Highlighted
Richard86
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 2, 2019

Noise cancellation during phone calls

To preface, this is not a complaint, my partner and I both purchased the QC 35 II and it has changed our lives, the ambient stress from just stepping outside the door has been relieved completely, we can go to concerts or festivals, loud places where we used to feel ripped apart and mentally assaulted by the environment, we now both work at jobs that we would formerly not be able to tolerate for a day, and I have been able to retire my heavy metal collection as a permanent noisecancelling tool to when I desire to hear music, thank you so much Bose for your wonderful product, we researched and tried far more expensive options and yours is the best!

There is something that could use a tweak though, when I started using my headset most of the day, nearly all of my phone contacts remarked on how loud it is around me, I have to repeat things often since it was unclear on their side, talking to someone on a landline with an older phone is like talking to a deaf person. I have tested being on the receiving end and found that the ambient noise is extremely high compared to the voice of the caller when they are using the headset. This is multiplied strongly when my partner and I call each other on our respective headsets, I spent an hour with your very understanding and efficient support staff after our first call, thinking something was wrong with my set. We have to turn the in-call volume down very low and speak loud. Even then when I turn on a faucet she hears a waterfall, when someone with a shopping cart walks by 10 meters away, I'm hearing all the cymbals on a drumset going off at once, and when an actually loud sound goes off nearby...you get the picture.

I'd like to suggest an additional feature, since the product is (I assume) created for those with highly sensitive hearing or with impairments that make blocking out ambient noise impossible.

Could you make an option on the app that allows noise-cancellation to remain active during calls? I imagine this would be appreciated by all who use your noise-cancelling products as a permanent solution.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Noise cancellation during phone calls

Hi there @Richard86 and welcome to our Bose Community!

I'm glad to hear of the positive experience(s) you and your partner have had with our QC35 II headphones, and we always enjoy reading feedback like this!

With regards to the microphone sensitivity, the headset microphones will automatically adjust the gain (microphone volume) for “low talkers”. In a loud environment where there are voices in the background, it’s possible the microphones will pick up those background voices and bring up the gain in the way you have experienced here. My advice may sound odd, here, but I would recommend that you try talking louder - talking louder allows the communication microphone to pick up your voice over background voices and/or sounds in the same frequency range, and will adjust the gain so less background sound is heard.

As far as noise-cancelling on calls go, this should stay on whatever level you had this set at before taking the call. While the on-board control is disabled, you can still change this manually from the Bose Connect app to toggle in between these. Pressing Home/Back on most mobile devices will let you back out of a phone call but leave the call connected, allowing you to alter this.

I would recommend that you check this - if your noise-cancelling is still not working as intended, please return to me to let me know!

Liam W - Community Support

Richard86
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 2, 2019

Apologies that this is late, I assume there was a notification for the reply that I missed. I have just tried and confirmed that noise reduction is still active, you can switch between the 3 options in the app during a phone call, and the difference is clear, but my statement remains as is, the moment you press call, there's a switch in the sound that opens you up to the world and all background noise is amplified, I logged in to add that I just visited a relative in a retirement home and asked some residents to try the headphones, to get a view from the other side of hearing sensitivity, they were unanimously agreed that once a call was placed it felt like they had turned their hearing aids on, I gave no warning of when I pressed call from the phone but they could hear the switch and liked the result. So it's not just me being over-sensitive as I might have thought when trying on other people with seemingly normal hearing and reaction to loud noise who could probably sleep in a beehive, 2 weren't even able to differentiate between noise reduction seetings at all, lol. Again this is just feedback in the hopes of improving your life-changing product. 

SebGatica
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Hi there,

jumping in on this thread as I have the same issue. There is no question about the effectiveness of the noise-cancellation aspect. I do most of my work/studies in a coffee shop and can barely here what's going on around me. Terrific. However, the moment I receive a call, it's as if the headphones have the complete opposite affect, picking up every sound and making the conversation nearly impossible for the person on the other end. 

This is a really big issue, as i purposefully purchased these based on the fact it would be able to receive calls clearly...which is something I raised at the Bose retail shop when i purchased these a month ago. I take enough calls that this is beginning to be a hassle.

Is there really no solution to this? I would hate to try and have to switch from these great headphones over the fact it can be used to take calls.

Any and all advice is appreciated. 

Hello SebGatica, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your microphone whilst on calls with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

I would recommend in reading what Liam_W has previously stated within this thread which highlights how the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 microphones function. If this does not provide any improvements, we will still be more than happy to provide some assistance. 

• Does this occur across all services that you take calls on?
  • Does this also occur across all devices that you take calls?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

SebGatica
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Hi Tegan,

thanks for the quick reply. Just for clarification, i own the QC 35 Series ii. 

Not sure that speaking louder is an effective solution in this case. As mentioned, i take calls in public places and prefer not to be so loud as to distract others. 

To answer your specific questions:

• Does this occur across all services that you take calls on? Not sure what you mean by this
  • Does this also occur across all devices that you take calls? No - my Apple airpods do not have this issue, nor does speaking directly into my iPhone, only when i take calls with my Bose on.

Thanks again.

Hello SebGatica,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your QC35 II headphones still. We can go through some troubleshooting to try to get this resolved for you, let's start with a product reset and clearing the pairing list. 

To reset your product:

1. Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
  2. Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
  4. Power on your product.

To clear the product memory of connected Bluetooth® devices:

1. Power on your headset
  2. Slide the Power switch to the Bluetooth icon and hold it for 10 seconds until you hear Bluetooth device list cleared.

I hope this helps, please let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C