Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum to comment on the matter. I purchased mine last year in March from Amazon UK. Knowing the Bose QCII fiasco about the noise cancelling issues after updating, I decided not to update my 700's since I took them out of the box, same goes for my QC earbuds, no updates at all.
However, I just experienced this situation yesterday (Feb 02 2021) just after I updated my computer to the latest firmware (a Mac mini 2018 - macOS 11.2 Big Sur). Normally, I have them connected to my phone, a Pixel 5, and the computer at the same time. Before the Pixel 5, I have them connected to a Pixel 2. But yesterday morning I turned my headphones on and then a loud noise came out from both ear-cups, just after the voice prompt announcing the battery, so I decided to turn them off after they restarted automatically and perform a reset, the one where you plug it and hold the bluetooth button for like 2 secs or so, nothing happened and I could not turn them on for like 5 min, then after me pressing the ON button for a while, they decided to start again with the usual voice prompt, but this time just after announcing that it was connected to both my devices, the buzzing noise came again and restarted the headphones.
So I turned them off again, and waited a couple of minutes, maybe 3-4 mins, turned them on and the usual voice prompt announcing the battery and the connected devices without any issue at all. I spent around 8 to 9 hours with them on and no issue whatsoever.
But the again the same thing happened today, like 30 min ago, just after me using them for like 1.5 hours I took my dog for a small walk so I turned them off and came back after like 10-15 min and turned them on and just before the voice prompt announced the battery level, the same buzzing but this time just from the left ear-cup in a very low volume, audible enough to be honest. So again I did the same, turned off and on without any issues at all as I am using them right now while typing this.
To be honest, I have no idea what is the problem with them, as yes it is scary that this is happening and yes, I do not want to send them back under warranty and get a new pair which would potentially have more issues. So after running some test turning them on and off several times there is no issue at all, at least right now. The only thing that I noticed is that the computer did a weird noise, like a notification sound but distorted the same day after I updated the computer and stopped the every bluetooth device from working (keyboard, trackpad and headphones) for like 5-6 min. After that I carried on until yesterday when the buzzing started.
I know that this is an ongoing situation, but hopefully someone has a clue of what is happening as I am running the factory firmware without updating or opening the app while connected to the headphones, other than naming my device and set some configurations like 'voice level when calling' but I did this with my phone on airplane mode and just the bluetooth on to prevent any update from downloading.
Here are some extra details just in case if someone is interested and find it helpful somehow. Also, I should mentioned that I have never had any problems at all since I got them and I take care a lot of care for my stuff, and I only dropped them once back in October 2020.
- Bose product model - Bose 700 headphones black
- Bose product firmware version - Version 1.2.11
- Bose app version - Just installed for registration and config, with airplane mode and bluetooth on
- A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce - Read all my post for more details
- What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? - Pixel 5 latest update since October 2021 (Android 11 with January 2021 security update) and before a Pixel 2 from the day of purchase until August 2020 (Android 10 with July security Update) and a Mac mac mini 2018 (macOS 11.2 Big Sur which I believe has something to do with the issue but I do not have any proof)
- When did you start to experience the issue? - Feb 03 2021 ----- Did it work correctly previously? Read my post for more details
- Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any. ----- Just the reset steps yesterday, but read my post for more details.