Highlighted
Dezza
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Noise cancellation over compensating

I catch one bus and one train per day. The bus is mildly bumpy and rattles seats, doors etc. And the headphones make a deep low rumble like when the bass is too much on a speaker when going over bumps for instance. When on the train the deep hum of the engine does a similar thing but can feel the headphones rumbling. Also if i rest my head against the seat the vibrations make me hear the engine louder. Discussing this with colleagues with similar Sony models have no clue what I'm talking about. Bose 700, is this normal? Even with noise cancellation at 0 same things happen almost like the speaker is flapping or trying too hard to compensate.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Noise cancellation over compensating

Hi Dezza, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. I am deeply sorry to hear that you have encountered some issues with your NCH - 700 and would love to assist you further. 

Firstly, can you please confirm if this happens across all songs and devices? I would highly recommend that you ensure that the headphones are running the latest update by connecting them to your PC and visiting Btu.bose.com as well as performing a reset by: 

• Disconnect all cables from the headphones
  • Connect one end of the USB cable to a USB-A wall charger or computer that is powered on
  • Press and hold the Power/Bluetooth® button while connecting the small end of the USB cable into the USB-C port on the right earcup
  • Release the Power/Bluetooth button after 2 seconds

Please do ensure that the cushions are seated firmly on your ears and to move away from hard surfaces as this can cause reflected sound that can have an effect on the Noise Cancellation.

Please update the community on the result of these steps, as we look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Dezza
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Hi Hector_B

Thanks for your response.

I am already running the latest version.

I haven't tried across different types of songs i generally listen to bass heavy music ie. Techno. I do somewhat recall the kind of sub level distortion even when nothing is playing though. Will do some more tests tomorrow and feedback.

Thanks

Dezza
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

So i tried a return journey with my normal music and the next day just podcasts with just speaking. I found that it's practically the same regardless of what is being listened to.

What i did notice is that when there are loud thuds outside eg. Going over a pothole then it's as if the noise cancellation is trying but the speaker can't deal with the lower frequency and distorts. It would be nice if this could be tested further by Bose engineers so it doesn't spoil the sound and try emit frequencies it can't handle. Other than that very happy with the product

hey Dezza, 

Thanks for reaching back out to us.  

I am so sorry you are still having this issue.

As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us.

If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W