Noise Cancelling 700 missing details and features

Quiet Contributor

Noise Cancelling 700 missing details and features

Hi,

just looked at the new 700 and few important question marks arise in my head:

- "HiRes Audio" audio certification is missing? (Sony WH-1000XM3 has)

- can them be wired with 3.5mm jack?

- do they have Bluetooth 5 ?

- which frequencies they support? 20-20.000hz? There ´s nothing in specs...

Thanks for these not so trascurable details...

12 REPLIES 12
Quiet Contributor

Re: Noise Cancelling 700 missing details and feature

this is frustrating. I get that Bose is often targetting customers who don't care about specs, but many of us do.

There are so few specs listed. Do we have to wait for reviewers to test them?

They don't even list that it's USB-C. You have to check the product manual to see. Surely that's a big selling point!

Quiet Contributor

I have a feeling this is only designed for mobile devices again also.  How many people would expect to be able to use a $400 pair of headphone on their Windows or Apple computer?  I really wouldn't want to run into all the problems we had with compatibility with Bose BT headphones the last couple of years when competitors have no issues supporting desktop/laptops.

Wistful Whisperer

I have no issues with my windows laptop at all. Some competitors don't even have a multi-connect feature. So Bose is truly a winner in this territory.

I'm not excited with the news however. All I really want is improved sound quality, more effective noise cancellation on mid/high range, increased battery life and USB-C.

Wish they'd keep upgrading QC in that direction further.

Quiet Contributor

The missing of HiRes audio means that the sound level is not at the correct level compared to the selling price. The Sony ones are out since one year and are much better (with all specs on the website) of those. A pair of expensive headphones must just do one thing: sound good, then we can add featured to them.

Looking at specs, which are inexistent, it seems that it is another playtoy for kids who just want to show "Hej, look, I have the latest Bose product": pure marketing and no substance.

Wistful Whisperer

Personally I do not believe in bluetooth Hi-Res codecs.Check out "audiophile or audio fooled" on Youtube. Even a sound engineer can't clearly hear the difference between lossless and lossy sound quality. Aptx LL would be useful for whose who watch movies/videos a lot and suffers from latency, though.

If you are an audiphile, a dedicated sound card/amplifier + open-back wired headphones is the only available setup for you.

BT ANC phones like Bose QC is a general-purpose, well balanced solution which works pretty well in both noisy outdoor and quiet in-door environment with different audio sources. One shouldn't expect audiophile level sound quality from them. No magic here.

Quiet Contributor

You´re right but you can accomplish a very good result with also a cheap 400$ HiRes headphones...wired Smiley Wink and that´s what I was talking about. BT and HiRes are two different things that Sony WX1000-XM3 accomplished both one year ago and that´s why my disappointing of having, after a year, a lower product quality from Bose.

The Sony are HiRes (4–40 000 Hz), you can choose between best quality wired or best mobility BT (with an eccellent sound - LDAC 96 kHz sampling, 990 kbit/s) and also wired you can have noise reduction...and now I (don´t see) Bose new headphones specification...and laugh a lot!

Wistful Whisperer

Quiet Contributor

Interesting.

Looking forward to see the test of the 700.

Wistful Whiz

One thing that people are forgetting is that some of the Bose devices do not turn off - when you hit the OFF switch, it puts the device into BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) state that allows the device to be turned on from another app or another BT device.  The QC35ii turned off when put into OFF with the switch.  The Revolve, for example, goes into BLE state.  It would be nice to know what the 700 does (hopefully, stays totally off).