madbooba
Advisor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Reduced Battery Life Announcement

@trmsd 

'Bose is planning to replace all the headphones having this issue.' WOW !!!

Seriously? So you were told that in official Bose customer support...

It would be nice if the moderators in this forum were also informed about that fact, in order to avoid unnecessary stress for everybody.

trmsd
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2020

Yes, that is what I was told by a representative when I called the support line yesterday. It was a very awkward conversation. It was obvious that they have been dealing with uncomfortable calls on this for a very long time and it is something they would rather not have to speak about. I simply asked specific questions about a cause and resolution, and I got a mixture of annoyance and the inability to articulate a coherent position.  I do not believe that they will be replacing the headphones. I think that this was just something he tossed-out to deflect questions that are not easy (or possible currently) for them to answer. I would feel sympathetic if not for the extended length of time that this has been going on, the poor quality of the initial release of this product, and the 36+ pages on this thread of reports of the problem. There is another thread that appears to go back further that indicates the same problem. They also released a firmware update that indicated that the problem was fixed, but it clearly was not, and it is impossible for me to believe that they thought that it was a fix. I think it was cheap trick to try and buy more time.

I am also unaware of a single communication about this issue from Bose to their customers that was not initiated by comments in this message board. It shows a great lack of respect for customers that are paying $349.00 for these devices.

As a software and firmware engineer, I do not believe that it is a solution to send replacements, unless the replacements are based on a new hardware design. The battery charging and battery level issue appears to have been introduced in a firmware update. Previous to that update, the battery charging and battery level functionality worked as designed. It is possible, but unlikely, that the update caused a bug or hardware fault that cannot be fixed by a firmware update. If it did, then the cost of sending replacements will be a major hit to Bose. But I do not have enough information to explain why they cannot figure-out how to fix it through a firmware update. 

I am very curious to see how they resolve this, if they resolve it at all. I think they have long exceeded a reasonable timeframe to expect customers to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Guitarist92
Participant
Registered since

Aug 24, 2020

I have bought 2 pairs of these headphones and when updated to the 1.3 update both don’t tell me I have 20 hours at full charge. One says I have 17 hours and the other will say 18. Getting a replacement pair is pointless 

getitright
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

How many folks have had a serious reduction in noise cancellation since this update?

I've seen some posts on this forum mentioning it but I'm trying to figure out if the NC issue is hardware or also attached to this firmware problem. I used to have great noise cancelling, but now there's hardly any differences between the levels and on level 10 I can hear voices from another room with my door closed, keyboard typing, fans, beeps, street noise all very easily. It is a very clear regression in quality and has nothing to do with resetting your headphones or whatever suggestions I've seen moderators provide. 

getitright
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 28, 2020

Have you seen a reduction in Noise Cancellation since these updates? I've seen a dramatic decrease. From wow this is great noise cancellation to I can hear fans, conversations, keyboard clicks all very clearly.

fmichel
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2019

It won't be fixed, they simply don't care.

Otherwise, how to explain that nothing has been done in the last three month?

davidylin
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

I'm adding myself to this thread because I am experiencing this issue. I received my current set of NC 700's as a warranty replacement for a pair that was generating noise in the right earcup (a repeat offense, as I returned my very first pair for a replacement for the same issue). My /third/ pair reported to me only 16 hours of battery life after fully charging out of the box. After minimal use it's starting to generate some static noise when it's not actively playing audio and the noise cancelling is somehow different from my first two pairs, really accentuating certain environmental noise like footsteps.

Prior to being an owner of the Bose NC 700, I owned four other pairs of Bose headsets and with the exception of one of the early sport earbuds (which had unexpectedly early material failures of the cord casing) I was always very satisfied with Bose's build quality and engineering. Bose customer service made up for the one-time deficiency of those sport earbuds. I was happy enough with Bose to shell out for their top product - the 700.

I'm beginning to regret this decision. This product does not meet my prior experience with the brand, nor my old perception of it. The way your device handles bluetooth profiles is poor at best, with most Windows 10 computers not being able to use a2dp. The Bose app frequently "can't connect" to my obviously bluetooth connected headphones (and has had this problem across multiple flagship smartphones and multiple NC 700 headsets). And frankly I'm done asking for replacements to encounter the same issues and I regret the damage I have caused the environment on my quest to not regret this purchase.

I'm still open to a solution, however, and I'm waiting to see how this debacle will pan out. People frequently ask me when it comes time for them to make significant tech purchases and at the moment, I can't tell them to buy Bose. I'm as disappointed as you are.

MusicWave
Participant
Registered since

Sep 5, 2020

This is really false advertising. Updated to 1.5.1 and now i hear the message, "Battery [xx] hours. Bluetooth off". It's even WORST than reduced battery life. I can't even use the headphone. A very expensive ear muffs I would say...

Vello Tusti
Collaborator
Registered since

May 16, 2020

I've been waiting for Bose to fix the firmware for half a year now, but due to the lack of it, I finally downgraded back to the previous version and so that Bose could no longer upgrade it against my will, I stopped using the Bose Music app. It is a pity that Bose can no longer offer anything but partial and faulty solutions, but that the headphones are very comfortable, they do not really want to give them up. However, I will probably buy the next ones from Sony.

gavtan
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 6, 2020

What firmware did you downgrade it to? I'm sick and tired of degrading battery times announced, it's now telling me 15 hours. Began at 18 hours, then 16 hours now 15 hours.

Maybe I need the new Sony.