I own XM4. It stutters sometimes but very rarely (like once every 2-3h). I started monitoring issue here, since while I like XM4 regarding music better, I think that 700 are more comfortable to wear, ANC is better (though I feel ANC "pressure" when using 700s) , usage is generally more user friendly (XM4 is gimmicky) and I think microphone quality is way better. So, if not the damned stutter issue on 700s I'd probably stick with them..
Aug 3, 2020
I think Bose has bluetooth implemented just right in QC35 which i own, but it appears that knowledge was lost in QC700 😞
Jul 6, 2020
Aug 28, 2020
How many folks have had a serious reduction in noise cancellation since this update?
I've seen some posts on this forum mentioning it but I'm trying to figure out if the NC issue is hardware or also attached to this firmware problem. I used to have great noise cancelling, but now there's hardly any differences between the levels and on level 10 I can hear voices from another room with my door closed, keyboard typing, fans, beeps, street noise all very easily. It is a very clear regression in quality and has nothing to do with resetting your headphones or whatever suggestions I've seen moderators provide.
Apr 19, 2020
On my third pair and although the previous two had other problems, ALL three have had the same stutter, skip and crackling in common. Purchased on launch date in Aus for $600AUD. First pair worked great for a few months. I believe the first pair started giving me issues around April-May. Sent them back to Bose to get a replacement. Soon after I received the second pair, I started experiencing sound and battery issues. This last pair has had the most annoying sound issues from all three.
Customer service in Australia has been great though. Cannot fault the team out here as I have received my replacement headphones in a few days just after returning (shipping) the faulty ones.
Aug 31, 2020
I did the recommended steps and want to share some of my results since this might help some people and the devs from Bose. (reset the Headset, remove all the pairing list and then remove the pairing on all my devices). I think repaired my devices from the Bluetooth settings and not from the Bose App.
Alright, This appears to be a mix of issues. As many others in the forum I am as well having issues with my 700s specially when conecting with my MacBook Pro. I just use them for my videoconference but not for listening music or watching videos. I have noticed that when connecting my headset to my Mac and even without playing music I can hear slight stutter like some sort of interference.
Now, the only other thing connected via bluetooth is my Logi mouse. So I turned off the mouse and the only thing connected is the 700 headset, same issue between every 20-30 seconds there is this slight stutter as if it was connecting and disconnecting or when its buffering audio. I then connected only my Logi and started keep moving the mouse pointer up and down and noticed that it was also stuttering between those 20-30 seconds.
Then I ran some other tests:
I am still to debug what software is running on my Mac (MB Pro 15inc 2018 - Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021) ) or checking the error console but I believe that I have some rogue background program that is causing this stutter. If you are facing the same issue with your Mac try doing those tests if you have a bluetooth mouse.
So my suggestion here is check also if you have any other software (it can be unrelated to Bluetooth or the bluetooth services!) that might be running in the background and/or spiking your CPU, that might one way to get rid of the stutter. Will continue testing.
Running on latest firmware on my Headset and latest iPad 13.6.1 and iPhone 13.6.1
I looked into that earlier (prior to owning 700s), and it seems that in that regard the main issue is the Handoff feature on MBP that sends BT "pulse" every 20-30s or so in order to share clipboards and see what other devices in the vicinity have opened (like sharing tabs in Safari and so on).
Disabling this usually resolves BT connectivity issue, I for one, however would rather have those issues resolved since I know that there exist headsets (AirPods, XM4 for that matter) that work without stuttering...
Sep 3, 2020
This nice designed device with excellent build quality, unbelievable noise cancelling and decent but not great sound failed me many times during the calls.
The question is when do you plan to release the update which would fix at least blueteeth related issues? Do you think that this can be fixed with SW update or is it an issue with HW module itself?
I would like to keep this device, but I have to take the decision within 30 day return period.
Sep 5, 2020
I created an account just to post this issue. I searched at different places and people kept saying that the newest update fixes this stuttering issue. No, it did not fix it. My firmware is still at 1.3.1 and the updater says it's the most up to date version and did not allow me to update to 1.4 or 1.5 version.
Really a waste of money of over 400 to have this poor quality/customer service. What's the point of having a multipoint function when there's stuttering connecting two devices? How can we listen to music? do video call? it really makes this headphone useless. Let's return all the bose headphones as defective as it has been months without any solid solution to this issue.
I have the same information as the previous poster here----
• Bose product model -- Bose NC 700
• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible) -- 1.3.1-2028+de73ce1
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible) -- 3.5.7
• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce -- sound stutter/crackling when connected to two devices, occurs randomly almost always start with PC/laptop computer's video/music but at least once every 1 to 2 hours which is annoying
• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? -- it seems related to video call from laptop (windows 10) or listening to music/youtube video from desktop computer (windows 10). It has not happened when listening to music from my phone directly (pixel 3).
• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) -- Windows 10 on my computer and laptop, and my phone is pixel 3 android phone
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? -- I bought this headphone about 5 days ago and then it started happening about 3 days ago. Not sure if the issue started when updating to firmware 1.3.1 or the newest phone app version 3.5.7 or it has been there all along....
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effets, if any. --
The following methods seem to help but after a while, it happens again.
1) Turning off/on the headphone
2) disconnect/reconnect headphone to the computer
3) Click on the Bose music app on my phone, it will try to connect to the headphone and the stutter/cracking disappears. Apparently, the Bose music app shows that the headphone is not available when stuttering occurs, and then it says the need to connect. After a second or two, the app updates and shows that the headphone is connected on the app. I click connect, then the stuttering sound goes away.
Because (3) was able to fix the issue, I wonder if my cell phone/Bose music app is trying to connect/send a signal to the headphone once in a while or the intermittent drop in connection from phone/app to the headphone, interfering with the signal from computer/laptop?