waynek
Participant
Registered since

Apr 3, 2021

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

I just bought these headphones today and I'm horrified to find I've run into an issue that has a giant thread like this.  I get stuttering / crackling at regular intervals (maybe 30s) when connected to my iPhone XR and Windows 10 desktop.  I don't get stuttering when connecting just to my desktop. I haven't connected just to my iPhone to test that because now I'm too afraid to touch the connection in case I get the issue again.  I'm on the latest headphone firmware.  I noticed on one occasion when it skipped I saw it briefly switch in the app from the desktop to the iPhone, but it didn't do this visual switch every time.

Is anyone from Bose looking into this or should I just cut my losses right away and switch this out for some other model?

LWZ
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 29, 2021

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

If you can return it, RETURN IT! Mine was a gift so I'm stuck with it. My previous headphone was a Sony and I had absolutely zero issue. I never paid my own money for a Bose and from this experience, I never will.

robertru.19
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 23, 2020

In regards to the theory that BT5 vs BT4 may be causing stuttering. I experience stuttering with my headphones while connected to a BT5 dongle plugged into my Windows 10 desktop PC (all updated except for the headphones, they are still on 1.3 - no way am I upgrading ntil they sort this out!). I get about 30 seconds of it usually after a good amount of problem free listening, or if I turn my headphones on WHILE music is already playing (it seems pretty random though, these scenarios don't always result in stuttering).

ajpalmsXX
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2020

I have tried all of these solutions over several months to no avail. Multiple device connection is not possible. And when they are only connected to my Macbook, I still occasionally get stutters! My headphones are no longer under warranty so I can't get support. So disappointed in the Bose NC 700, and I'm sad that I wasted so much money.  

Jessie_O

Hey @ajpalmsXX

Thanks for your post! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues. 

If you have tried all the troubleshooting outlined in this thread, I would recommend reaching out to your local technical support team. You can do this by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country, and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. We will do all we can for you even if your warranty has expired. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Revolyze
Participant
Registered since

Apr 13, 2021

So after trying everything and it not working, finally got it fixed.

I actually fixed it a while back in the same fashion but reformatting my computer brought the bug back. I would confirm first that this is a problem you only experience with Windows and not on your phone, otherwise the below might not be relevant.

This is a bit of a process and a bit of experimenting but eventually it works.

What I did is a bit similar to what others have said but it's incomplete and wouldn't work unless you take it a step further. Basically go to Device Manager, View -> Show Hidden devices.

Then here's the iffy part, Bose shows its head up everywhere, in BlueTooth, in Sound, video and game controllers, and I think at least one more section. Just got to uninstall it all. I even went as far as uninstalling all the stuff in bluetooth. You might run into a bug where you can't remove the bose device from the bluetooth section on windows 10, but this is actually a good sign because when you fix this, it will fix the stuttering. Reboot and double check again if nothing bose related showed up and uninstall, eventually all traces will disappear and the bug where you can't remove it will finally disappear, then just do a fresh pair (I did with Bose, not LE-Bose, I also did phone first then by phone to PC).

erratic
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2021

WOW - so this problem seems to exist for a year now and still persists ?

It happens with my brand new Bose 700 too.

So what is the consensus after a year of troubleshooting and firmware upgrades, @Jessie_O ?

Should I just contact a local Bose office to have my headphones replaced ? Does it help ? Because if it is known to persist I might as well keep mind if the replacement will have the same problem.

• Bose product model:
Bose 700, brand new.

• Bose product firmware version:

• Bose app version

• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce:
Just play a video on my Mac, while iPhone connected to headphones too. Interruption happens more or less every 2 minutes.

Everything works fine when connected only to iPhone, iOS 14.4.2, and listening to audio. (no interruptions)

Everything works fine when connected only to Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7 and listening to audio. (no interruptions)

However, when the headphones are connected to BOTH iPhone and Mac, and I listen to audio on my Mac, then about every 2 minutes the sound is briefly interrupted for about 0.5 seconds with a little cracking sound and short sound drop.

Both iPhone and Mac have Bluetooth 4.2

This is very annoying, and the only way I found to avoid it is to disconnect the Bluetooth connection with my iPhone. (not delete, just disconnect)

The same does not happen when listening to audio on my iPhone, and my Mac is connected too. Then no interruptions happen.

• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?
Only on my Mac.
Problem occurred right from day one, first usage - which was preceded by the firmware upgrade requested by the app. Haven't used the headphones before the upgrade to 1.8.2

• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on?
Macbook Pro on Catalina 10.15.7, playing videos with VLC

• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?
Problem occurred right from day one, first usage - which was preceded by the firmware upgrade. Haven't used the headphones before the upgrade to 1.8.2

• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any.
The recommended steps: Reset the headphones, deleted all Bluetooth connections, reinstalled the app, changed the order in which device I connect first.
Problem does not occur when listening to the same video (or any) with headphones via audio cable - but then also there is no connection with my iPhone since plugging audio cable disables Bluetooth

igormoreno
Participant
Registered since

Oct 16, 2020

wow... it's unbelievable that after all this time (a year!) this issue is still not fixed. I bought a Bose 700 recently and I'm having the same issue. It seems futile to answer this questionnaire about the issue. It's clearly the same "stuttering when multi-pairing" issue that so many have reported on already. I wish I would have seen this before buying mine. 😞

Agia
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 15, 2021

The treatment that Bose has reserved for this community and their clients is just absurd, unfair and unprofessional.

Just to recap the situation:

- We are talking about ~300Eur headphones that have more problems than a cheap bluetooth headset of 30$. 

- Stutter and crackling after installing their firmware updates

- A 42 pages threads filled with people reporting problems that remain unsolved after one year

- Impossibility to return/replace the device since this problem appeared after their firmware updates

- Bose support is non-existent. Zero excuses, no ETA, no updates. Just copy/pasted answers. Pushing people to "submit their detailed report" and then doing nothing with it.

This is plain ridiculous. Whenever I am in front of my laptop and I hear the stuttering all I can think of is "I paid 300Eur for this" and "I will never, ever buy Bose again".

This is insulting to your customers, your community and your brand.

OlivierB7
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2021

Re: Bose NC 700 - Broken/crackling sound

Hi, 

I think I am having the same problem. I just bought them...