cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlhollowell
Participant
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

Hello,

I don't want to unduly add to the criticism that I'm sure you are already being subjected to but, I would be very appreciative if Bose would spend a bit more time troubleshooting and beta testing firmware before pushing it, without verification request, to end users. 

Ok, for the productive part of my comment - I had to stop using my 700 series headphones this past week because of the sudden stutter problem. I reset the headphones and connections on my devices but this had no impact. I finally found this post today and ran through the reset process. Initially this only resolved one small part of my problem and NOT the major issue. Details were/are:

1. Audio when connected to my computer was stuttering severely...prohibiting communication and/or meaningful listening.

2. When I reset the device and computer the headphones would no longer pair with my computer (oddly iPhone and iPad were unaffected).

The reset allowed me to reconnect to my computer (after connecting via the Music app on my iPhone) however, audio was still choppy and skipping. It was ONLY after I disconnected from my phone that I could/can listen to audio without the choppy skipping. I don't need to be connected to my computer and iPhone simultaneously so, for now, this will work for me. As someone else in this thread has mentioned, it is unfortunate that high end headphones like these were sidelined by the manufacturer by a seemingly carelessly designed/implemented firmware update.

Best wishes for smoother roads ahead. I am still a Bose fan and certainly won't allow this setback to encourage me to stray...but a series of similar actions in the future could sour me. 

Regards

Jason

P.S. Update - Unfortunately, I've discovered that, while I was able to reconnect to my desktop and can hear audio without skipping, the audio begins skipping again as soon as I access any application other than the one that is providing the audio I am listening to. For example, if I am on an online video session, as soon as I attempt to open a page in my browser or open another file, the audio begins skipping and clipping. 😞 So, I'm back to my wired headphones...after a short moment of excitement having my wireless headphones back. 😞

yolksemite
Participant
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

I experienced the stutter issue with multiple device before the update. After update the headphone is malfunctioning all the time

• Bose product model

NC 700
• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)

1.42 (No longer able to access the information due to resetting during troubleshoot, and cannot pair with bose app anymore)
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible)

• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Before update: Audio from PC stutter when connected to multiple device

After update: Above, and worse.

- Headphone itself stutter when power on, does not read out power level. 

- Cannot be fully charged overnight

- Reoccurring self restart

- Poor connection with phone, and usual control features not functional

- Assistant unavailable

- Cannot be reset according to resetting instructions (4, Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue. Bluetooth light never blinks blue despite 5 minute hold)

After troubleshoot through attempts at resetting everything:

- At this point most issues are somewhat fixed

- Bose Music App cannot pair with device after 10 trials

- Stutter and battery issue yet to be verified to be fixed
• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?

Most issues after update
• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)

PC, Windows 10 v1903

OnePlus 6T, Android 10, OxygenOS 10.3.3
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Aforementioned

• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effets, if any.

- Tried resetting the headphone, failed as aforementioned

- Tried clearing the device list on headphone, and device from PC and phone, success 

- Now somewhat stable connection with phone, assistant and control functionality working

- Bose app unable to pair with device

bisiorro
Contributor
Registered since

May 16, 2020

Hello. Please find the answers below:

• Bose product model: Bose NC 700 Headphones (079616Y93518531AE)

• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible): 1.4.12-6283+9f658fd

• Bose app version (screenshot if possible): 3.3.4

• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: I have noticed two problems. First of them, is the parallel connection of the headphones with my IOS (13.4.1) or Mac OS Catalina (10.15.4) device and Windows 10. Apple's device disconnects and reconnects continuously. The second problem is the crackling sound during a Bluetooth connection. I have taken all the steps recommended by you. The reset does not run as described. Bluetooth LED does not blink. After the first attempt of the reset, I could not turn on the headphones.  

• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? My flat - Germany (is it really important?); The conflict between Windows and Apple devices has been appearing always.

• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9): MacBook Pro (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4), LG TV software version 04.71.30

• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?. The problem between Windows and Apple since I have the headphones, the crackling sound, I noticed two days ago.

• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any: All the steps recommended by you.

Please keep me informed about further steps to solve the issue.

Best regards,

Pawel Scibior

RoninRokuro
Participant
Registered since

May 16, 2020

I have the current firmware and app version. I have experienced a slight stutter when I first connect to one of my devices and it is noticeable. This has been a problem since my purchase of the headphones in April. Along with there inaccurate battery readings and the break in period for the headphones, I like them.

However, I would like to see the battery level reading and the stutter problems be fixed soon as this is a premium Bose product valued at $400. Otherwise I’ll be considering a return and using my warranty options.

Nik_HK
Contributor
Registered since

May 14, 2020

I am facing the same issue as others and tired the troubleshooting steps, it doesnt work. I am likely to return these headphones . Didnt expect this from Bose after paying a premium price 

• Bose product model: Bose NC 700 HP
• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible): 1.4.12.6283.9f658fd
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible): 3.3.4

imac1987
Participant
Registered since

May 17, 2020

• Bose NC 700
• Bose product firmware version: 1.4.12-6283+9f658fd
• Bose app version: 3.3.4

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Audio cuts out for a split second at a time and crackles when connected to Macbook Pro 2016 model running Catalina 10.15.4 and iPhone X running iOS 13.5.

