Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HChris
Contributor
Registered since

May 26, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

This is exactly my experience since Spring. My solution right now is to turn off bluetooth on my phone, then turn on headphones. As the headphones are boothing up, I then turn on the phone's bluetooth. This usually prevents it from getting stuck. Only happens on my phone (pixel 2xl).

maheffa
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 26, 2020

Did 1.7.0 firmware update just fixed it!?!

This thing has tormented me for so long, I'm scared to believe it's fixed. For the last 12 hours I haven't experienced any more issues. Turn on - Correctly say the battery level without stuttering - No restart - Few hours into listening and no loud screech then restart yet.

It even has EQ in the app now. And connection to the app is consistent.

It's gonna take a while to adjust to this reality, my expectation were lowered so much, a normal headphone feels unreal.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Just had the battery announcement stutter, pause, connect, then restarted by itself. 

dmeehl
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

They don't list this issue as fixed in the changes list, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Edit: Nope. This update does NOT fix the problem. Amazing.

dmeehl
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

I'm done with this! I demand a refund. I'm going with ANY other brand. Five months and several pairs of headphones later, and I still can't use them. Done.

davidmagun
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

I thought updates were blocked. I was happy at 1.3. Bose Music just updated my headphones to 1.7 and they don't work anymore! Let us downgrade or fix this!!!!

davidmagun
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

@Charlotte_G You guys restarted the automatic updates and now my headphones don't work. This is not ok. Let us at least downgrade to 1.3 so we can use them.

TH1813254617
Collaborator
Registered since

May 19, 2020

Welp, I'm back. my headphones got updated to 1.7 while my back was turned. Same issue as before, random reboots.

The only reprieve is that I now know two workarounds.

1: Use a wired connection, this issue only affects Bluetooth connections.

2: Prevent any devices from connecting to the headphone until you hear the prompt that the headphones are searching/connecting.whatever. Usually, the best way to do this is to turn off Bluetooth on your device before you turn on the headphones, then wait for the prompt before turning Bluetooth back on. This usually works.

I have a theory as to what the problem is. Maybe my phone connects to the headphones before they completely boot up, causing the headphones to reboot due to an error caused by incomplete bootup. By turning off Bluetooth on my device before turning on the headphones, I may be ensuring that the headphones completely boot up before connecting. The reason some people have the issue while others do not could be Bluetooth behaving differently on different devices. Some devices, like my phone, are extremely quick at connecting to Bluetooth devices, others may be slow enough for the headphones to completely boot up before connecting. As for why this issue affects 1.4 and 1.7, I don't know, maybe the new features they added screwed up the boot sequence?

Anyways, I repeat, turn off Bluetooth on your device before you turn on the headphones. Wait for the prompt before turning Bluetooth back on. This at least makes your headphones work.

Welp, nevermind, my headphones restarted on me again. Hey, at least they lasted 15 minutes.

This is such a horrible update experience.

lunchman
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

Bose, I hope your engineering team eventually realizes that paying customers are not beta testers. I'm not here to add an "I updated and the problem has not been remedied" response to this thread. Thanks to those who did and unfortunately suffered the consequences. Normally I'm an early adopter when it comes to firmware updates but this time I waited. I refuse to play the part of beta tester, I did enough of that in my career as an IT Professional. I'm not doing it as a consumer. 

FW 1.3 (which came on my replacement headphones) works perfectly fine for me. No random reboots, no stuttering, etc. To ensure that these never update I've removed the Bose Music app from my phone. The equalizer is unimportant. What is important to me as a customer is a set of noise cancelling BT headphones that work as expected. Turning off Bluetooth, plugging in cables, clearing device lists, etc. as workarounds is unacceptable. 

Please ensure that your management team is aware of and on top of the many issues these FW updates have had and/or introduced. I am completely perplexed as to how FW updates fail to solve the issues faced by your customers. 

-An unhappy Bose customer

dmeehl
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

@TH1813254617 wrote:

Prevent any devices from connecting to the headphone until you hear the prompt that the headphones are searching/connecting

Yeah, this doesnt work for me.

TH1813254617
Collaborator
Registered since

May 19, 2020

@dmeehl wrote:

@TH1813254617 wrote:

Prevent any devices from connecting to the headphone until you hear the prompt that the headphones are searching/connecting

Yeah, this doesnt work for me

Try uninstalling the Bose Music app. I've found that even if you use that workaround, once the app realizes the headphones are connected, your headphones will go into a boot loop again. After I've uninstalled the app my headphones are working with that workaround.

BTW, when was your headphone manufactured? Is it a black variant, by any chance?