Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gneuh
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - 1.8.2 – November 19th 2020

@reinhardts honestly, I admire you for your patience.

Every single update from 1.3.1 has been crap. 

I wouldn't wait 10 weeks

reinhardts
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 11, 2021

@Gneuh I fear indeed that it won't change, but at least in the meantime I have something. I couldn't really find a good alternative unfortunately, so these are what they are... for now.

kvangool
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2021

I just recently "upgraded" from my old QC35II's to the NC700's and I encounter a couple of things. The QC35's had a dedicated "wind reduction" mode (aka noise cancelation low), I miss this option on my NC700's, an employee told me that noise level 3 would rival this low level, but it comes nowhere near the QC35II's. I would love if Bose would introduce this wind level on the NC700's.

A second thing that I encounter since "upgrading" the firmware is that my connection first disconnects, followed by some kind of white noise, and then reconnects, after which I need to disconnect on my phone/laptop/ipad for sound to work. The previous firmware (1.4.1) did not have this problem, and it bothers me very much.

Reading various topics on the performance of the NC700's makes me doubt if my upgrade was the correct one. It would suit Bose if they were more keen on reading these forums and actively work on proper updates that actually help the community, especially if you consider the fact that people pay hundreds of dollars/euros to acquire their products. It would also suit them if they would let us know they are working on problems, so the users feel heared, I think that is one of their biggest problems. Well that was my two cents, I hope they come with a new update soon, that actually fixes our problems.

Seamus
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

Not sure what software version I have but I am not having the same issues. I am too scared to log on to the app to find out in case it updates. Any way of finding out without updating?

Soundwaves7
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2021

I have a feeling most of them, including the lead community manager, really don't know any more then any of us that read through this forum. Not sure if they are purposely ignoring us or if they're being told by Bose to not comment on any of the same issues that come up. One thing is for sure, they sure aren't "walking-the-walk" when it comes to customer support....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that the messages hinting at doubts whether it's voluntary from Bose to simply make as if the problem does not exist have disappeared.

Way to go, Bose, way to go to improve the trust 😒

madbooba
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

For God's sake Bose, fix the software! What's wrong with you guys?
This stupid stuttering when connected to two devices drives me crazy.

What do you need to do it right? Seriously. Need a help with software?
Give us the source code, and I guarantee you that in two weeks it will be fixed...

eek...I hope you will not ban me for this post..again...

anand.nandanan
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 1, 2020

I've personally given up hope that a new FW release will fix the stuttering issue and generally lost faith in Bose. Mind you I used my trusty QC35s for ~4 years and held Bose in very high regard up until I got my 700s, so it's a bit of a shame.

I jumped ship to the Sony WH1000XM4s last week, and it's such a relief to have multi-point bluetooth work flawlessly. Whilst the microphone quality isn't as good as the Bose 700s, I'm not too fussed since my primary use-case is media consumption anyway. The better ANC on the WH1000XM4s more than makes up for the not-so-great mic.

For now, my Bose 700s are going into deep storage and will come back out if/when there's ever a FW fix that actually works. I would sell the headphones, but I doubt the next person that gets them would be happy either, so I'd much rather save them (and myself) the hassle.

Gneuh
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2020

I have to say, regardless of my own problems with the updates, I took a bit of time to read other threads on this forum...

and I am genuinely taken aback by the obvious lack of test and/or common sense shown by Bose in its development and evolution of developped products.

To sum up taking concrete examples:

With lower firmware versions (e.g. 1.1.4), I discovered that a "feature" of the NC700 was to have a motion detection, overriding the activity auto-off , and switching off the headphones after 10 minutes without movement.

The feature in itself is OK, to save power if you forget to switch off, but was forced (one could not remove it) people also use the headphones for naps in air travel.

After the people complained, the timing was changed to 1 hour.

Of course, this was no solution. Only after the next firmware update, and update of the app, one could remove this feature (but it took months and months).

But then the updates went on, and generating in parallel stuttering issues, BT connecting issues, and (I am still convinced thereof), worsening of ANC from 1.7.0 onwards.

This leads me to conclude that :

1. Bose Marketing knows better than the customers what the customer wants, and force them to like it.

2 There are hardly beta testing, field testing, etc.

I was really stunned to figured this out.

Concerning 1., Bose, you should know it's never a good idea to pretend to know better what the customer want if he cannot chose ultimately. You have a marketing department, right? They should know better.

Concerning 2., this cannot be understood from a major company, especially for products that pretend to be on the premium market. This does NOT give a good impression, you know. You simply issued update and "we'll see live".

As a corollary, 3. the time frame for Bose to acknowledge the problems (and still, some are not yet), and then come with a meaningful solution conveys the impression, daily confirmed, that Bose simply tries to ignore the complaint, playing the three wise monkeys, and trying to cloud the issues with replacement and/or "resets" until the customers get bored to request solutions.

EDIT: oh, and by the way, preventing downgrade without sound explanation is simply reinforcing this.

@bose , really, you should clean your act and provide products which meet the standards you pretend to have.

Transmit it to your management.

EDIT 2: and actually, one wonders if our remarks/complaints here are at all transmitted to development/product management, or if they are simply buffered here. 

madbooba
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Well done @Gneuh .

The problem with Bose is that that everyone must love their products and admire everything they do IMO. Especially here, and don't be too expressive - otherwise you will get banned.

I think they assume that if you bought their product, you should thank them every day, and for the rest of your life.
In any moment, and without your permission, they can break your $ 400 headphones with bad software without any responsibility.

I'm furious with those stupid headphones and that I was fooled.

Bose NC 700 are not as advertised, and never will. Unfortunately is too late to return them for me, but I will never buy anything of this brand again.