Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 Excessive Clamping Force

Friendly Fanatic

Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 Excessive Clamping Force

I’ve owned my NCH 700 for a full week now, and my primary complaint is the headband clamping force. After spending all week reading other people’s impressions of the headphone online, it seems that this is one of, if not the most common complaint from anyone who has worn the NCH 700 for more than just a couple of minutes.

Out of the box, it is ridiculously excessive. I didn’t want to return my pair, because I do like almost everything else about them. So, I tried stretching mine out over a box for several nights. It did help, and now comfort is borderline good enough for me.

That being said, I shouldn’t have to do this to a new $400 pair of headphones. Bose, this is literally the most uncomfortable over ear headphone you have ever made. And the discomfort stands out even more when compared directly to the blissful experience of wearing the QC35.

Bose should listen to the majority of people who’ve bought or extensively tested the NCH 700, and do something to remedy this literal and figurative pain point. If at all possible, the next production run of the headphone should be slightly altered to reduce the clamping force of the headband.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 Excessive Clamping Force

Hi JoePR31,

Thank you for posting to the Bose Community and Welcome!

I have marked your post as a feature request so that the relevant team can view this.

Thank you for your feedback!

Have a great day!

Kindest,

Jessie O - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Where do you feel the discomfort when wearing them? At the top of your head, or around your ears, or elsewhere?

I wear the NC 700s for 8-10 hours per day, and the only comfort issue for me is where the top of the headband touches my head. There just isn't enough padding up there for my head (I also have that issue with Sony's latest competing product). I ended up buying a zip-on headband pad that was designed for the QC15, added a thin layer of memory foam inside it, and put that on over the NC 700's headband. It was a quick and cheap fix - now they're just as comfortable as my QC35s.

Friendly Fanatic

My discomfort was only on and around my ears. Never had any issues at the top of my head. It was cause by excessive headband clamping force. I’ve stretched my headband out and the comfort is now acceptable, but still not great.

Friendly Fanatic

Just literally got mine 10 mins ago and they’re quite fine for me and I have a super big head

YMMV but I just want to vouch that they fit my head fine

Friendly Fanatic

Glad to hear you were able to stretch them to fit acceptably. Do you plan to stretch them further?

I did that with a clampy pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros back in the day. I kept putting them on a "stretching platform" every night for a couple months until they fit better.

Audible Advocate

Same thing here. I really like the headphones overall (excluding its app) but it's feeling quite umconfortable on my ears now. I'll try to strech it or I'll try the xm3.

@JoePR31 wrote:

My discomfort was only on and around my ears. Never had any issues at the top of my head. It was cause by excessive headband clamping force. I’ve stretched my headband out and the comfort is now acceptable, but still not great.

This is a really uncomfortable headphone. Will all the good feature i still need to return as it justs puts too much force on ears