Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

Update, nevermind. The work around stopped working. Worse, if I try to power down the headphones during a boot loop, they either don'y respond (like expected with this issue) or shut down with the LED stuck on white and refuse to turn on again. A reset resolves it.

This is ridiculous, another warranty replacement, I guess. How do I stop the updates? Google Assistant also offers updates. Maybe I'll get a midnight blue variant this round. Maybe a newer unit (which the new colour should guarantee) won't suffer from this issue.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

@TH1813254617 wrote:

Try uninstalling the Bose Music app.

Yep. I thought that might be the problem and uninstalled it long ago. It's currently not installed. That didnt work either though.

Mine are the black variant, yes. No idea when they were made.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

@Andy_B wrote:

Hi all,

While we are still actively investigating the issues described in this thread, our engineering team would like additional information. At present, we have the following questions, and would be grateful to know additional information should you be experiencing these symptoms.

• Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?
  • Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?
  • How frequently do you experience this?
  • Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?

We would also like to know detailed and specific step by step actions that you take that cause the issue, including headset firmware version, and phone/tablet operating systems. 

If you've not previously joined the discussion within this thread, please be sure to also include the required information in our post HERE. We look forward to hearing back.

Alright, complaining is going nowhere. Let's gather some info. Maybe we can find some pattern in the madness. If the thread on the 1.7.0 and 1.4 is anything to go by, not everyone has this issue. Is this a bad batch? Does this affect certain colour options more than others, for some reason (maybe there are multiple factories)? Are there different variants of the same firmware?

Here is my filled questionnaire, with more detailed info.

Device name (both): Tom's Bose NC700

Device model (both): Bose NC 700 Headphones (black)

Device S/N:

First pair: N/A (don't remember)

Second pair: 079616Y92520868AE

Date of manufacture:

First pair: May 2019 (can't remember which day)

Second pair: Sep 9, 2019

Connected devices: HTC U12+

Firmware version that started having the issue:

First pair: 1.4.X

Second pair: 1.7.0-10068+f3675e6 (unknown whether 1.5.1 had the same issue)

Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?

For both headphones, it mainly occurs multiple times during startup. Once they stop rebooting (can't find any rhyme or reason to the reboots stopping), the headphones only rarely reboot during daily use. On startup, once they connect to a device, they will stop responding then reboot. If there happens to be audio playing, the audio will glitch out, resulting in a loud buzz.

Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?

One device over Bluetooth. Haven't tried connecting to two devices. This issue only occurs when there is a Bluetooth connection.

How frequently do you experience this?

Almost every time I start the device, very infrequently during daily use. Once or twice the device starts fine, it is known whether this has something to do with what I did before, due to the small sample size.

Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?

I've only tried with my HTC U12+. I use wired connections with all other devices. Wired connections are fine.

Attempted troubleshooting steps & effects:

1. Turning off Bluetooth on my phone before turning on the headphones, then wait for the prompt before turning Bluetooth back on.  

Effect: seems to make things a little better, but am unsure.

2. Plugging device into a powered USB cable whilst holding down power button

Effect: Headphones still suffer from issue if powered on. Any ongoing boot loop, system hang, error will be cleared, however.

3. Turning off Bluetooth during the boot loop

Effect: The boot loop stops.

4. Turning headphones off during boot loop

Effect: Most of the times, they don't respond and continue the boot loop. Sometimes, they power off. Once or twice, they get stuck then stop responding completely, a reset (plug into charger while power button is depressed) is required.

5. Uninstalling then reinstalling Bose Music

Effect: The presence or absence of the app doesn't seem to effect the boot loop issue. The ability of Bose Music to connect to the headphones seem to be an indicator of whether the headphones are stable, though. If the app connects to the headphones, it means they are stable and won't restart for a while. If the app gets stuck on reconnecting, prepare for a reboot. It is unknown whether the app, when installed, has any effect on the reboots, are is merely an indicator.
6. RMA

Effect: Second pair of headphones came with a really old firmware. Headphones were stable out of the box. Updated to 1.3.1 and were still stable. Issue started after 1.7.0 was released. I cannot confirm whether 1.5.x was stable, since I don't know whether the headphones were ever updated to 1.5.x.

