Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 - Firmware 1.3.1 - November 18 2019

And now they have the Bose 700NC on sale at their website for $50 off. Because when the UC comes out who would want to buy the NC version, if it is the same and supports flawless  pairing with your computer for conferencing? So hurry the old models out the door. The 700 UC is also in a totally different area of the website, hard to find.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2020

Willing to bet the UC's, being 'Bose Pro' are available only via channel resellers, not consumer direct.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 9, 2020

I see they are listed on the Bose website but no price, so you may be correct. If so that would be a stunning letdown to Bose customers who bought the 700NC expecting them to be used with a computer. Nothing Pro about that use, since we all use a computer. I don't remember seeing that exclusion when I bought them nor was it mentioned in any professional reviews. But hey these headphones are also "not meant to be used to watch TV" because the supported Bluetooth codecs are not low latency. One should buy a separate set of Bose earphones to watch TV I guess. 

Finally in reviewing this forum even recently there have been many complaining about Bluetooth connecting to computers and mention that "we will let the development team know," meanwhile there is a solution but not for Bose 700NC customers. 

They could offer the chip  as an accessory or free upgrade with an accompanying firmware update to support the chip, since the promo video says the UC are the same as NC except that the UC supports computer connection with a proprietary dongle.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

offering the BT chip as an accessory add-on to your already bought NC700, if not too expensive could turn the tide, yes. But it all depends on wether the rest is indeed 100% identical to the UC variant except for the label slapped on the side of the box.

problem is that I have only 2 USB ports on my laptop, and when working on Customer location, I need one for my wireless and one for my DisplayPort to HDMI converter leaving exactly none for an additional proprietary UC adapter.

Means I would have to buy and drag around an usb hub as well. See where this is going?

I certainly would have to see that and be guaranteed to keep working regardless of dodgy firmware updates like the 1.3.1 here.

so c’mon Bose, do some hints on what you’re prepared to do to come through for your customers

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

Same issue for me with firmware 1.3.1

When I'm using multipoint (smartphone and laptop connected at the same time) I notice distortion during phone calls on my smartphone. Disconnecting my laptop resolves the problem.

I'd really appreciate a statement from Bose.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 9, 2020

Sorry looking for customer services

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 24, 2020

When will there be another firmware and app update to fix the multi-point disconnect/reconnect issue that makes it impossible to have long conversations? When I'm multi-connected with my laptop and iPhone X, and I'm in the middle of call or stream session, the app will disconnect after a time. It should remain connected until I shut off the headphones. I don't have this kind of problem with my apple AirPods. When I pay more for a good pair of headphones Bluetooth connectivity should be solid and well tested. 

Also, I've tried re-applying firmware, rebooting, etc... and this doesn't fix the problem (Also on the latest iOS version as well). So this is either an issue with the App or the firmware. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 12, 2020

HI,

I just register here after reading comments on this forum. I'm torn between Bose 700 and XM3, and just when I started to lean towards Bose because of the multipoint connection and better mic quality, I stumbled upon this thread and now I'm not sure that they are the better choice. 400€ is a lot of money to stand problems like that are mentioned here. What would you suggest me to do? Skip them?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2019

It depends on what your primary purpose are for the headphones and if you only plan to have one pair for 

a) Music

b) Teleconferences

c) Commuting

So general purpose.

Then I would wait for Sony XM4's which will be released soon, these will probably have multipoint and better sound quality and better teleconference capability as this is what they lack now.

If your primary purpose is 

a) Teleconferences

Then I would get the Bose 700 UC (Just released, comes with a USB Bluetooth dongle)

If your primary purpose is

a) high quality sound (Noise cancelling 90% compared to Bose and Sony 98%) and better quality materials.)(Poor software - Sony the best for tuning sound)

The I would get B&O H9 3rd Gen

Unfortunately at this point in time there is no noise cancelling over ear headphone that provides all these factors, there is no "Golden Headphone" hahaha.

So for me the perfect travelling headphone would have these characteristics in this order.

1. Comfort (Not to heavy, can wear for extended periods, fit my head and ears)

(And big point when you take them off and wear them around your neck ear cups must not face outward... like Bose 700)

2. Sound quality (B&O and Sony are known for the quality of their sound)

2. Noise cancellation (If you are in a noisy space no point in having high quality headphones if you can't hear them)

3. Teleconference quality

4. Battery Life

5. Multipoint

So my perfect headphone would be.

1. B&O sound quality

2. Bose or Sony noise cancelling, they are both excellent, Sony is better at eliminating high frequencies i.e voices.

3. Bose telecon call quality

4. Sony Battery Life

5. B&O build quality

6. Sony software

7. Bose multipoint

8. Apple AirPods Pro ease of connectivity (It's not over ear but would be nice to have this)

9. Bose QC 35 foldability (I really miss this)

10. Bose QC 35 physical control buttons (Miss this as well no margin for error)

So looking back to buy headphones for just a single quality may be wasteful, although I do use my Bose 700 all the time for teleconferences, just because they are the best for voice quality and have had no complaints about people not being able to hear me properly.

But then when I want to listen to music I go back to my B&O H9i

I previously had the Sony XM2's but sold them as they did not do anything very well and telecon quality was very bad, not sure about the XM3's but I hear they are a bit better in that regard.

I also had the B&W PX's , sound fantastic but way too heavy for my head so I gave those away to a buddy.

In addition I love the build quality of the B&O's , leather headband quality feel compared to the Sony's and Bose.

So difficult choice, as I said previously depends on your primary purpose,

I have given up now, so I will just collect all of them as I am an Audio Nut 🙂

It's like comparing car's , no car will have all the best features.

You either have to choose what suits you, or buy them all 🙂

Another caveat, all these headphones have  software have been buggy buggy buggy, the only ones that have not been buggy are the original Bose QC 35's which I never upgraded after I bought them.

If you are looking for cheaper headphones buy the Bose QC 35 II, the sound signature in my opinion is much better than the 700, with nearly equivalent noise cancelling and the comfort is much better and they fold up, not sure about the current firmware though.

Good Luck my friend, your headphone journey has just begun 🙂

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

May 25, 2019

Plesae Bose, like the QC35 II let us the possibility to DOWNGRADE  and choose the firmware we want while waiting firmware 1.3.1 fixing or furnishing usb BT + dongle  + firmware .... 

i just receive my replacement headset, everything was fine on the 1.1.4 out of the box (connexion, non oppressive ANC, clarity, plenty of sound ....) and the I got the 1.3.1 automatically .... and then I got again all the the pbs of this firmware (multiple connexions, teams, skype cut, oppressive ANC, feeling of compressed sound field on music etc ... )

For example on the forum we have this opinion: 

i will share my opinions about the updates that nc700 has gotten. I've downgraded a lot, believe me 😕 (if someone know how I take beacuse impossible to find on the internet) 

from best to worst in terms of music quality

v1.0.9 > v1.1.4 > 1.3.1 > v.1.2.11 ( v1.0.9 had the quality even better than 1000xm3 )

from best to worst in terms of stability

1.1.4 > 1.3.1 = 1.2.11 >>>>> 1.0.9 (v1.0.9 is terrible unfortunately)

We need a version update with a music quality of 1.0.9 and a stability of 1.1.4.