Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 12, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

I just experimented this issue today, I cant believe this has been going on for so long. How can BOSE expect current customers to pretend to buy another headset from them, we all seen the reviews and SONY its possibly delivering a better product regarding Noice Cancelling headphones. So you're not the only ones in the market anymore.

This should be #1 priority and I really thought with this brand I should not have any kind of issue but yet again with my previous QC 25 with a bad speaker which stopped working after 2 years, my QC 35 no issue had them for less than 1 yr, and QC 35II no issue but now another issue with a newer "Better" product? I regret paying $50 more for this ... If this does not get fixed I will be switching and not looking back...

Hope someone from Bose gets in touch my current situation is that I'm stuck in South America (COVID-19) and my headset was purchased in the States last year (<1 year ago)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

@Tegan_M , thank you for your prompt reply. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi all,

While we are still actively investigating the issues described in this thread, our engineering team would like additional information. At present, we have the following questions, and would be grateful to know additional information should you be experiencing these symptoms.

• Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?
  • Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?
  • How frequently do you experience this?
  • Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?

We would also like to know detailed and specific step by step actions that you take that cause the issue, including headset firmware version, and phone/tablet operating systems. 

If you've not previously joined the discussion within this thread, please be sure to also include the required information in our post HERE. We look forward to hearing back.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

@Andy_B 
I've sold my device months ago as Bose failed to fulfill the promised global warranty but I'm sharing what I've experienced before I sold my unit.

Daily. For me, it was every time the headphone was turned on (like if the device was turned off for over 10m, the next time I turn on the device, it would reboot with a loud buzz)

• Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?
    Connected to one device and paired with multiple devices 
    As many times as I turned on the device. It was unpredictable and unusable. 
  • Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?
    No. I tried with Oneplus 6t, Iphone 6, Samsung s20 plus, PC with Intel 9260 chipset, PC with AX200 chipset, and experienced with all the devices. 

• We would also like to know detailed and specific step by step actions that you take that cause the issue, including headset firmware version, and phone/tablet operating systems. 
    The problem was experienced in 1.4.12 and the previous version. 
    I tried on the latest IOS version and Android 10 (Oxygen OS 10.3.x and Samsung  march update)PC has always been windows 10 (2004) but I could be wrong.  
  • As I tried to repair/clear the paring list and repair/deleting the app/re-installing the app/ disconnecting from devices and connecting to a clean device/ trying to formatted devices/ using a new pair of headset with older firmware than 1.4.12, the rebooting was happening regardless of them. 

• The Korea dept couldn't reproduce the problem over weeks and at the end refused to send a replacement because of the issue. They must have tried with the faulty device, so they SHOULD have some test results.  Although from my experience, Bose would rather ignore and straightforwardly lie to their customers. 

For the users who are reading this, I'd honestly hope you'd return your headset and never look back on Bose. I've completely lost hope on them and the community Bose is standing by. Their only promise - to give a fair and honest service no matter where you are- was broken so easily. The community still needs a place where we can get help and talk about the CS, but Bose still never will as @Anne_S has pointed out. If that's true, what can you really expect from this company? Bose and this community hide, silence and delete and posts about wrong and unfair practices, rather than trying to fix it.

Sincerely, they really don't worth your time nor a penny from you.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

So fine I'll answer these questions as well, @Andy_B . While this is for my case, I am sure some of us have experienced their own personal oddities that have the same root.

1. Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?
    • When the issue initially occurs, it will only happen after startup. At this time, it may only go through the boot cycle once more(twice total until you turn off the set and turn back on). After a while, it may boot cycle a few more times after the initial power button press (3-5+ times until you power down and back up manually). After more time, it will occur throughout the day (without manually powering down at anytime).
    • With both my headsets: After even more time, it will get stuck in the boot loop cycle that can only be broken by plugging it into a charger or computer.
  2. Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?
    • I have tested both scenarios and more with the same conclusion: the buzz/bootloop happens. I will list the devices below in the last question.
  3. How frequently do you experience this?
    • Constant. Once the buzz/bootloop happens just once, it will happen again until the frequency is with every use and for as long as the device is on.
  4. Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?
    • There was not a specific device. I tested and verified the buzz/bootloop will occur on the following devices:
      • Computers: Win (win 10 2004 x64) and Mac (Catalina 10.15.6)
      • Mobile Devices: Pixel 2 (Andriod 10), Pixel 4XL (Andriod 10), iPhone 11 Pro (13.6.1), iPad Air 2 (13.6.1)

Test Steps:

Due to the nature of the issue, replicable steps outside of normal usage are not possible. The device will buzz/bootloop once it has "naturally" occurred: with firmware 1.4.12 and have established connections, turn on device and use.

