing

Manufacture date of this headset is December 3ᴿᴰ, 2019.

This is my 3ᴿᴰ headset though after it was replaced twice (first was bricked with May's update and the second started having muffling noice in the left ear after 2 weeks of use)

Participant
Registered since

Nov 16, 2020

Yay, firmware update (I though). Unfortunately still experiencing the stuttering issues after updating and even worse now it seems. 

Also experiencing another issue/bug. To reduce stuttering I disconnected the iPhone & removed the Music App so only one device (my Macbook Pro - Mac OS Big Sur v.10.01) is connected to the headphones. I use MacOS to answer incoming calls from my iPhone.. however this doesn't seems to work with the NC700 either and after hanging up (the other person can't hear anything) the device stay's in "call" mode with the tinny sound and there's no way to get back into normal mode. FYI - This works perfectly with cheap wired headphones and the Airpods Pro of course.

After losing faith I decided to put my pair on eBay, and I feel sorry for the person who will buy these headphones from me. It's unfortunate as I think the NC700 are comfy for daily use (the awkward button placements aside), but definitely not at the level that I want to let it spoil my day with frustrations. Will stick to my Airpod Pros now.

Participant
Registered since

Nov 25, 2020

So I bought my NC 700 6 months ago, initially everything was good until Bose decided to release all the fantastic buggy firmware versions. Long story short, the headset came with firmware version 1.2.11 and battery had 19 hours and multi connections device connection was working and life was good. Bose release version 1.5.1 that broke battery life. In version 1.7.0 I could no longer have multiple devices connected as the headset was constantly rebooting. One time out of five you could hear the full announcement of battery level and the two devices it was connecting to, the other times it was lagging in the announcement and 10 sec later it would reboot.

Opened up a ticket with Bose and got them replaced. New headset arrived with firmware 1.2.11 and everything work fine again, happy life. Two days later auto update kicks in and we now have version 1.8.2. Reboot problem is back when you have multiple devices and headset function does not work on the PC anymore, only stereo music output. Microsoft Teams, Skype and Discord does not detect mic, if trying to test the mic its all quiet and if I disconnect the device from pc bluetooth settings the headset reboots. Spontaneous reboots is now a common issue. These are brand new out of the box and unusable. 

Did someone forgot the Q&A the latest version?!!? Are the developers only testing this on Mac devices or something?

Bose product name

NC 700

Country

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

Nokia 6.1, Windows 10 2004

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

In the description

What environment do you experience the issue in?

Everywhere

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

From firmware version 1.5.1

Any troubleshooting steps you took

What support over phone instructed to do. Issues in version 1.5.1 patch to 1.7.0. Issues with 1.7.0 send in for replacement. Issue with 1.8.2 throw them in the bin?

Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2020

so, I've just switched from QC Earbuds (because of software/design issues) to NC700 just to dive into new problems 😐

I have fresh pair of NC700, updated firmware and I'm getting crackling and shuttering noise effects.

Especially when I have connected both phone (Pixel 4 XL) and Macbook Pro.

But crackling continues even when only one device is connected.

Firmware, app, everything is fresh and up to date.

Tried already "resetting" phones, etc.

I didn't have such problems with _any_ previous Bose products... Bose, **bleep**?!

Contributor
Registered since

Feb 9, 2020

I have the exact same problem, whilst listening to on an iPad Pro whilst also connected to an iPhone 8. The update 1.8.2 didn't solved, even after resetting after updating.

Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2020

There is the Crackling issue in PC still after this update. 😡

In the same setting, 20 $ chinese bluetooth earphone made at 2018 even work very well.

Do you know the price of NC700?

Contributor
Registered since

Nov 16, 2020

@Wayne_M 

Bose product name: Bose NC 700 Headphones

Firmware Version: 1.8.2-11524+e0f7590
App Version: 4.1.1 (checked also on 4.2.4 now - nothing changes)
What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 14.2, PC with Windows 10 (1909)

Issues:  

1. stuttering
  2. reduced battery life
  3. LED indicator always white - even when the battery is low/critical
  4. Different battery remaining times in app and claimed by headphones (UPDATE Dec 12th 2020:)

A detailed description of issue 1 and steps to reproduce

1. Connect headphones to both devices at the same time
  2. Start using PC - enter Youtube via Chrome and listen to music
  3. When switching between music videos - stuttering/crackling noise. During playback - losing sound for about a second in random moments, then going back with reduced quality for one more second, and later on playback continues in good quality until new break happens.
  4. Incoming messages that are triggering sound notifications also start with stuttering...