I am undergoing another RMA process. I've decided to go with a Silver pair in case the issue is somehow more prevalent on the black pair (I only see mentions of headphones having the issue being black, either the black option is the most popular, people with black headphones are more vocal about their colour choice, black headphones are more prone to this issue, or I'm seeing thing where I shouldn't).

Bbbzzzzzzzztt!

REBOOT!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 19, 2020

@TH1813254617 wrote:

@Andy_B wrote:

Hi all,

While we are still actively investigating the issues described in this thread, our engineering team would like additional information. At present, we have the following questions, and would be grateful to know additional information should you be experiencing these symptoms.

• Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?
  • Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?
  • How frequently do you experience this?
  • Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?

We would also like to know detailed and specific step by step actions that you take that cause the issue, including headset firmware version, and phone/tablet operating systems. 

If you've not previously joined the discussion within this thread, please be sure to also include the required information in our post HERE. We look forward to hearing back.

Alright, complaining is going nowhere. Let's gather some info. Maybe we can find some pattern in the madness. If the thread on the 1.7.0 and 1.4 is anything to go by, not everyone has this issue. Is this a bad batch? Does this affect certain colour options more than others, for some reason (maybe there are multiple factories)? Are there different variants of the same firmware?

Here is my filled questionnaire, with more detailed info.

Device name (both): Tom's Bose NC700

Device model (both): Bose NC 700 Headphones (black)

Device S/N:

First pair: N/A (don't remember)

Second pair: 079616Y92520868AE

Date of manufacture:

First pair: May 2019 (can't remember which day)

Second pair: Sep 9, 2019

Connected devices: HTC U12+

Firmware version that started having the issue:

First pair: 1.4.X

Second pair: 1.7.0-10068+f3675e6 (unknown whether 1.5.1 had the same issue)

Does this issue occur only during startup, or does it occur during daily use?

For both headphones, it mainly occurs multiple times during startup. Once they stop rebooting (can't find any rhyme or reason to the reboots stopping), the headphones only rarely reboot during daily use. On startup, once they connect to a device, they will stop responding then reboot. If there happens to be audio playing, the audio will glitch out, resulting in a loud buzz.

Is your headset connected to one device, or two devices, at the time of occurrence?

One device over Bluetooth. Haven't tried connecting to two devices. This issue only occurs when there is a Bluetooth connection.

How frequently do you experience this?

Almost every time I start the device, very infrequently during daily use. Once or twice the device starts fine, it is known whether this has something to do with what I did before, due to the small sample size.

Are there particular Bluetooth devices (i.e. a particular phone/tablet) that are used with the headset when this occurs?

I've only tried with my HTC U12+. I use wired connections with all other devices. Wired connections are fine.

1. Turning off Bluetooth on my phone before turning on the headphones, then wait for the prompt before turning Bluetooth back on.  

Effect: seems to make things a little better, but am unsure.

2. Plugging device into a powered USB cable whilst holding down power button

Effect: Headphones still suffer from issue if powered on. Any ongoing boot loop, system hang, error will be cleared, however.

3. Turning off Bluetooth during the boot loop

Effect: The boot loop stops.

4. Turning headphones off during boot loop

Effect: Most of the times, they don't respond and continue the boot loop. Sometimes, they power off. Once or twice, they get stuck then stop responding completely, a reset (plug into charger while power button is depressed) is required.

5. Uninstalling then reinstalling Bose Music

Effect: The presence or absence of the app doesn't seem to effect the boot loop issue. The ability of Bose Music to connect to the headphones seem to be an indicator of whether the headphones are stable, though. If the app connects to the headphones, it means they are stable and won't restart for a while. If the app gets stuck on reconnecting, prepare for a reboot. It is unknown whether the app, when installed, has any effect on the reboots, are is merely an indicator.
6. RMA

Effect: Second pair of headphones came with a really old firmware. Headphones were stable out of the box. Updated to 1.3.1 and were still stable. Issue started after 1.7.0 was released. I cannot confirm whether 1.5.x was stable, since I don't know whether the headphones were ever updated to 1.5.x.

