Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

I just had the mobile app push the most recent firmware and I'm now having the same issues. I've had several times that a song will just cut to a loud buzzing before the headphones reboot. I've had multiple 'crashes' where it just reboots. Also the startup voice tends to get cut off a lot now. Again, no issues with the previous build I would be happy to downgrade. I would say just take the last build, update the rev and push that while the new issues are resolved. This has been a solid pair of headphones to date and I've been putting a lot of hours on them. (I've been rolling to my old QC 15s when forced to charge) It would be great if there was a quick response to this as it seems to be a common issue. I will note that they seem _more_ stable if only connected to one device at a time. I've been turning off the BT on my phone and just using the BT on the MacBook Pro. 

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

I have the exact same issue. I was sent a brand new pair from Bose and as soon as I setup my new set, they updated and started doing it again. Super disappointing.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

a lot of people are experiencing this problem. My original set was replaced by Bose for this issue. My brand new set now does it too. Please fix the firmware!

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

I'm having the exact same issue. My original set was replaced by Bose and as soon as the app pushed the firmware update on my brand-new set, it started doing it too.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 26, 2020

Got the same issue. Returned it and got a new one. After a day of use, the same problem is occurring again. It's certainly a software issue.

Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

I sent the headphones to Bose for replacement. The new one shipped with firmware 1.1.4 and were manufactured in September 2019 (my previous pair were made in May 2019), I think. I can't double-check since I uninstalled the Bose Music app so it won't push the latest firmware to the headphones and ruin them for me. 1.3.x worked the best for me, but I can't update to that.

Why, Bose? Fix your firmware!

If you cannot get your headphone replaced somehow, a possible temporary workaround that I and another person on this thread found is to turn Bluetooth off on all devices paired with the headphones, let them startup properly (I think quickly rebooting the headphones before they play any voice prompts makes the workaround more reliable, but I cannot test that), then turn on Bluetooth on the device you want to connect and let them connect. This significantly reduces the chance of the headphone getting into a boot loop.

Also, as long as you don't connect a device via Bluetooth, this issue doesn't seem to occur. Since plugging in the headphone jack disables Bluetooth, using the headphones wired is 100% stable.

I miss my QC25s, the inline microphone was not up to scratch, but at least they always worked with none of this firmware update nonsense. Also, methinks swapping batteries is way more convenient and quicker than charging the device. Just get a couple of good rechargeable AAAs (good NiMH cells like Eneloops and IKEA Laddas last longer than alkaline cells per charge anyways) and you're good.

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 26, 2020

Paid 350€ for this while I could have just gone with something with a third of the price, because I'm expecting Bose to give a premium experience. It's one thing to get cut off in the middle of listening to a song, it's another thing to not being able to rely on your headphone for important calls.

My patience is running thin. I had mine replaced and getting the same issue after firmware update. If this doesn't get fixed soon, I'll fight for a refund. There are other high end headphones out there, I've been with Bose for the past 5 years but this might be an opportunity to look elsewhere.

Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2020

Got the same problem here.

@bose engineers: 

The problem appeared after resetting the Bluetooth config on the headset and my Macbook after I had problems connecting to my Macbook.

Seems like the buzz produced itself every time a device paired  to the headset before the reset tried to connect (eg every 10-30 secs when my iPad was on)

"Forgetting" the Bose headset from all previously connected devices fixed the problem.

Will probably return the headset anyway. The hardware is good but the software sucks.

Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

@bose, I realize that your Engineering team is investigating the red/white LED flashing/unable to power on issue and the 1.4.12 FW has been yanked.

Can you please confirm whether Engineering is continuing to investigate this unintended reboot issue as well and might include a fix in a FW update? I'd hate to see an update be released and this issue to have been ignored and continue to go unresolved.

What are the chances of Bose reposting the previous FW version and allowing customers to revert to it using an authorized downgrade procedure should this issue continue unresolved for a lengthy period of time? It's still quite annoying and unacceptable to be dealing with this every time I use these headphones. 

Participant
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

After trying to reset my bose 700, it does not come back ON. i was having the buzz sound and reboot as well hence tried to follow the steps suggested by the Bose support. Any idea for me as the device is not coming back up?

Best regards,

Burak.