Contributor
Registered since

May 14, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Reduced Battery Life Announcement

Did you remove the update that decreased the battery charge of the app? Which comes out now, 1-3-1 or something? That is good news for me since I bought another pair of 700 several weeks ago and I did not want to download the app so as not to have a problem. Thank you!

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 17, 2020

Dear Bose,

You have allowed a downgrade process for the qc35s as recent as April. Please do the same for this headset so those who are affected can be healed. We don't owe you the time it's taking to solve the new issues. You do however owe us the same product we purchased and already paid for. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

Just received my new Bose NC 700's yesterday.

Used them for a bit, then left them to charge overnight. When I turned them on, the battery level was said to be 1h30m. Confused, I looked up some issues on this forum, and found that simply turning them off and on again allowed a 20+h battery level readout. Perfect.

A few minutes later, my Pixel4 prompted me to update the firmware on the headphones. Great, I thought -- they were sitting in a box in a warehouse somewhere since they were manufactured in late September '19. Let's update and find new features.

Updated firmware to 1.4.12-6283+9f658fd, today, July 7th. This was not via the Bose app, but rather via the prompt from my phone itself. Might have been missed as a source of the bad firmware. I notice that in another thread, on July 2nd, Bose customer service states the update was pulled. This does not seem true for me.

After the update, I get a battery level readout of 17 hours. I'm not an electrical engineer, though I know it nearly impossible for a battery to lose so much charge in 5 mins. Especially after a firmware update.

Already attempted a reset via holding the power/bluetooth button and connecting the usb-c cable until the bluetooth blue light blinks/ 2 seconds (as recommended in another thread). Good time to point out the instructions don't mention if the headphones should be powered on or off to begin this procedure. I tried both since this nuance isn't called out. No difference.

Needless to say, posting here to follow along on this arduous 6 month thread. 

@Anne_S --- could you please provide a comprehensive update on the progress of engineering's findings w/ firmware 1.4.12? I consider this a P0 issue, impacting a large number of customers, something which should not take 6 months eng time to diagnose and fix. In addition, the failure to provide a rollback is both frustrating and unacceptable.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 17, 2020

Well I just was able to finally roll mine back to 1.3.1 no help from Bose. 

So my issues are now gone. Noise cancellation seems better as well. I work in a very noisy environment so this was extremely frustrating.  No way am I buying these for my employees anymore after this drama. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

Is there an update on the fix for the firmware update giving an inaccurate battery status?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2006

Hell, after very few cycles I get a max of 11 hours.  This is horrible.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2006

I tried the reset and an overnight charge netted me 16 and a half hours according to the up to date app.   

I’ve been dealing with battery issues in my Bose S1s for many months.  My Bose Free wireless earbuds drain like crazy.   This too?   What is going on with Bose and batteries????

Whats the fix for these headphones?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

Bose just removed my post because they do not support downgrades. So without suggesting a downgrade ------ version 1.3.1 will revert all battery issues folks have been experiencing. When the device is on 1.3.1,  these battery issues will not be apparent. How's that?

Absolute load of crap, Bose -- step your game up and stop silencing users who are only here to help.

If you can't provide a viable solution for end-users, then let us help others. No update on eng timeline on what is a widespread issue. Where's your Product Management teams? Can they comment on this thread instead of a Community Manager? 

We own these devices, and should have complete autonomy to fiddle with firmware, especially when a manufacturer refuses to provide a fix. In my opinion this falls under the the Electronics right to repair.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 7, 2020

To add since my post was deleted... Google OTA updates are not blocking 1.4.12. Causing these issues despite the removal of 1.4.12 from Bose Music app and the Bose Updater site.

I've sent feedback to Google engineering to pull the 1.4.12 update from OTA updates in alignment with Bose. 1.3.1 should be the latest version folks are allowed to update to, especially with all these issues.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2006

I assume the answer is somewhere in 27 pages of posts, but how do I roll back my firmware on my 700s?