Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

@SimoneS 

I am truly sorry to tell you this, but Realtek 8761 is a Bluetooth 4.0 chipset, which doesn't support Bluetooth 5. I don't think there can be Bluetooth 5 dongle under $30. I thought you were referring to the famous Plantronics one. 

For the connectivity issues, I am really interested in how they are so screwed. I hope it's not chipset dependent, but that's the only thing I could think of. There is only a number of laptops that are being discussed here, which has similar chipsets. Surface, Macbook etc. Could be just market share kind of thing (probably surely), but as the post here,  the op concluded in his test that only 2 out of 8 dongles worked. That should never be the case if the problem has nothing to do with the chipsets themselves.

Or could it be BLE kind of thing? Idk, in any case, even considering the fact that there can be a product with Bluetooth chipset compatibility issue sounds quite dumb to me. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 25, 2019

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

@doblej92 good catch. I have had the same doubt but this should be 8761B.

Honestly I didn't find any reference to this chipset, but if I look inside driver info it is recognized by windows as BT 5.1 (LMP10).

It's made in china, but if it's a fake also driver was altered. Anyway it works

UPDATE: I have done a research and I have found this feedback:

So, I removed the circuit board from the adapter (easily done, since it's just press-fit, not soldered) and had a look.

The chip ID is Realtek 8761BUV. That doesn't appear to be a real product ID. Realtek has a similar product ID, 8761AUV, but it's just a BLE 4 chip, not BLE 5. My guess is that the chip is a counterfeit and not BLE 5 compatible, though the driver does identify it to Windows as BLE 5.

This means that probably isn't a protocol compatibility problem.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2020

The computers I've tried to directly connect (2017 iMac, 2018 Macbook Pro) both use Bluetooth 5.0 and have caused problems when also connected to my Pixel 3 (Bluetooth 5.0)

The dongle I'm having success with (Avantree Leaf) uses Bluetooth 4.1.  But note that this is an "audio" adapter; it appears to the computer as a USB audio device and appears to the headphones as a bluetooth receiver.  This means I can't use the headset microphone, but that's fine for my use case.

I found an article suggesting that Macs may have problems with bluetooth devices that have both a microphone and speakers

https://www.macworld.com/article/3538798/mac-bluetooth-audio-quality-ways-to-fix-it.html

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 25, 2019

After that I have discovered that I was using a counterfeit dongle, I have asked for a substitution and now I'm using an Asus usb-bt400 dongle based on Broadcom chipset, Bluethoot version 4.0 (LMP 6). I coupled it with a OnePlus 6T, BT 5.0, and I can confirm that it works perfectly (for the moment).

Thank you to @doblej92 which prompted me to investigate my "cheaper" dongle in deep 😁  

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 29, 2020

@Anne_S @bose any news about this issue? it's been 1 month... too much time for such a brand like Bose to fix the issue. At least you could give the possibility of downgrading the firmware to the previous version and make the updates optional and not mandatory. Thank You.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 7, 2020

Do you have any updates on this?

It's been some time now with issue and you have not provided any solutions. At least you could give users the choice to upgrade or not instead of forcing us to make it. Now these headphones worth less than any cheap brandless one. 

It stutters all the time no matter how many times I reset it, and on top of that it gets worse if I connect to more than one device. 

I'll never buy Bose again. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2020

Hi Wayne,

Can you please provide an update on where the engineering team is with this?

I have had my headphones replaced 3 times now, all for this exact issue.

Bose Firmware Version: 1.4.12

Bose App version: 3.3.4

Connection: Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and HP Elitebook Laptop.

Further information: Any update to the headphones including firmware and google assistant corrupts the initial firmware, putting it into the reboot loop. This also prevents the hard reset from being made also i.e. connecting to USB C and holding down on/off button. 

If a product recall is needed please advise urgently.

Thanks,

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 15, 2020

I have been chasing and following this issue for months. I was expecting the FW 1.4.12 would resolve all the issues we reported. However, it made things even worse. Here becomes a tech forum for the technical discussions to see how we get a workaround. but where are you Bose? are we buying a $400 engineering prototype to do the tests with you? You should at least tell us what is your plan to fix it? it's not fair to keep your users waiting then missing the time frame for the return if you don't have a solution. that's not fair. so again, what's your plan? thank you!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

Hello @DuncsNZ!

It seems like Bose will need more time for an update on this issue. Meanwhile, can you share which model of elitebook you are currently using? 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

@SimoneS you are welcome! 

There are not that many BLT 5 dongles on the market and those are quite pricy. It is safe to assume any product under $30 will not have blt5. 

If it's not much to ask, can you share your Bluetooth/wifi card that you had a problem with?