I am undergoing another RMA process. I've decided to go with a Silver pair in case the issue is somehow more prevalent on the black pair (I only see mentions of headphones having the issue being black, either the black option is the most popular, people with black headphones are more vocal about their colour choice, black headphones are more prone to this issue, or I'm seeing thing where I shouldn't).

Bbbzzzzzzzztt!

REBOOT!

Oh, suddenly remembered a detail that may be helpful. This issue does not appear to affect freshly paired devices.

so...

7. Turned off Bluetooth on paired phone, cleared device list on headphones, repaired and connected with the phone.

Effect: The headphones paired and connected without issue, no reboots. However, after shutting off headphones and restarting them, the reboots persisted. Will test whether disconnecting and reconnected a freshly paired device without power cycling the headphones will cause the issue.

In other words, clearing the device list on your headphones (which involves holding the power/Bluetooth button until you hear the prompt) might be a viable workaround (don't get your hopes up, your headphones may still inexplicably reboot a few minutes later...). Also, the engineering team and warranty department may not be able to replicate this issue if they simply get a pair of headphones and pair them with a device to test. Also, given the random-ish nature of this issue (I've had it connect then reboot continuously quite a few times, connect then reboot once or twice a few minutes later, connect then reboot precisely once a full 15 minutes later, or simply connect then not reboot at all, all seemingly without rhyme or reason), it may be very difficult to replicate reliably. 

These headphones must have grown sentient and just want consumers to suffer. Sometimes they lure you into a false sense of security by seeming inexplicably fine, you start playing music then suddenly BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZTTTT. I've grown fearful of my headphones and now don't try to play music with them unless they stop rebooting for 5 minutes

The most interesting thing about this issue is that some people never have this issue, some do and never got it after an RMA, some do and RMAs do not fix it.

For the time being, I'll keep RMAing my headphones every time this issue crops up until Bose actually addresses the issue. They'll get annoyed enough if we all do that, eventually. For me at least, due to the lock down I don't absolutely need these, any other headphone would suffice.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

@TH1813254617 wrote:

Oh, suddenly remembered a detail that may be helpful. This issue does not appear to affect freshly paired devices.

In other words, clearing the device list on your headphones (which involves holding the power/Bluetooth button until you hear the prompt) might be a viable workaround (don't get your hopes up, your headphones may still inexplicably reboot a few minutes later...).

Not for me. I've tried clearing/resetting many times. The result is that the headphones may do the buzz/reboot immediately or they might work for an hour first. Ive tried doing this with the Bose app installed, without it installed, removing the bose app later. Ive tried letting the bose app do the pairing, or letting the phone do the pairing. Nothing has worked.

I have a Note 9. Also this is my 2nd Note 9 and the problem happened on both.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

I've had it happen on a note 10+ and a note 20 Ultra...

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 27, 2020

Still having this issue on my Note 9. Garbage headphones. It's been over 7 months. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

Re: does the color of the headphones matter?

I don't think so. Mine are Soapstone (white). They shipped with 1.3.x FW. The buzz/reboot problem started with the 1.4.x FW, continued with the 1.5.x FW. I RMA'd my headphones, the replacements are at 1.3.x. No buzz/reboot, battery life is 19+ hours. These headphones work acceptably. To prevent an unwanted FW upgrade I have removed the Music app from my android phone. I also do not have Google Assistant installed. 

@bose, you asked us to sign up for a mailing list re: FW update availability. Was that list ever used? I never received email from Bose. The reason I ask is 1.7 was released, resulting in the buzz/reboot issue reoccurring for customers not expecting the FW update to take place.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

That's exactly what happened to me!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

My return is complete. After this ridiculous experience, Amazon was nice enough to issue me a refund. I've bought the Sony XM4 and Bose has lost my business. I encourage the rest of you to do the same. Bose doesn't care enough to even reply to this thread regularly, let alone actually fix the problem or allow downgrading the firmware. Run.