Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

I recently received a new pair of NC 700 headphones. They were giving me the stuttering issue even without sound playing from the second device. The Bose Music app was telling me they were on the latest firmware version (1.3.1) so I tried following the provided steps to reset the device:

@Anne_S wrote:

If you have identified this as an issue for you, there are couple of troubleshooting steps we would like you to try. Firstly, make sure that your Bose Music app is up-to-date (version 3.3.4) and then try a reset of your headphones:

1. Disconnect all cables from the headphones.

2. Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on.

3. Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup.

4, Release the Power/Bluetooth button when the Bluetooth light blinks blue.

Upon attempting step 3, when I connected the headphones using the provided USB-C cable, both the power light and bluetooth light flashed and then went dark. Now the headphones won't turn on at all and I can't even play audio through them by connecting them to a headphone jack. When I try to plug them in to charge, the power light does not turn on. The headphones are completely bricked.

Now that my headphones are a paperweight, I can't connect them to the Bose music app to find all the exact information that I need, but I will do my best with what I can remember / find without connecting them.

• Bose product model - NC 700
• Bose product firmware version - 1.3.1
• Bose app version - 4.0.1
• Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce - Headphones are completely dead. They will not power on, will not charge, will not play audio when connected to a headphone jack. To reproduce: Follow the recommended reset instructions (pasted above)
• Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur? - The audio stuttering issue has occurred for as long as I've had the headphones (less than 2 months). The stuttering would continue even with the second device muted. The stuttering would last far longer than just a few seconds, up to several minutes until I lost patience and turned off the bluetooth on my phone. The headphones died completely a few minutes ago
• What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9) - The two devices that I had connected to my headphones were Windows 10 PC, version 20H2, and Google Pixel 3, the stuttering issue occurred on both Android 10 and 11
• When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? My headphones have always exhibited the stuttering problem since I got them in July.
• Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any. I took the recommended steps to reset the headphones and it bricked them.

Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 Firmware Update - Stutter when Connected to Multiple Devices

Hey everyone,

Thank you to everyone who helped provide us with feedback regarding experiencing stutter with your NC700s when connected to multiple devices. I also want to thank you for your patience.

Today we released 1.7.0 and as a part of that we introduced a fix that should resolve stuttering you experience because of being connected to multiple devices and during VOIP calls. You can read the full release notes here.

If you experience any issues you believe are a result up updating your firmware to 1.7.0, please let us know in the comments of the release notes.

If you experience stuttering when connected to multiple devices, please reply to this thread with the following:

• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible)
    • Bose app version (screenshot if possible)
    • Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce
    • Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?
    • What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9)
    • When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?
    • Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any.

As we believe this issue is resolved, this thread will be locked at a later date if there are no further reports of this issue.

Thank you once more and we hope you enjoy the new firmware!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

Can confirm 1.7.0-10068+f3675e6 doesn't do anything to fix the intermittent stutter/static when connected to multiple devices via Bluetooth. Not noticeably worse or better, which means still pretty bad.

The issue is by far the most noticeable when playing a YouTube video on Chrome v85.0.4183.102 on my Macbook Pro (MacOS 10.15.6) while also connected to my iPhone X (iOS 13.7).

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Initial feeling: NOPE!

This update (1.7) does nothing for stuttering.. I played music after the update and in the very first minute there was stutter and in the 3.30 minute song, the headphones stuttered 4 times.

Devices: iPad Pro (iOS 13.7) and iPhone XS (iOS 13.7)

I will reset the device and test them to see if the issue magically gets fixed.

I will update here soon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2020

Updated via Google Assistant, it was completed within 10 seconds and restarted itself. Initially stuttering seemed to have improved on Windows 10 occurring between song switches using YouTube Music. On the second day, the stuttering came back worse than previously sometimes lasting a few seconds at once, and this happens regardless of multiple or single device connected but all from Windows 10, no stuttering experienced on Android. I don't believe this issue is properly fixed.unnamed.pngunnamed.jpg

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

After doing some tests, I can confirm 100% that the issues with 1.4.1 or 1.5.1 has not been fixed.. I still have the stuttering.

I reset the headphones, cleared bluetooth history from all devices, tried it on iOS 13.7 and iOS 14.

Devices: iPhone X, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro

With the firmware 1.4.1, I had stuttering only with my iPad and MacBook.. however, since 1.5.1 and now with 1.7, even my iPhone is stuttering.. This is highly unacceptable

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 27, 2020

For me the biggest shuttering appears, while I'm on the call from my PC and I pick my smartphone to do anything (both connected to headphones). This makes that between my PC and headphones there is another connected device and I guess that this makes the BT connection quality drop. It's mostly fine, while phone is resting aside and I don't touch it

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 1, 2020

Same, stuttering issue is still there after the new update. I tried everything listed above again as well. They started to disconnect when on zoom calls as well, even when only connected to one device. This is incredibly frustrating. I've been telling people to buy the XM4s instead because these feel like a waste of money right now. I wish we could get a reply acknowledging that the problem is still there, and any insight about what could be causing it.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 1, 2020

• Bose product firmware version (screenshot if possible): 1.7.0
    • Bose app version (screenshot if possible): 4.0.1
    • Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: Stuttering every time I'm connected to 2 devices, regardless of what they are. Now, when I am connected to one device via zoom, the Bose headphones disconnect after a few minutes.
    • Where do you run into the issue? Where and when did it first occur?: When I first got the headphones 8 months ago. Stuttering every time I'm connected to 2 devices
    • What services are you using that were affected and what version are they on? (E.g. iPad Pro on iOS 12.9): Macbook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.6, iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 13.7
    • When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?: The day I got the headphones 8 months ago. It never worked correctly.
    • Any troubleshooting steps you took and effects, if any.: I followed the very detailed steps listed by Bose representatives on this thread, returned them for repair and received a new pair, repeated the very detailed steps in this thread, and still run into this issue. I updated to the new software, repeated the steps again, and still have the stuttering issue.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

Using version 1.7 and i agree with the others, there no improvement in stuttering. This is between Pixel 3 and lenovo yoga running windows 10. Doesn't seem to matter what apps or what i'm going. It almost seems worse than before but possibly that is just my impression. For sure no improvement.