Highlighted

Re: Bose 700 - Makes a loud buzz noise and reboots

Hello all, 

Thank you all for posting and contributing to this thread. This definitely is a strange issue and not something that any of you should be experiencing. 

If you have already attempted the steps listed in this thread, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our customer service team via clicking this link, then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2017

Will do.

Also letting you know that this issue just recurred minutes ago today. I was listening to music and the headphones was making a loud buzzing noise before it shut down after a few seconds. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

If it's a hardware issue we should share our manufacturing dates. In the technical info of the device in the Bose Music app, it says mine were made in November 2019.

By the way, I went into a Bose store and swapped mine for a brand new pair... this new pair were actually made BEFORE the pair I had an issue with (September 2019). It remains to be seen if they will exhibit the same fault as before.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 3, 2020

I am having a similar issue. However my Bose 700, wouldn’t allow me to use the call feature. I would always have to answer calls off my phone. Requiring me to take off my headphones. 

Also, it is make a loud car horn noise than reconnecting it was working fine till a day or so ago? 

Highlighted

Hello FelishaShamsuddin, 

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. I am very sorry to hear of this experience you are having with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.

Have you been able to try the suggested troubleshooting provided in this thread?

Please let us know, we would love to do what we can to help. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 14, 2020

Well you're not alone. I just started having this very same issue after I was prompted to download the latest update. I never had an issue until now. At this point, the headphones constantly reboot after the loud buzz sound. I had recommended these to a co-worker but just reached out to her and said "don't buy these things right now" and explained my issue. Come on Bose, get these things working and don't make me regret ever buying and doing business with your company.

Stats:

I have a Samsung Note-8 (SM-N950U).

Only the phone is connected.

I've tried the reboot method of attaching the USB-C cable multiple times.

Connecting the wired cable seems to work for now but I didn't spend over $400 for a wired headphone. 

Purchased these in January of 2020 from Amazon. 

The app says version 3.3.4 but the firmware within the app says N/A.

After removing them from my list of Bluetooth devices and adding them back in, it now shows firmware -  1.4.12.6283.9f658fd and says "Product up to date".

I called Amazon and they were unable to return them as past the date but said they've had numerous issues with them. The rep tried calling Bose but they were closed. He's going to call me tomorrow to get Bose on the line to see how they can resolve this issue. I'm still under warranty but this makes my very nervous as to what will happen the day after the warranty expires. This shouldn't be the case on $400+ headphones. 

Waiting on you Bose to make this right.  

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 14, 2020

Hi All,

I found that after I changed the default name of the headphones from "Bose NC 700 Headphones" to a custom name say "Bob's Headphones" the buzzing/reboot issue started, especially with 2 devices connected. Since then I have gone back to the default name and it is rare for it to buzz and reboot. I know what your thinking, how can that be? However for me it seems to work for my iPhone 7, S10+ and Win10 PC and Mac mini. Hopefully a future update won't break it again for me.

Good luck

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Buzzing followed by Headphone Reboot

Hey Lunchman,

Thanks for your post. We've reached out to you directly to gather additional information and would love to hear back.

If anyone else is having a similar experience, please can you provide the following details below in this thread.

• Bose product model
  • Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)
  • Bose app version (screenshot if possible)
  • A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce
  • Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?
  • What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)
  • When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?
  • Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

Hi Andy, thanks for the response. To answer your item list:

• Bose product model

NC700 Soapstone

Date of Manufacture: Nov 20 2019

• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)

1.4.12.6283.9f658fd

• Bose app version (screenshot if possible)

Android 3.3.4

• A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

After applying the OTA FW upgrade to 1.4.12, the headphones spontaneously reboot on their own several times with a minute or two after power on. 

• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?

After applying the 1.4.12 FW upgrade on 13 May this issue starting occurring. 

• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)

Samsung GS8 running Android 9

• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Started after the 1.4.12 upgrade. There were no problems prior to this FW.

• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any

(1) Powered on the headphones, connection made with the GS8. With no music streaming, the headphones rebooted 3 times within a few minutes, but with no music streaming there was no buzzing prior to the reboot.

(2) Cleared the headphone device list.

(3) Powered on the headphones, no reboots within 15 minutes. 

(4) Powered off the headphones. Powered back on, re-paired the GS8 to them. Problem reoccurs. Rebooted 5x within the first few minutes after power on, but since then they have been operating as expected. 

(5) Performed a device reset with the USB cable per the instructions in this forum. No difference in behavior, headphones still reboot on their own. 

Regards,

-Dom 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Bose product model

NC 700

Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)

1.4.12 - https://i.imgur.com/0zsv9VK.png

Bose app version (screenshot if possible)

Bose Music app, Android version 3.3.4

A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Scenario 1: Turn headphones on, get battery announcement, pair headphones to phone (Pixel 2 XL). Attempt to play audio through headphones, no sound will come through, although on phone it looks like device is connected and playing through Bluetooth device. Headphones will be unresponsive, will not respond to any button presses or button long holds. After approx 20 seconds, can hear click of ANC switching off, then back on, then headphones power on sound and battery/connection announcements. This will then loop, i.e. headphones will be unresponsive, hear them turn off and on, automatically reconnect to phone and get announcements, unresponsive, loop begins again. Loop can be stopped by switching off Bluetooth on phone to avoid automatic reconnection, headphones will then act normally until they re-pair to the phone. When they re-pair to the phone, they become unresponsive again.

Scenario 2 (can sometimes get this scenario after headphone reset and clearing paired device list on headphones, will occur once then will go back to Scenario 1): Turn headphones on, get battery announcement, pair headphones to phone (Pixel 2 XL). Attempt to play audio through headphones, will work fine inc. being able to adjust volume on headphones, skip tracks, etc. After a period of time (sometimes 1-2min, sometimes 10-15min) audio will stop and a long glitch or crash sound will play (similar to a sound you'd get if you were playing audio on a computer program and it crashed). This will stop after about 10 seconds, and then the boot loop described in Scenario 1 will happen. 

Note: these scenarios only occur with my phone. If I pair the headphones to both my phone and, say, my iPad, it will glitch and loop as long as it pairs with my phone. But if I switch Bluetooth off on my phone so it doesn't automatically pair, I can play audio fine from the other device. The phone was the device I used to update the headphones' firmware.

Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?

Immediately after updating firmware to latest version. Updated to new firmware via Bose Music app, at end of firmware update, said that firmware had not updated successfully, then message changed to update successful. Can use features on the headphones from the new update, such as updating EQ profiles.

What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)

Google Pixel 2 XL rev_10, on Android 10

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Immediately after updating firmware to latest version. Before this, headphones worked perfectly on all my devices.

Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any

Reset headphones (using button and cable method), cleared headphone pairing list, removed headphones from phone bluetooth paired devices, rebooted phone, re-paired with headphones.