UPDATE Dec 12th 2020:

On windows PC stuttering also occurs when this is the only connected device. Less often but still!

A detailed description of issue 2 and steps to reproduce

1. After purchase and first charging, headphones reported 20 hours 23 minutes.
  2. After the automatic firmware update from version 1.3.1 to version 1.7.0 (the app started transferring the update immediately as I bought headphones 30.11.2020.), the battery file went down to 18 hours 50 minutes. Now it is no more than 18 hours and 40-50 minutes after full charging, despite the update to firmware 1.8.2.

A detailed description of issue 3 and steps to reproduce

1. Just discharge headphones by using them. Nothing changes until they're dead.

UPDATE Dec 12th 2020:

A detailed description of issue 4 and steps to reproduce

1. Just compare times when headphones are not fully charged. Differences are between 10 to 40 minutes...

What environment do you experience the issue in?

Everywhere

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

1. issue 1 from the day of purchase as headphones, despite I never touched the "update" button, updated automatically when I switched them off and turned on. I thought I can postpone the update but it seems I was wrong as the same thing happened again when 1.8.2 was released - just got the push notification about an update which I ignored but after the off/on cycle app started reporting updated software...
  2. issue 2 - the issue is present from the 1.7.0 update. I saw advertised 20 hours of battery life only once on software v.1.3.1. Update broke everything. Unfortunately, I measured for how long my headphones are working - it's not even close to the claimed 20 hours despite the low or medium volume and ANC not even used for all the time. My brand new one NC 700 lasts for a similar time to my 3+-year-old QC35...
  3. Never saw a red "low battery" indicator.
  4. Just noticed on 1.8.2. Not checked earlier...

What is important - the same issue doesn't appear on the second pair of Bose NC 700 I have. After the update from version 1.2.x to 1.7.0 they announced 6 hours 40 minutes of battery life. That was scary. But after reset - they went back to normal reporting 20 hours 53 minutes. I would expect the same from the one I use and bought that day, but for my pair - it doesn't help.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1. switch on and off headphones;
  2. unpair and pair headphones again;
  3. reset headphones;
  4. restart all devices;
  5. update everything to the latest versions - firmware, apps, drivers;
  6. use different Bluetooth adapters and applications.

What is important - I have two pairs of Bose NC 700:

• Black version from July 2020 I am using
  • Soapstone version from November 2019 - my wife is using

Both I bought at once for home office - 30.11.2020. Each pair behaves in a different way. My one performs worse on battery (after the update never touched the announced 20 hours of life...) and stutters. My wife's one is stopping from time to time transmitting voice during the Teams calls.

It's very sad that for paying $400 for cans I have such a terrible user experience. Where is the Bose I trusted? I see a closed thread regarding battery life despite issues are still present. Stuttering after about 1,5 years from the initial release. I expected to get rock solid, premium experience. Now I feel I bought the prototype and feel ignored.

Participant
Registered since

Nov 27, 2020

After this update, my headset wont connect to my TX adapter, is anyone experiencing the same? Have tried everything, resetting both devices, nothing worked

Participant
Registered since

Nov 27, 2020

Oh my, haven't upgraded my bose in ages as was totally happy with them for a long time.  Got these 700's and its my first experience with the Bose software ecosystem.  Wow Bose, stick to sound.  Your software is hot garbage in all aspects.

I don't care enough or have the time to list everything that is obviously terrible and poorly thought out.  But man, you guys need to fire whoever is in charge of software and apps.  Then throw all these random, independent apps away and start over with a clear vision of what you want your sw ecosystem to be when its completed.

Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 25, 2018

OK so I've 100% solved the issue on my Windows 10 PC.

It's actually something I read on my motherboard's forums. 

I basically was adding a new monitor to my system and had to move my desktop, so I unplugged the WiFi antenna:

wifi

I had to use the setup for a day whilst I waited for a longer DisplayPort cable - during this time the headphones were stuttering 90%  of the time over EVERYTHING I played on my PC.

I plugged everything back into my PC, including the WiFi antenna and the headphones had 0 stuttering at all. This morning I unplugged the WiFi adapter again and it was a stuttering mess.

During my issues I couldn't connect my headphones to the iOS app, that issue still remains, even though they are connected and I am listening to the music via my iPhone.