Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

I'm trying to do the same... This is ridiculous... 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 27, 2020

PLEASE READ: I called Bose and talked to a supervisor. I explained that I haven't been able to connect my headphones to my devices in over 7 months without them rebooting. They claimed that they haven't even heard about this issue, so I told them about this exact thread (which has over 17 pages of people complaining), and how the admins have been aware of this issue for a very long time. They let me return my headphones even though their policy says it must be within 30 days. I STRONGLY urge everyone who is having this problem to call Bose and do what I did. Ask for a supervisor, give them as much info as possible, and ask them to make a one-time exception for a return. They will ask you for proof of purchase, so make sure you have your receipt. They said they will be mailing me a cheque in 4-6 weeks (which is way too long, but better late than never). I'm done with Bose, and I'll be using the money to get the XM4's. I hope you all do the same.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

@rohs249 

That is interesting because when I called last month after the 1.5 firmware release, they were very much aware of the issue. They even gave me a workaround and told me there was a fix coming in an upcoming update. They just wanted to fix the red/white blinking light issue first. So there is definitely miscommunication somewhere. 

I've already requested another warranty replacement as the boot loop got so bad I couldn't even use my set anymore. Once I get my new pair and if this happens again, I am going to try your route. I can't believe I spent so much money and time on Bose. AND I was contemplating their new sleepbuds.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 30, 2020

Just purchased my 700 a week and a half ago.  Buzz/reboot started Monday and has gotten worst, (3 reboots in 20 minutes) so I found this thread. 

Tried calling support but was on hold for 45 minutes and hit the 9:00 pm closing.  I have 4 more days to bring them back to Best Buy and contemplating doing that so I am stuck with them and need to deal with support & returning them.  Had to do that twice for my QC30 for delamination issues.

Disappointed with Bose and spending nearly $400 for a product that is very annoying on top of the issues I had with my QC30.

@bose - Can you give me a good reason to not return these and take the risk that you will be able to resolve it correctly (no work arounds) for a problem that has been around for nearly a year, according to the dates on this thread?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 2, 2020

I just updated to the latest firmware 1.7.0 completely unaware of this issue. I'm not sure what firmware version I had before updating to 1.7.0. As soon as I updated to the new firmware I started having the buzzing sound before rebooting. 

I have already tried contacting Bose through Whatsapp for support without much luck. They only gave me a few troubleshooting steps before they stopped replying to my messages.

With a complete lack of support from Bose I turned to the forums to find that dozens of others have been struggling with the same issue.

• Bose product model - Bose NC 700 Headphones (Manufactured 15 July 2019)
  • Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible) - 1.7.0-10068+f3675e6
  • Bose app version (screenshot if possible) - 4.1.1
  • A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce - Similar to other stories. Connected to both Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Avantree DG80 adaptor for my computer. Doesn't seem to matter if I am connected to one device or two. After 5-10min of using the headphones I get a loud buzzing sound before rebooting.
  • Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? - As above. After installing firmware 1.7.0.
  • What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) - Galaxy S8+ on Android version 9.
  • When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? - As above. Yes.
  • Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any - Deleting all connection profiles on headphones and re-pairing. Checking latest firmware using the btu.bose.com method. Updating to latest Bose app version. Resetting the headphones with the cable method. No improvement.

If I haven't had a response from Bose by the end of the day I will return the headphones to JB HiFi where I purchased them in NZ and ask for a replacement. I will update with results on this forum.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 26, 2020

Commenting on all their social media posts usually helps better. Companies like Bose care way more about their image than their customer. They want to portray themselves as high end premium product, while the reality is a 50€ headphone is doing a much better job than the 700ANC crap. If all who read and interact in this thread start pointing out on their twitter/facebook/youtube/Instagram ads, how much Bose ignore customer issues, and tell people to stay far away from their products, they'll finally start to listen.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

I have the same issue with my headphones, though it would only do this buzz/reboot connected to my phone (Galaxy S9+).  I use the phone to listen to music, so in stereo mode.  I also connect to my Windows 10 PC for meetings, so in handsfree mono mode.  Had no problems at all using it this way with the PC.  Could run it all day.  No buzz/reboots or stutters.  Was excellent.  But as soon connected to my phone, regardless of playing music, the buzz/reboot would occur.  Doing all the recommended (and unrecommended) fixes did not stop the buzz/reboot.  And the buzz/reboot would happen every 2-5 minutes so it became unusable with my phone.

I only just got the headphones (about 3 weeks ago - on the 11th of Sep).  No idea what firmware they were on out of the box as they did a firmware update as soon as I connected to the Bose Music app for the first time.  I believe it updated to firmware 1.5.1 as this update occurred before firmware 1.7.0 was out (on the 14th of Sept).  So I had them for a couple of days on firmware 1.5.1.  I think it did the buzz/reboot but since they were new I just ignored it and I am pretty sure it only occurred infrequently - probably maybe a couple of times an hour? 

