Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

Hey everyone,  

Thank you for your continued posts with regards to stuttering when connected to multiple devices and apologies for the delay on an update.  

We have been passing along the information you reported since upgrading to 1.7.0 to our engineers. Given the number of continued reports, we decided to leave the thread open, and appreciate the insight you’ve been able to provide. 

I want to thank everyone who replied with the information we requested. This is particularly important as it makes sure our engineers have the most relevant details possible during their investigation. Without these details it can be very difficult to figure out the root cause of a report, and so I once more want to say how appreciated it is when you take the time to add the details to your reply. 

This thread will be left open for members to continue to give us feedback on the issue for our engineers. When replying, please make sure to include the following details: 

• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible) 
  • Bose app version (screenshot if possible) 
  • Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce 
  • Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? 
  • What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) 
  • When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? 
  • Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any. 

We understand how frustrating stuttering can be and want to assure you this is something we continue to work on and improve.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 16, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

@Wayne_M 

I can confirm audio stuttering on my brand new Bose NC 700.

Details you've asked for:

• Bose NC 700 firmware version: 1.7.0-10068+f3675e6
  • Bose app version: 4.1.1.
  • Issue: sound is stuttering (like scratched CDs or unpleasant, crackling sound like using old vinyl discs, sometimes no sound...) while switching between music videos on Youtube and from time to time (1-2 times for 3-5 minutes) during the playback. Also losing sound at all for about one second.
    • Conditions: paired with 2 devices - iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 14.2 and Windows PC with Windows 10 1909 and Bluetooth 5.0 module (Intel, the latest drivers from 20 Oct 2020).
    • Steps:
      1. Switch on Headphones and wait until they're connected to both devices
      2. Open on PC e.g. Chrome, go to Youtube, enter any playlist with music videos, and start playback
      3. Experience stuttering on each video change (on the beginning) for 1-5 seconds. Videos can be switched manually - it doesn't matter if switching is because video ends or by hand.
  • I experience issues from the beginning. I bought the NC700 headphones 2 weeks ago. Installed the Bose app and got a firmware update to the version listed above just after the first launch. The initial firmware version was 1.3.1.
  • What I did:
    • switch on and off headphones;
    • unpair and pair headphones again;
    • reset headphones;
    • restart all devices;
    • update everything to the latest versions - firmware, apps, drivers;
    • use different Bluetooth adapters and applications;
    • retested on other Bose NC 700 headphones with v1.7.0 firmware (mine are from July 2020, the second one are from November 2019) - results are the same;
    • searched the web to find solutions...
  • Effects of troubleshooting - none. I would say it's even worse but I stopped counting...

What I can add:

• I have also a 4-year-old Bose QC35 with their latest firmware. And they are working perfectly (!) with the configuration listed above. I would say, they are working perfectly all the time. I bought 700 because of improved voice calls (excellent background noise canceling) but... never expected an issue like this after a great experience with QC35 (and previously with QC20...). To be honest - I am really disappointed.

If you need any more details, I am glad to help you.

UPDATE 11/19/2020:

Once I switched on notifications on my Windows 10 PC (I muted them some time ago), my ears are bleeding - each incoming message, notification, etc. results in stuttering, crackling noise. I am more than disappointed. I can use my old QC35 that works perfectly with my setup but why I should do that after paying $400 for NC700?

Kindest regards,

Jacek

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 3, 2020

Stealing Jacek’s post above as a template...

I can confirm audio stuttering on my brand new Bose NC 700.

Details you've asked for:

• Received out of box with Bose NC 700 firmware version: 1.1.4-1144+be3bf4b, tested for a day and seemed OK but did not do significant testing at this point prior to update.
  • Updated to firmware version: 1.7.0-10068+f3675e6
  • Bose app version: 4.1.1.
  • Issue: sound has occasional static and stuttering with Spotify on iPad Pro 4 12.9 (2020 model) on IOS 14.1 during playback.
    • Condition 1: paired with only iPad Pro, no other devices - stutters around once per hour to once per two hours. The stutter is like a digital glitch in the audio for less than 1 second. Like a scratch on a CD or a brief drop of internet connection (It’s not this by the way as all tests are with Spotify offline).
    • Condition 2: paired with iPad Pro and iPhone 11 Pro (both ios 14.1) - stutters and static more often, at least twice per hour.
  • I experienced issues from the beginning. I bought the NC700 headphones 4 weeks ago. Installed the Bose app and got a firmware update to the version listed above (which I blocked for a day to try version 1.1.4 first). The initial firmware version was 1.1.4
  • What I did:
    • switch on and off headphones;
    • un-pair and pair headphones many times;
    • reset headphones multiple times;
    • restart all devices;
    • update everything to the latest versions - firmware, apps, drivers;
    • use different Bluetooth adapters and applications;
    • searched the web to find solutions...
    • Downgraded from 1.7.0 back to 1.1.4. This firmware with one device connected – iPad Pro above would stutter perhaps once or twice in 8 hours and the stutter is significantly less, almost imperceptible, (whereas with 1.7.0 it is very noticeable and distracting.) Also there is no static or crackling. I would say with 1.1.4 and one device paired they are 99.5% fit for purpose.
  • Other Observations and Comments
    • I have not gotten around to pairing a second device again with 1.1.4.
    • With 1.7.0, I seem to hear a brief crackle each time they are first turned on within the first 30 sec of use. This does not happen with 1.1.4
    • Battery life has been similar with either firmware and they both charge to full, around 19.5 hours in either case.
    • 1.1.4 reports the wrong battery time on power-up voice. It seems to report the last battery life before charging. Pressing the touch pad again then will report the correct battery remaining.
    • Disconnecting other devices in the App reduces the issue but is not as effective as removing the other devices altogether.
    • I also tried up to 3 devices and the more that are connected the worse it gets.
    • I am now running 1.1.4 with only one device registered and connected via the app.
    • I keep the app off and disabled to background tasks to ensure it does not update to 1.7.0
    • Sometimes when you add the device via the app you get a LE Bluetooth profile and normal profile listed in IOS. Other times the LE device does not appear. Currently I have both listed on the iPad Pro and this seems to be working almost faultlessly.
    • ANC seems the same with both firmware, I can't pick a difference.
    • A bit more base with 1.7.0 but I wouldn't say it sounded better.
    • I don't miss the equaliser at all, would much rather core functionality worked 100%
    • Call quality is amazing with either firmware and was the reason for buying these over the Sony XM4. (Just need to get the Bluetooth connection 100% reliable, which should not be that hard given all my devices are BT5).
  • Hopes and Dreams
    • I would prefer the disconnections to be remembered. It is annoying that if you have three devices they all connect as soon as you turn the headphones on. I would prefer the app remember which are on and which are off.
    • I would also prefer a way of switching profiles from the headphones with a button between single devices, e.g. press voice assist and the headphones cycle through the available connections one at a time. Auto switching could be the other option of course.
    • A toggle in the app to disable firmware updates. I would like to decide if I want to update or not. This ideally should include whether to check, download and or apply.

