Pairing Bluetooth headphones with PC

SOLVED

Pairing Bluetooth headphones with PC

Hi all,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. We are aware that many of our users like to use their products with their computers and are subsequently experiencing various issues, some of which can be resolved by troubleshooting.

In an attempt to provide you with all the useful information we have, we have compiled a list of everything that we know about using Bluetooth audio devices on computers both Windows and Mac that you can see here:

Computer Related Informational Post

We would encourage everyone to go through this thread because it contains many helpful tips that we have collected from around the community that could help you with your specific issue as well. We want to continue learning any new information or tips that you may have or discover going forward. We would like to help make your experiences as enjoyable as possible.

Please post anything that you find helps!

Thanks for reading everyone,

Your Forum Moderators

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pairing Bluetooth headphones with a PC

Hi all,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. We are aware that many of our users like to use their products with their computers and are subsequently experiencing various issues, some of which can be resolved by troubleshooting.

In an attempt to provide you with all the useful information we have, we have compiled a list of everything that we know about using Bluetooth audio devices on computers both Windows and Mac that you can see here:

Computer Related Informational Post

We would encourage everyone to go through this thread because it contains many helpful tips that we have collected from around the community that could help you with your specific issue as well. We want to continue learning any new information or tips that you may have or discover going forward. We would like help make your experiences as enjoyable as possible.

Please post anything that you find helps!

Thanks for reading everyone,

Your Forum Moderators

343 REPLIES
Audible Advocate

QC35 Windows 7 Compatibility (or lack thereof)

Can anyone give some suggestions on how to get the Bose QC35 headphones to work with a PC running Windows 7?  From what I can tell this is nearly impossible, based on Amazon reviews and a variety of forums across the internet.

I am able to successfully pair the headphones with my Bluetooth receiver, but from that point on the headphones remain in the "disconnected" state and are not available as an audio playback device.

The drivers for my Bluetooth receiver are up to date, as is my Windows 7 operating system and the firmware on the headphones.

Thank you for your time.

Re: QC35 Windows 7 Compatibility (or lack thereof)

Thanks for the question green_grocer. Microsoft has addressed the issue. They have posted solutions that have been reported to work for some users.  For the link to it CLICK HERE .

Let us know if we can help further.

Audible Advocate

I wouldn't say Microsoft addressed the issue.  Microsoft attempted to tell the users to uninstall/reinstall stuff, then when they figured out it was a little more complex than that, they dropped off the thread and haven't been heard from.  

Other users tried several different things, and a *FEW* have worked with somewhat mixed results.  It looks like the bottom line is that Microsoft and/or Intel needs to update the drivers for the Bluetooth devices in Windows 7, but they're doing nothing but finger-pointing at the moment.  It's too bad BOSE can't come up with a driver to fix it.

Audible Advocate

I agree that the linked thread (which I  had seen) was not particularly helpful.  I was able to get things working, but not using any of the information that was there.

I bought a different bluetooth adapter and after disabling and removing the old adapter and setting up the new one everything appears to be working properly.

That said, I don't think that any of the information here (neither the MS thread, or what I did) really counts as a solution.  "Buy a new adapter" is not a generalized solution to the problem especially since many of the people having trouble seem to all be using different adapters to begin with (which would suggest that the problem is general, rather than specific to some incompatible hardware).

Below is all of the relevant information regarding the problem I had and its solution in hopes that it helps someone else who comes across this thread:

Operating System:

Windows 7 x64, all updates installed.

Original Bluetooth Adapter:

Asus Z87 Pro Motherboard Built-in Bluetooth Adapter, (Bluetooth Driver V8.0.1.332)

New Bluetooth Adapter:

Elecom LBT-UAN05C1 Bluetooth USB Adapter (Driver, default as installed automatically by Windows upon connecting to the computer)

Both adapters running were on Bluetooth 4.0.  It's also worth noting that I was able to use the original adapter to pair my computer with other Bluetooth Devices such as my phone and successfully use them (e.g. playing the phone's music through the computer's speakers).  It was only after installing the new adapter that the headphones also worked.

edit: Based on my results, the only general advice I can give to people unable to pair with Windows 7 is to buy or borrow another adapter and try that.  Unfortunately, you really have no way of knowing whether the adapter you buy will work before you try it.  Good luck everyone.

Audible Advocate

Yes, I saw where another person bought a BT adaptor and got it working.

And like you, my current buit-in BT adaptor in my laptop is working fine with another BT device, albeit older as well.

My belief is that I shouldn't have to shell out more bucks simply because vendors refuse to support thier products.  It's pitiful that Intel is currently taking the stance "it's not our ef'ing problem" when in reality, it is.  I'm in IT myself and know it won't take but a few hours of a good dev's time to update the driver.

Quiet Contributor

I'm not sure that it is entirely a Windows 7 issue.  I have both a laptop and a desktop running Windows 7.  I can pair with my laptop just fine (and my iPhone), but no luck on my desktop.  Also, I can pair my Bose SLIII bluetooth speakers with my desktop just fine, so it isn't entirely the desktop either.  When I try to pair my QC35s with my desktop it says that it failed to pair due to an authentication error.  It says it might be due to the use of an incorrect pairing code.  I've run the Windows troubleshooter, which allowed me to pair my SLIII speakers, but didn't do anything to help with the QC35s.

Quiet Contributor

QC35 Windows 7 Issues

Hi everyone. I bought a pair of QC35s. They connect fine to my ipod, ipad and iphone. However, I cannot get them to work on my Dell laptop which runs Windows 7. I have tried ALL of the troubleshooting that I can find on the internet and this forum. I have installed, uninstalled, confirmed that the device is default, turned the microsoft enabler on and off etc etc etc. I can see from the audiobar that the sound is "working" eg the bars are moving as the song plays, but I cannot hear anything in my headphones. The pairing works seamlessly -no problem at all - I ensure all other devices are turned off, I ensure that the headphones are the default - but still nothing. I have been working on this for hours with no luck. I have tried the Microsoft helpdesk as well and tried what they suggested too.

I know that there is no problem with the headphones as they work on other devices. I know its not a problem of pairing because they pair to the laptop fine. I can see that the sound is "playing" somewhere - but nothing is coming thru the headphones.

Can someone tell me what I am missing? I am sure its a really easy fix. What can I do to get them working?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: QC35 Windows 7 Issues

Hi leveys

We should look in the Windows Device Manager to see if there is a problem there.

To Start Device Manager:
  1. Open the "Run" dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key ("Run").
  2. Type devmgmt.msc.
  3. Click to expand the Bluetooth category.
  4. Do you see Bose QC35 listed there? Is there an exclamation mark beside it? If so, right click Bose QC35 and then click Uninstall.
  5. In the Confirm Device Uninstall window, check the box Delete the driver software for this device (if available).
  6. Click OK to confirm and proceed with uninstallation.
  7. Once the uninstallation is complete, reboot the PC. 
  8. Pair the QC35 again.

Does that help?

ST

Quiet Contributor

Re: QC35 Windows 7 Issues

Thanks so much for trying to help me! I did as you suggested and the Bose headphones dont appear there. In fact, there is no standalone Bluetooth option. I see Bluetooth Radios and then I see Bluetooth Audio as a subset of Sound, video and game controllers, but there is no standalone Bluetooth option.

Do I need to have the headphones connected and paired when I do this?