Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Noise-Cancelling Failure on MacBook

I just bought a 2019 MacBook Air for college. I was excited to use my Bose QC 35 ii's on my shiny new Mac when I was slapped with the failure of noise-cancellation on my QC 35s. 

To ellaborate, the afformentioned failure of the noise-cancellation is the same static background noise the QC 35 makes when used on a call. I use my QC 35s on an iPhone 7 running iOS 12.0. They work flawlessly on the iPhone and the static is only introduced when I take calls on my iPhone with the headphones connected. When I connect my 35s to my MacBook running macOS Mojave 10.14.6, the static produced by the 35s when on a call is played constantly. I am able to hear all noise around me. I run firmware version 4.5.2 on the 35s. This static sound drastically decreases audio quality in all aspects when connected to the MacBook.. I have tried playing YouTube, Spotify, and Netflix from my MacBook to the 35s and the audio quality is significantly muddled compared to running the same applications from my iPhone to my 35s.

Please help me resolve this issue so I can use my QC 35s on my MacBook.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Noise-Cancelling Failure on MacBook

Hello Jeramy, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so sorry that you are having issues when connecting your QC35 II headphones to your MacBook Air and I would love to help you to resolve them. 

To start with, could you please try the following steps and let me know how you get on?

• Go to btu.bose.com on a computer and update your headphones software. If the software was downloaded via the app I always like to complete the download again via a cable as this will ensure there were no faults. 
  • Perform a product reset, to do this, turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds and then plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds. After that unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute once you have completed this turn the headset back on.

If you are still having issues after completing these steps please do let me know as I would love to assist you further, it would be helpful to know how you are connecting the headphones and if you have tried to connect to any other laptops and had any issues?

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have tried your instuctions. I went to the Bose website and re-installed the update and reset my Bose headphones according to your instructions, though neither of them worked. Then I remembered the oldest trick in the book. Turn it off and back on again. I rebooted my MacBook and now my headphones sound pristine. Thank you for your advice and time!

-Jeramy

Highlighted

Hi Jeramy, 

thanks for updating us on your situation!

I'm so glad to hear that you are back up and running! 

If you require any further assistance, please reach out to us again! 

Kindest,

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

I know that the issue has been solved - butttttt this can reoccur often.

Typically a reboot helps, because it closes all 'other' apps. 

The problem of the background static is caused by **bleep** apps (looking at you Skype, WebEx, Zoom, GoToMeeting, et cetera) that open the microphone for no reason, which then messes with the noise cancellation .

So if this happens more often, don't just reboot every time; but look for that rogue app.