If you need any more details, I am glad to help you.

Kindest regards,

John

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 9, 2020

Please resolve this issue. Its been there for several months and there seems to be no solution. I am highly disappointed with the product. How long do we have to follow up with Bose after spending $400 and wasting our precious time in trouble shooting this several times with no resolution.

You guys should just recall this defective product. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 18, 2020

Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)  1.7.0
Bose app version (screenshot if possible) 4.1.1
Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce - Stuttering when listening to any sound from BT connect Windows 10 PC and also connected to iPhone
Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? Since upgrading to 1.7.0
What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) ios 14.2 iPhone XR
When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? yes, worked previously on ios 13/older firmware revision
Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any.

To resolve, once the headset has connected to both my laptop and iPhone, I launch the app on my iphone, disconnect and reconnect to the headset.  This stops the device from stuttering.  It doesn't matter in which order the headset connects to either device, it just stutters.

I also have an issue with Google Meet calls, I have to power off and on the headset or it's just not recognised during a call.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2017

Product Firmware 1.7 - two NC700s same exact issue

Bose app 4.11

Connected to Pixel 4XL and Pixelbook with or without app installed on Pixel 4XL when both devices are connected.  90% of the time I will here a stutter when watching something on pixelbook the video freezes and headphones reboot.

It occurs every single time two devices are connected.

Wayne,

I'm sorry but I'm in product management and this is just disgraceful on so many levels.  Lack of communication with customers.  The fact that when you call support the answer is ship out new headphones.  This is just shocking to me and I can't comprehend why the 1.7 firmware has not been pulled, easy fix.  Why does bose not allow a reflash of older firmware.  Before I bought the NC700 I had QC35 for 3.5 years no issues what so ever.  Bought my wife QC 35II and again no issues.  You charge almost $400 for NC700 and this issue has been going on over half a year without a resolution, shame on BOSE!  I'm going back to the store to return the NC700 as it seems BOSE doesn't really understand what to do with this product or truly solve it.

I would not recommend these headphones to anyone.  I've already seen people returning them to the store I got them and alerted the store of the issue.  To say I'm disappointed it one thing but how this entire thing has gone down looking at the threads is just, well I don't have words.

Hope you get it fixed but you've lost a customer.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 16, 2020

After your s.p.malcolm@gmail.com reply, I realized that some time ago I switched off all notifications on my Windows 10 PC. Yesterday I turned them on and... I have the same. Each sound that starts playback on my PC (e.g. notifications about errors, incoming messages, etc.) is a nightmare.

I am so disappointed. Based on my experience with QC35 I still have, I would think it's my hardware/software issue. But QC35 works perfectly and other, competitive headphones (4 times cheaper, to be honest....) also works fine. On the same setup.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 9, 2020

This forum seems to be more of a place to vent out frustration than expect actual resolution from Bose. Can't comprehend that they are still promoting this product and selling to customers as one of their premium product.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 9, 2020

Bose NC700 Firmware update 1.8.2 stutter issues.

I just updated the NC700 with the latest firmware and see no difference with the stutter issues. I still hear the stutter. I heard like 3 times in a 3 minute song. I am not sure what got updated in this new version or what bluetooth connectivity issues were resolved
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 20, 2020

Re: Bose NC700 Firmware update 1.8.2 stutter issues.

I have the same issue on windows and mac.
Update did nothing. Trying with only one device connected did nothing. Clearing the paired devices list did nothing.....

I'm back to my 50$ Taotronics headset which works at least.....

Bose should be ashamed to sell such a device for that much money.