The issue is prominent on the Macbook when connected to two devices - turning off the other connection to the iPhone in the Bose Music App fixes the problem so has something to do with 2 devices being connected at the same time.

The battery reduction issue is also present on my set. I can only get the headphones to charge to 80% as displayed on the iPhone which is at max giving me 14.5 hours so this is drastically reduced from the 18-20 hours I was getting before.

Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?

The sound issues occur with general use on the Macbook and can present itself with no interaction whatsoever with the iPhone.

However, I have noticed that strangely the stuttering occurs in line with opening/switching applications.

It does not seem to be application-specific though, as at other times it will just randomly break up a song/video with no real CPU increase or interaction from me.

It also seems to be more prominent when starting a new video on youtube for example... as if it's lost the Bluetooth signal for a split second... reminds me of an "HDMI handshake" where a screen blacks out for a second before showing the picture.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

I had noticed the stuttering issue on the last firmware -  if anything the problem has gotten worse. The battery issue was not present on the last firmware.

Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any.

Resetting as per instructions. Clearing Bluetooth connections and starting afresh.

No luck with troubleshooting other than disconnecting the 2nd device when using my Macbook.

Hoping that Bose can get a quick patch sorted for this as it really is ruining what should be a good experience for the price paid for these headphones.

Rrinzler
Participant
Registered since

May 17, 2020

SOLVED (for me) using a very common blanket fix for Mac.

Try if your headset is connected to a MacOS computer AND have weird audio issues.

From my experience, Apple's Bluetooth drivers are the culprit. By restarting your Mac and applying an NVRAM reset you're clearing corrupted files that cause sound problems. Follow OPs instructions then perform NVRAM reset.

Reset the NVRAM (previously PRAM)—it’s quick and harmless.

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Press the power button, and as soon as you power up the laptop, hold down Command-Option-P-R.

3. Keep holding down those keys for about 20 seconds. Then let go and allow your Mac to continue starting normally. If you have an older Mac that chimes at boot, hold down the keys until you hear a second startup chime.

vineethpbharadwaj
Advisor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

I am having the same issue since the latest firmware update of my Bose NC 700 Headphones

Firmware version: 1.4.12-6283+9f658fd

Devices: iPad Pro (iOS 13.4.1) and iPhone XS (iOS 13.4.1)

Bose Music app version: 3.3.4

This happens only on my iPad and not on my iPhone when both the devices are connected. When I turn off my iPhone it doesn't happen.

Easiest way to reproduce:

Connect both iPhone and iPad.. connect iPad to charger and the charging sound iPad makes will stutter..

The same occurs randomly when playing music or watching videos.. but only on my iPad. My iPhone seems to work perfectly.

Troubleshooting so far:

Reset headphones, removed headphones from iPad and iPhone bluetooth history.. reboot iPhone and iPad and reconnect headphones.

The problem still persists.

robert1326
Participant
Registered since

May 16, 2020

hi all,

I'll start with the reason I bought Bose NC700.

• because of the better audio the others hear when I use it as headset especially in a noisy environment 
  • because it is one of few that allow simultaneous dual connection (phone and laptop for me) and automatically switch between audio sources - not very good in 1.3.1, if meetings, disconnect from iPhone occurred many times.

• Bose product model - Bose NC 700
• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible) - 1.4.12 - 6283+9f658fd
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible) - 3.3.4
• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce - with the old firmware 1.3.1 the multi-device connection had the following issue: connected to iPhone and laptop.... all good listening Youtube, etc.... till meetings and use SkypeForBussiness or Teams audio...few times the iPhone disconnects, I heard the message "iPhone lost" over the meeting audio - as a workaround I used: - disconnect the iPhone from Bose app anytime I had a meeting  ---- now with the new firmware I did not encounter this issue, I had some short meetings, today I'll have a long one ---- to be updated

• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?  -- the multi-device connection issue was from the beginning - seems to be solved with the new firmware, still, I have to test it with long duration meetings - UPDATE - tested with a 49min meeting call - no issues whatsoever!
• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) iPhone X IOS 13.4.1 and Lenovo Thinkpad T460 running Windows 10 Enterprise
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? -- no, didn't work correctly previously in 1.3.1, seems that is solved in 1.4.12
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any. ---- I did not test the multi-device connections right after the firmware update....because of the wrong battery level report, I restarted hard the headset many times + deleted the connections from iPhone and laptop and recreate everything --- maybe this fixed the issue if was one ...

just me,

robert

Mark Oxford
Contributor
Registered since

May 18, 2020

Please sort this stuttering thing out.

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am.

Have tried all your inconvenient ’fixes’

My first ever Bose item, a very generous gift, the stuttering and crackling are an utter let down

I actually wanted the Sony WH-1000mx3 but thought I had a stylish upgrade

What I have is a load of crackle

Got the 3.3.4 app

Got the 1.4.12 firmware

Cleared the Bluetooth list

Unpaired everything and ‘forgotten’ the connections

Continues to crackle through my viewing on the Amazon Firestick, even when not connected to my iPhone or iPad (ie it’s the only thing it is connected to), no crackling on the tv speakers so it’s the connection 

Had them less than a month

😞