Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 - Firmware 1.3.1 - November 18 2019

hey @Wayne_M 

I believe the NC has decreased in the last two updates. Please don’t make this into a QC35II problem as this 1 of the main reasons I updated to the NC700s. 6 months the QC35II problem has taken before Bose is giving an update. We can’t afford another 6 months with the NC700s. Also I’ve noticed the connection problem when an iphone and iPad is connected when answering calls on the iphone. It has problems holding both devices when either device can take your call. Please fix this.

many thanks,

Rhys 

[Moderator edit]

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

This conversation has peaked my intrigue as I am a new owner of the Bose NC 700.

I am still within my refund window period but at the same time I am enjoying these premium headphones.

Now, I do not wish to start any arguments but simply want to get down to the facts. I have seen this type of response on countless products out there where all that the customers can provide are anecdotal experiences. While the corporation (Bose in this case) remains silent which not only aggravates but also loses the trust of all those who look in. 

I want to know if there are any scientific tests that can be done that pits pre-update Bose NC 700 headphones vs post-update Bose NC 700 headphones. If Bose or someone with the resources can prove a decrease in NC quality due to the updates would alleviate this silent cold war. 

I know that when one person speaks negatively due to an issue, the perceived "possible placebo" effect can ensue upon all those who are reading. It is well known that we humans can blow things out of proportion and join an "in group". However, I do not want to rule out the experiences we as customers do experience. 

What I am asking for will probably never come to fruition but I ask because I will need to make a decision soon whether I will keep these Bose NC 700 or refund them and go to the much acclaimed Sony WH-1000MX3

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Hi,

After update I felt good improvement in sound quality compare with previous firmware but after using several days I found below issues

1. Noise cancelling is not effective and I can hear the talk of people around me. 
2. When traveling in bus during slight vibrations due to bumps on road, there is a distortion while listening to music. 
3. Sound quality goes really bad after few days of usage and I have to unpair Headphone, reset and pair back which fixes the quality but have to do every few days. 

We do not expect these kind of issues in premium price tag and from Bose which is leader in Noise cancelling. 

Please fix the problems ASAP and mostly all are due to firmware as I do not have issue with firmware shipped initially. 

Thanks,

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 24, 2019

Winterbox, if I was still in my return window, I'd return the Bose 700 in a heartbeat. If you don't need "multi-point connection" (the only reason why I bought the 700) the Sony WH-1000MX3 are way waaay better in every other aspect.

• noise cancellation was on par but Bose ruined it on the 700s in last update
  • sound quality is way better on Sony
  • App is better on Sony and it actually works
  • Sonys are more comfotable
  • Sonys have a foldable design
  • battery life is better on Sonys
  • BT connection is much more stable on Sonys, I have audio cut off and crackling sounds ALL THE TIME with the Bose when connected to laptop and Samsung Note.
  • Touch buttons are about the same

I think microphones for calls are better on the Bose but I never had any issues with Sonys, you might really notice is you like to take calls while walking on a loud street.

I've had all kind of bugs and problems with my Bose 700, I'm really sad my return period is over. I bought because of the multi-point "feature" but it doesn't even work. If Bose can't add a way to switch between devices like with the QC II in the next couple months, I'll have to sell these at a big loss.

I'm really looking forward for Sony to come with a new pair with multi point or with a button to easily switch between paired devices, that would make the Sonys perfect for me.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Sadly, SonyMX3s (almost two years old headphones), are still the king of ANC. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Having owned both qc25 and xm2’s before, Sony is way ahead in nc regarding voices and is the undisputed champ in an office setting.

However, the xm2 and xm3 are completely, utterly useless, no hyperbole, for making calls. They will literally boost the surrounding noise so that whomever is on the other end of the call will barely hear you, I had to start taking them off when making calls and have 2 colleagues with the same experience. That is the reason I got the 700’s instead, now I can finally have phone conversations in busy environments again, even on the subway. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

and you like the 700's? no problem with the latest fw for those?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 15, 2019

Well, I truly love them for making calls, but I do have a big issue with the multipoint BT connection (see 3rd reply in this thread).

I do agree that the overall NC seem a bit weaker than I expected. I would place them on par, or slightly below my qc25’s and definitely below my xm2’s on busy streets/subways/office - but it’s really hard to judge. Both Bose’s excel when flying though.

I can’t say that I noticed any degradation as I went from fw 1.2.11 to 1.3.1 - which are the only fw’s I’ve been running. And I haven’t experienced any distortion that other’s are reporting. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

I wonder what "improvement to multi-point connections" means. I found that it got even worse after the update. I have my headphones connected to my Samsung Galaxy S8 and my Lenovo laptop and it's practically unusable. It might work for a couple of minutes but as soon as you pause a song or turn the headphones on and off or change the device you're listening to it just goes bonkers. Sound keeps cutting of constantly. it's real choppy. Using the headphones for making calls on the laptop just never worked either. The mic is not recognized by windows. I ended up disconnecting from my laptop and only using my phone. It's a shame because the multi-point connection was the main reason why I choose the bose headphones instead of the Sony 1000. I feel a bit screwed now. I really hope Bose solves this in a future update.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

May 25, 2019

Fully agree, in addition to previous comment, Skype and more generaly Windows alerts on the bad quality of the mic signal with the headset in BT, and all other people on the meetings complains about the bad quality and when we want ton speak during the meeting.

It is just inacceptable to have this kind of issue for a product than can be fully dedicated to open space working with standards communication tools on a PC.

Please correct ASAP, I'm just fed up to have an issue with all Bose product i bought:

Soundbar500 : cracking issue

Home 500: disconnect and screen issue

Frame : volume and sound signature issue 

NC700 bluetooth issue in multi point with bad sound quality 

Don't you ever come with achieved firmware on Bose side when releasing a product ? and especially taking weeks also months to solve issues with new firmware ( and I don't mention SleepBuds)