Anyway the headphones upgraded to 1.7.0 only a few days later and they became unusable with my phone.  No problems with the Windows 10 pc - though only used for conference calls, so maybe stereo  music might have been an issue?.  Absolutely nothing will fix the buzz/reboot when connected to the phone.  Trolled every forum for a fix.  Nothing will work - the reboot with the cable, the deleting bluetooth pairings, re-pairing, re-installing the app, clearing bluetooth storage data/cache on phone, waiting for headphones to start and then start bluetooth on phone, clicking your heels 3 times, sacrificing to the gods.  Absolutely nothing!!!!!

It appears that this buzz/reboot problem occurred after 1.4.1 firmware upgrade an onwards.  None of the new versions fixed it.  Though you will see nothing from Bose acknowledging the problem. 

All I can say is to get a pair of Bose with firmware 1.3.1.  Return them as usable (because they are) if you can and when you get a new pair do not use the Bose app with your device connected to the internet (so it won't automatically update to the latest firmware which will break it).  There should be post about how to avoid the firmware upgrade.  And I can't mention how my headphones were 1.7.0. but are now 1.3.1 - Bose will remove my post as it violates their Community Guidelines and Terms of Use.  So I strongly do not recommend the unsupported firmware downgrade.

With firmware 1.3.1, you will lose the EQ and the connectivity to devices isn't as stable (as 1.7.0) - you will get the occasional stutter.  But this isn't too bad - still not great for a AU$500 pair of headphones.  When the headphones were not doing the buzz/reboot on firmware 1.7.0 the connection to the phone and laptop was great (better than 1.3.1).  Also I believe the ANC is better. 

But the buzz/reboot drove me insane - being in a meeting and you are halfway saying something or miss out on hearing something important.  The worse is when you are going to bed and want to listen to some music.  You quietly drift off to sleep with some music and BUZZZZ!!!!!, reboot and that stupid orchestral music plays at a 100 decibels.  You fully wake up thinking someone is robbing your house - nope just you $500 headphones.  Almost threw them against the wall out of frustration.

I believe the firmware is just rubbish.  Just waiting for Bose to actually fix it before attempting to upgrade them.  Bose doesn't even acknowledge the buzz/reboot even though there are hundreds of people complaining about it in their own forums. 

I actually did downgrade to firmware 1.5.1 (DEFINITELY DO NOT DO THIS AS FIRMWARE DOWNGRADING IS NOT SUPPORTED) and they also did the buzz/reboot.  Went back to 1.3.1 - AGAIN, DEFINITELY DO NOT DO THIS AS FIRMWARE DOWNGRADING IS NOT SUPPORTED! 

I have just bought the Sony wh-1000xm4 and they are fantastic (currently connected to my phone and pc at the same time with no issue).  I have given the Bose to the wife.  I know that seems like cruel and unusual punishment but she only uses the headphones for meetings on her WIndows 10 PC, and for that they are great. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

got Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

My replacement unit arrived yesterday. It was a silver unit manufactured on November 21, 2019.

I upgraded to 1.7.0 using Bose Updater before paring my device, and it went into a boot loop during the paring process, requiring 3-4 attempts before it actually paired.

Oh boy, are we off to a wonderful start.

After getting my settings dialed in and uninstalling Bose Music, so far it has been... very usable?! It only reboots ONCE once every time I connect it to my phone now, which is a substantial improvement over my previous units. The battery indicator actually works (which was not the case in my previous unit)?

Why is this firmware so much better-behaved on this unit? Are the firmware issues somewhat hardware-related?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

Re: got Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

@bose , I started this topic back in May of this year. It's now been 5 months and the issue still persists with no acknowledgement from Bose that it is being investigated. This is shameful and unacceptable. 

For those suffering with this Priority 1 firmware defect my only recommendation is to RMA your headphones. When replacements are received DO NOT use the Bose Music app as it will update the firmware without your consent and you'll be back in the same predicament. I even more strongly suggest removing the app entirely. 

For the time being I at least have a set of functional headphones and I don't care what FW version they are running (probably 1.3.x), but they're operational. 

Bose,  when do you plan on providing an update on your progress in resolving this firmware defect? Your customers should not have to endure this problem without any feedback from your support and engineering teams. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2017

Re: got Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

Hi, folks, just want to chime in with my experience. Like all of you I too am suffering the buzzing disconnects and had put the phones away for about two months. Today giving them another try I see there was a 1.7 firmware update (was still running the 1.3 update), so I do did the update and so far, though it's been about 30 minutes running.... no buzz disconnects (yet).  Usually got the disconnects around 20 in and they usually happen 2 or 3 times before I put the phones away.

Anyway,  XX-hoping-XX my issue is solved otherwise these will become expensive paperweights with less than 12 months use. BTW, the warranty just ran out Sep 30, 2020, so if Bose (updated firmware) doesn't fix these, that's $400 bucks down the toilet... 😞