Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2020

Noise-cancelling Bose 700 HP Headphones + laptop microphone: people can hear me, I can't hear them

I have set the output in my Windows 10 laptop's 'Sound' settings to:

Ouput: Headphones (Bose NC 700 HP Stereo)

Input: Headset (Bose NC 700 HP Hands-Free FG Audio)

Weirdly, when on a call over the likes of Google Hangouts or Slack, I can hear myself and (apparently) others on the call can hear me fine, but I can't hear them.

Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2020

Re: Noise-cancelling Bose 700 HP Headphones + laptop microphone: people can hear me, I can't hear...

Author Accepted Answer selected by ahtopalian1

Hey all- problem solved!

Just wanted to explain how I fixed it below, especially since the fix was so simple.

Annotation 2020-09-03 103105.png

All I did was change the playback device from 'Headphones (Bose NC 700 HP Stereo) to the one highlighted.  The above menu can be accessed by clicking on the little "speaker" icon in your taskbar and opening the menu just above the volume bar.

Hope that helps others who encounter the same issue!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Noise-cancelling Bose 700 HP Headphones + laptop microphone: people can hear me, I can't hear...

Hey @ahtopalian1,

I can imagine that is quite frustrating - what device/PC are you connecting the headphones to when making calls? Do you encounter issues with people not being able to hear you when making a call on a different device such as a cellphone or tablet? Have you tried resetting the device you're currently using to see if this helps at all?

Also, have you checked all audio settings on Google Hangouts and Slack, to be sure they're not defaulting to a different output device for audio?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2020

Hey Sam, thanks for the quick reply!

I know a lot of people struggle with bluetooth headphones and Windows in general, so I'm hoping you can help me resolve the issue as I mainly bought these because of the mic's strong reviews.

Re your questions:

• My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 9560 running Windows 10.
  • People can hear me fine, and I them, when using the headphones on calls from my mobile.
  • I have indeed tried restarting the device.
  • And I have also checked the settings on the apps themselves- all good there.
Highlighted

Hi ahtopalian,

Thanks for letting us know that! 

I do know some software like slack and Google Hangouts will have a separate audio input and output menu that won't always use the same default device as you have set on the computer. If you make sure the programs themselves are also set to use your headphones, you will then get sound from the headphones on a call.

To set this on Slack, you will want to follow these steps from the Slack website:

• Click the gear icon Settings in the top left corner of the call window. 
  • Select your input or output source to open a drop-down menu, and select your preferred microphone and speaker. You can switch between sources to see which ones work. 
  • To test your microphone, say a few words and check that the voice meter moves up and down while you're speaking. 
  • To check your speaker, click Test. You'll hear a chime if your speaker is unmuted and working correctly.  

On Hangouts it is a similar process, you can check the settings by following these steps from the Google Hangout support page:

• At the top of your video call window, click Settings Settings.
  • Make sure the correct device is selected for each setting (change it using the Down arrow Down arrow):
    • Microphone: To test your microphone, speak out loud and ask if the other person can hear you.
    • Speakers: To test your speakers, click Test.

Let me know how this goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 1, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by ahtopalian1

Hey all- problem solved!

Just wanted to explain how I fixed it below, especially since the fix was so simple.

Annotation 2020-09-03 103105.png

All I did was change the playback device from 'Headphones (Bose NC 700 HP Stereo) to the one highlighted.  The above menu can be accessed by clicking on the little "speaker" icon in your taskbar and opening the menu just above the volume bar.

Hope that helps others who encounter the same issue!

View solution in original post