Noctule
Contributor
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

Does anyone with the problem own a UE Boom and has the app installed by any chance? Someone on reddit posted that the app could cause problems and suggested to uninstall it.

I'm listening to music right now, got my NC700 connected to my phone and also to my PC and there is no single hiccup in the music stream so far today. 

Kmedian
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

If you're using MacOS, this video fixed all issues for me:

In this video I'm showing how to quickly fix your bluetooth audio quality on Mac OS X. UPDATE DEC 2020:It seems you'll need to download the last version of A...
bsfitz96@hotmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2021

Re: Bose NC 700 - Broken/crackling sound

It's Jan 2021 and I am having this challenge too.  I like to use these with Webex on my company-issued Macbook Pro.  They work well with the iPhone but not so much with the MacBook via Bluetooth.

Please tell me Bose has not ignored the myriad complaints over the last year and has addressed this problem with a significant solution.

Cheers

Zumbari
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2021

I have this problem on macOS and it occurs with any audio source--itunes, netflix, amazon prime, apple music.  Goes away if the iPhone Bluetooth is disabled.  I don't think the problem was happening for the first month or so after getting the headphones.

I'm not seeing it with my Windows laptop.

It's always paired with an iPhone.  I switch the second paired device back and forth between the mac and the windows laptop.

fomrat
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

I still have this issue. It manifests itself when my NC 700s are connected to my phone and my computer. I need it for both, but often I disconnect it from my phone so that I have relatively stutter-free (and crackle-free) sound while using MS teams (meetings) or listening to music.

• Bose product model: Bose NC 700 HP
• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible): attached
• Bose app version (screenshot if possible): 4.2.4SmartSelect_20210111-094233_Bose Music.jpg
• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: connect to both phone (Calls, but not Audio -- Audio makes the problem worse) and computer
• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? When listening to Teams audio or music from Computer)
• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) Samsung Note20 Ultra 5G, Samsung One UI 3.0 (latest)
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? Immediately. No.
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effets, if any. Reboot phone/reboot computer/reset headphones/clear BT list/reboot phone

365nice
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

I've also got this same issue - I'm also using an iPhone (X - ios13) and a macbook (MacBook Pro 16 - Catalina).

I've tried doing a headphone reset - and it doesn't seem to work , however if I disconnect from the MacBook I don't get the stuttering, I have also noticed that if I connect to my iPhone and an iPad as the 2 devices, I don't get the stuttering from that combination either.

It seems like its an iPhone and MacBook dual connection problem - however the problem is that this is my ideal remote working setup - where I can make Teams calls for meetings, and still take the occasional phone call as well as listen to spotify from my phone. This should just work - so its annoying that it doesn't - and I'm double annoyed that these headphone ares literally a week old, and I never had the chance to try them with the 1.3 firmware (which they were shipped with) as it auto-upgraded on my (even though I was trying to ensure they didn't upgrade as I was reading the forum comments here when I opened the box to set them up).

I am using Firmware - 1.8.2 and the 4.2.4 version of the app.

Clauss
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2021

Tried it - doesn't work for me - Bose NC 700 NP MacOS Catalina 

The instructions may to be too old - at least the Bluetooth Explorer hasn't been in the releases for quite some time - and even though the forced use of aptX is activated there it doesn't seem to be active.  

365nice
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

@Kmedian I am interested in how the bluetooth explorer app and forcing aptx on your macbook might have fixed the dual connection stuttering. I tried following the steps and it didn't seem to do anything on my MacbookPro 16 - however I did notice that when playing audio from my macbook the enhanced bluetooth information doesn't show my macbook using aptx (so I may need to reboot the computer and try again). However - this got my thinking, as the stuttering audio is actually when I am using spotify on my phone - having left a Teams call on my computer and have gone to make a tea in the kitchen.

So I am wondering if we have the same usecase - as I'm not sure how making the laptop use aptx would impact how the the phone would deliver audio (its possible, as perhaps the laptop is passively interrupting the phone connection somehow?)?. So I was wondering if you might clarify how this might have fixed your usecase?

Kmedian
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

Hey, @365nice . So I'm using a late 2009 iMac and a 2019 iPhone 11 paired to my Bose. I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) and iOS 14.3.

The audio has improved quite a lot when connected to the iMac. I used to get a lot of cracks and stuttering, even when it was the only deviced paired to. You need to enable AAC, which is what the 700s use. What Mac OS version are you using?

In my case, the enchanced bluetooth information doesn't show anything either, I just know it's using AAC or APTX because I launched the bluetooth explorer again. I also pared the iMac to a bluetooth TX/RX (an Avantree Oasis Plus) which confirmed the APTX codec.

The NC700 use AAC and/or SBC bluetooth codecs. When not forcing your computer to use AAC, it will switch to SBC, which will deliver a lesser audio quality, more prone to the crackling. If connected to your iPhone, iOS will automatically use AAC.

Nevertheless, for me, the crackling and stuttering still show up, though not as often.

Agia
Participant
Registered since

Jan 15, 2021

Hey everyone. The previous comment by @Kmedian let me do some investigation in the Bluetooth codecs direction...

Disclaimer: Linux user here (Ubuntu specifically)

The NC 700 support only AAC or SBC. If you are on Ubuntu then you are probably using SBC.

Support for AAC is not there out of the box but by installing https://github.com/EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt you can activate it. Just install the package, restart pulseaudio and select the correct audio profile for your headphones in blueman-manager.

After doing that I noticed that the crackling reduced noticeably, but they are not totally gone, especially when connected to multiple sources. I haven't found out yet a way to change the codecs in my android phone: I am able to change the codecs in the dev options, but the change seems to have no effect and goes back to SBC.

I hope this helps