Extra Info: 
I have already had an in-warranty replacement for my headset in June. My new pair is now suffering the same issue and I have been waiting for a fix rather than replacing them once again. The issue is a part of firmware version 1.4.12 and is still present in version 1.5.2 if upgraded from ver 1.4.12. It will occur if noise-canceling was ON or OFF (set at either 10 or 5 OR at 0). My headset can no longer connect long enough to my devices to use. I cannot even connect it to the Bose Music app to update; I must use the desktop app/site to do so which is what I did for the 1.5 firmware update. I tested again and the buzz/bootloop still occurred. I contacted Customer Support to notify them this is still an issue. I was told they were aware and that an upcoming firmware (after 1.5.2) was to correct it. I was told then that they wanted to fix the red/white light issue first as it was affecting people's batteries. It seems that users who do not have this buzz/bootloop issue may have the red/white blinking light issue. I have not seen a case where a user suffered from both. Both issues do have the bad battery symptom though.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 27, 2020

1. It occurs during daily use all the time. Not just during startup

2. It happens with one device and two devices

3. Literally every time i turn on my headphones. Cant even use them

4. Using my Samsung Note 9

Im on the newest firmware. No clue what causes this. It happens every time I connect my phone to the headphones. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Shortly after startup then periodically while in use.  Every 5-30 minutes.

It happens with one or two devices connected.

Every time

No happens with everything I own.  I've tested it with a Galaxy Note 8, iPad Mini 5, and a Yealink T46G desk phone (uses a USB bluetooth adapter.)

• Bose product model

NC 700 Eclipse, DOM December 16 2019

• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)

• Bose app version (screenshot if possible)

• A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Turn on headset.  Once connected to phone wait for it to buzz and then reboot.  Start music - buzz and reboot - restart music - buzz and reboot - take a call, hangup - buzz and reboot.  Repeats ad nauseam.

• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?

Just having the headphones connected to a device.  Problems started literally as soon as the firmware update was pushed. Headset rebooted after the update then immediately got the buzz and reboot loop.

• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)

Any use whatsoever.  Even just sitting idle with nothing playing - Android 9 and ipadOS 13.1

• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Right after the update. Everything worked fine with 1.3.1 firmware.  Had no issues at all.

• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any

Removed all headphone connections in bose music app then uninstalled, cleared all bluetooth connections and pairings on device, reset headphones, and reinstalled/reconnected everything.  Did this twice on both the iPad and the Note 8.  Headphones were only connected and paired to the device I was using for testing each time.  Nothing seemed to have any effect.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

Any updates on this?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

I've also experience this issue, have been thinking it is my USB bluetooth4.0 issue. But seem everyone else have the same issue.

Here's my filled questionnaire: 

Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?
During daily use (randomly). Never on startup.

Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?
I use on Pixel4 and laptop with USB bluetooth4.0 (both connected, but stream from laptop). Usually happens with laptop with 1.5hrs into conference call. It's random timing, I have experience sometimes 15mins after reboot too. 

How frequently do you experience this?
Every day there's once or twice. Now I tried to power off after 1.5 hours of usage to reduce this occurance. Seems to help. But sometimes with long conference call > 1.5 hours the crash occurs.

Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?
on the laptop, no other bluetooth is connected. to debug this, I have a bluetooth mouse which I turn on to see if it is the problem with the USB bluetooth itself when the crash happens. Doesn't seems to be the USB bluetooth issue.

Bose product model
Bose NC 700, July 2, 2019.

Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)
FW Version: 1.5.1-9303+d287f23

Bose app version (screenshot if possible)
Pixel4 Bose Music - don't know which version. seems to be the latest version.

Windows 10 bluetooth driver version: 10.0.18362.1

A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce
Turn on the headset. use music, zoom, teams for >1.5H. sometimes it will buzz and reboots.

Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?
I've this issue since March, 2020. Was thinking it is the USB bluetooth issue. Remedy with power cycle NC 700 every 1.5H. but this issue need to be fixed (along with battery issue)

What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)
Windows 10

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?
Since Mar 2020.

Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any
see above.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

A little over a week ago, Bose asked for my headphones to be returned to Framingham for analysis. My replacement set arrived yesterday. The new set was running 1.4.1 FW, were charged to about 2 hours use. The Bose Music app ran a background task "transferring update" for a while. When complete, the headphones went through the activation process and then installed an update. 

Afterwards I let them fully charge. Upon startup I was surprised that the FW version is 1.3.1 and claiming to be up to date. I've seen a few references here in the forum about some restricted FW version. @bose, can you provide some insight?

The good news:

(1) Not a single reboot

(2) Battery life fully charged is back at 19 hours

Bad news:

(1) No equalizer in the Music app. I will note this is not a major concern for me as I've got other equalizers on my android phone.

(2) Concern about the "restricted" 1.3.1 FW. Will the headphones forever be at this version?

I consider this as a workaround, as it (a) resolves the unexpected reboot defect (b) puts battery life back to 19 hours and (c) restores the functionality of the headphones to the day of original purchase. Again, this is a workaround, not an accepted solution. I trust that Bose is still working on resolving this defect and have found my original headphones to be useful in their analysis.

@bose, can you comment on the points I've brought up in this post?

Regards