Options to downgrade

Audible Advocate

Options to downgrade

Good evening,

I apologize in advance if this subject has been discuss previously.  Apparantly several folks have experienced problems with the firmware updates on QC35ii, recently to 4.3.6.  Whether it some white noise, or lessen ANC, or whatever other problems. 

Based on what I gather, the old/stock Bose 2.0.1 firmware was the BEST firmware Bose ever came out.  That begs the question why won't Bose leave the option to downgrade to whatever version, ie 2.0.1, or 3.1.8 to the customer? Or at least provided the stock firmware.  Yes, I completely understand that firmware upgrade is a good thing but sometimes it is not.  Since my QC35ii has SN that ends in AE, I do not qualify for the Bose AR feature in which the main reason why users have to upgrade to 4.3.6.  Having the option to rollback is a good thing.  I believe I am not the only one that want this feature to be available.  

When I got my QC35ii, I (regretly) upgraded to 3.1.8 and 4.3.6 recently.  Granted all firmware update went well but there is that doubt in the back of my mind that the ANC isn't as tight as it should be (comparing to when I tried it at the store (Best Buy).  My previous ANC headphones were Sony WH-1000 XM2, so I (think) have an idea what a good/decent ANC level should be. 

Thank you, 

Steve

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Options to downgrade

Hi Steve, 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We do not have the option to roll back firmware as the firmware updates often contain bug fixes which resolve issues that have been reported with previous firmware versions. 

We feel that by downgrading the firmware, previous issues which were deemed resolved will begin to resurface. 

I hope this helps and have a great day!

Jessie_O - Community Support

Audible Advocate

ridiculous

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

No, it's not ridiculous.  The Moderator stated the reasoning.

Audible Advocate

Sorry guy, I mean the answer of the  bose officer  is ridiculous.

Audible Advocate

I want to  downgrade my QC 35-2 too, 
becouse  my headphone  with 3.1.8  get a  low  ANC

Animated Arbiter

If people already have problems because of upgrading, then they are not going to lose out by downgrading.

They should have a choice.

There doesn't seem to be a cumalative effect any way.

Upgrading or downgrading seems to produce random results.

Upgrading firmware shouldn't be like playing Russian Roulette with your expensive equipement.

But we have already established that the AZ batch with the AR tech seems to be part of the problem.

Audible Advocate

Good morning @Jessie_O , 

Thank you for your reply. "We feel that by downgrading the firmware, previous issues which were deemed resolved will begin to resurface." I agree with your statement.  Yes, I completely understand the purpose of FW upgrade, fix bugs, and add enhancement, etc.  However, with the same logic, why won't Bose make the base FW such as 2.0.1 available for the "rebel" users?  Just think of it as "use it at your own risk" scenario.  Obviously and hopefully, a reputable company such as Bose did not release a product such as QC35ii with "defective" FW to the market to begin with, right?  

Happy Friday and have a great weekend. 

Steve

Vocal Volunteer

I am guessing it is a 'policy from above' - there moderators are just passing it on.  It is highly unlikely we will know what made them change their minds last year.  I am guessing it was a 'resourcing' issue - (a) too expensive to create and support a mechanism to install a different firmware version and (b) keeping two versions out there requires implied support and troubleshooting for both versions.  The concept of being able regress software has imho been slowly slipping away over the years.  In the PC era, we kept or had access to multiple versions of our software (heck, even recently I had four different sets of drivers that Intel still maintains for its Bluetooth hardware).  I could access it remotely or download and use it to my hearts content.  Most people (other than the technies) have had no way with the advent of smart devices to maintain multiple versions of their apps and regress if they don't like the upgrade.  Same thing has been true for most firmware upgrades.

There have been 'alternatives' if someone want to 'step up to the plate'... While I am not personally advocating this I will merely provide a data point (keeping in mind when updating is not done directly by the vendor, they will stop supporting their product).  I have some 'dashcams'.  And in the case of one of them, a non-company person figured out how to update the firmware and maintains a web site with various firmware versions for the dashcam.  Keep also in mind/and be forwarned, that Bose firmware for any of its products is its intellectual/copyright property and creating such as web site could result in legal issues.

We can continue to 'vent' here but imho our forum is for shared opinions and we can hope Bose people other than our moderators read our opinions, but I now suspect that the decision to offer only new firmware updates is pretty solid and we will not likely be able to change that in the near term.

Audible Advocate

Thank you for all of you that read and replied to this post.  I was hoping that Bose sees this post as feature request.  However as @joelirwin points out the decision has been made from the top.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Steve